Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

??? huh??? These came out years before the Reserve/Premium line. They're "just" regular ol' Rough Rider or Rough Ryder depending on how long ago they were made.
I had the single bolster Tortiose Trapper in 2015 or 2016. I don't recall the exact price I paid, but it was under $7. off the big river site.

The thread that was merged into here was one S slyraven started about 2 days ago asking about the new premium line.

Ended up with all of these. Barlow main nick sits very low on two examples.
Canoe is becoming my favorite. Peanut is 3" with a 2 and 1/4" main.
PKEk1AN.jpg

I7bBemx.jpg

7eTE7FK.jpg

K4X7nR2.jpg

Last edited:
Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

As others noted, the black paint can and does chip away but over all, a really well made folder and cutter, I emailed SMKW's asking why the price jumped up, as I wanted to get the green one too, but, no response ;) have a feeling that $14.99 was a mistake on someone's part, but even at the higher price, I'd recommend this one.

G2

Anyone have any first hand input on Rough Ryder T10 carbon vs 440a stainless? I own ~12 or so stainless RR's and like them, but do wish for a little more edge retention. There's a pattern I'm looking at available in carbon or with nicer covers in stainless.

Anyone have any first hand input on Rough Ryder T10 carbon vs 440a stainless? I own ~12 or so stainless RR's and like them, but do wish for a little more edge retention. There's a pattern I'm looking at available in carbon or with nicer covers in stainless.
I have the RR 1740 Classic Carbon large stockman, and RR2040 Classic Carbon two blade Barlow.
I aso have ... ummm ... "several"? ... "more than enough"? ... "too many"? ... Rough Rider/Rough Ryder with 440A.
Edge retention with the T10 is at least as good as my few 1095 knives, and on a par with the 440A. by Rough Rider/Rough Ruder/Marbles, and Vintage Schrade + knives I have. I think the T10 holds an edge slightly longer than the two Case 420HC "True Sharp" knives I have.

The T10 is a little more resistant to patina than 1095, in my experience.

Edge retention with the T10 is ... on a par with the 440A.

Thanks. Hmmm if its pretty well similar for edge retention I think I might just get the 440a stainless with more attractive covers.

Unrelated, I picked up the Queen Canoe and Wharncliffe (not pictured). They're everything you love about RR, but with classy unmarked stainless bolsters and a stylish shield. The new sawcut pattern looks and feels great.

1cyovHy.jpg

Last edited:
I spied an interesting new series incoming to the blue roof foggy mountain store. Called the Rough Ryder Classic Carbon Steel II, they look to have black micarta covers with blue liners and pewter shields. Note they don't say T-10 carbon steel, just "carbon steel blades". Excited to see these since I want carbon but I'm not feeling the shieldless blue denim series.

BactM7L.jpg

P25Lm92.jpg

Gr8 ... More that I "need". :(
The Scout, stockman, half hawk, Barlow, and canoe ... the moose if it wasn't a small.
Maybe it's time I give the bow trapper pattern a shot ...

Edit:
Hmmm ... The half hawk is only a single blade. I guess it can come off the list.

Last edited:
Edit:
Hmmm ... The half hawk is only a single blade. I guess it can come off the list.
The half hawk is available with a secondary pen blade in carbon blue denim micarta, or stainless smooth green bone (with pocket clip), and some dealers still have the black jigged coal miner half hawk.

Oh boy! Just found this one, new in its nice magnetic clasp box and still in the plastic slip. When I was very little, Hopalong Cassidy was my absolutely favorite TV show. I got to meet William Boyd once when he was on a promotional tour. I was much too shy to speak in his presence, but as I recall he was cheerful and kind. It's a pretty nice knife, too! I guess it would be considered a "moose" pattern.

51195152035_a6b2e8ce63_b.jpg

Last edited:
Super cool. 🤠 :thumbsup:
I've been looking for a Camillus Lone Ranger and Red Ryder, but I might have to pick up the Rough Ryder versions... The Camillus versions bring big dollars.
Pat at the knife shop told me a little about the history of these and how they were originally made by Camillus. I found this video comparing the Camillus and Rough Rider -- wow, quite a difference in price! A few observations after spending a little time with this knife: the fit and finish are amazingly good; both blades have half stops with flush springs at all three positions; the nail nicks are NOT matchstrike which I'm glad for, that's one of my least favorite features of most Rough Riders. Riders of the Silver Screen comparison

Oh boy! Just found this one, new in its nice magnetic clasp box and still in the plastic slip. When I was very little, Hopalong Cassidy was my absolutely favorite TV show. I got to meet William Boyd once when he was on an promotional tour. I was much to shy to speak in his presence, but as I recall he was cheerful and kind. It's a pretty nice knife, too! I guess it would be considered a "moose" pattern.

51195152035_a6b2e8ce63_b.jpg
They're good knives.
I've never been a Zoro fan, so I don't have his, but I do have Hoppy, Roy, Gene, and Red.
I've carried the Hoppy a few times.
I remember that he was the toughest of the lot. He used language stronger than "Well shucks." and "DaRn!"
When he ventured into the saloon, he was the only one brave (crazy?) enough to order beer and whiskey.
The others was all wimps that ordered Sarsaparilla (AKA: "Rootbeer") in a clean glass, even.

I spied an interesting new series incoming to the blue roof foggy mountain store. Called the Rough Ryder Classic Carbon Steel II, they look to have black micarta covers with blue liners and pewter shields. Note they don't say T-10 carbon steel, just "carbon steel blades". Excited to see these since I want carbon but I'm not feeling the shieldless blue denim series.

BactM7L.jpg

P25Lm92.jpg
Nice find. Notifications on for a swayback

Back