Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Is this typical of the RR Barlows? The main blade nail nick is inaccessible and if I adjust the kick on the secondary, the secondary nick will be too low...

wg8j82t.jpg

Yes. Common on many (some) RR knives. Same problem I had with a RR stockman - sheepsfoot blade nail nick was totally below the other blade.
I put a small piece of wadded up paper under the blade kick of mine. I'm basically through with RR knives. Just sloppy design or QC.
Anybody know/recommend other inexpensive but decent traditional brands?
Rich

Yes. Common on many (some) RR knives. Same problem I had with a RR stockman - sheepsfoot blade nail nick was totally below the other blade.
I put a small piece of wadded up paper under the blade kick of mine. I'm basically through with RR knives. Just sloppy design or QC.
Anybody know/recommend other inexpensive but decent traditional brands?
Marbles, the new Queen/Queen City? (I haven't tried the two Queen, but the reviews here were good.)
If you don't mind 3CR whatever MoV The BTI Imperial are pretty good.
For a bit more than the BTI Imperial, the BTI Old Timer (7CR17moV "440A equivelent" blades or if an "OTB" model, then 9CR18MoV "440C equivelent")
Some of the Marbles have D2, the rest are 440A.
In my experience, the offshore Buck 371 and 373 stockman and the 389 canoe are also good. I haven't tried any of the other patterns.

Cripple Creek Eureka Jacks are that way and I don't think anybody would question Bob Cargill's craftsmanship or quality. On those I just push down a little on the secondary as I access the nick on the primary. Or doesn't that work on the RR's for some reason?
CCEurekaStag-1.JPGCC Eureka Jack3.JPG
I note that Cargill liked match strike nicks also. Maybe RR is a fan :)

I have a "Mnt. shop" Queen barlow. Just a RR rebranded.
I don't have a Cripple Creek and mean no offense/disrespect to anyone, but if you can't easily access a blade on any knife, IMHO it's a poor design or manufacturer problem.
Rich

Is this typical of the RR Barlows? The main blade nail nick is inaccessible and if I adjust the kick on the secondary, the secondary nick will be too low...

wg8j82t.jpg
Not a representative sample, but I've never had trouble opening the two RR Barlows I own. Now that you point it out, I see that the main nick is pretty low. It's possible they set yours just a little too low.
wyiKoJ5.jpg

Cripple Creek Eureka Jacks are that way and I don't think anybody would question Bob Cargill's craftsmanship or quality. On those I just push down a little on the secondary as I access the nick on the primary. Or doesn't that work on the RR's for some reason?
View attachment 1601241View attachment 1601242
I note that Cargill liked match strike nicks also. Maybe RR is a fan :)
No offense to his quality or craftsmanship but, yeah, I'd call that a design flaw.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't find access to be a problem. Or any harder than any other pocket knife. On the CC your thumb just shoves the blade down. Its not even any extra motion. Are you guys saying that the secondary can't be moved out of the way? In that case, I'd agree.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't find access to be a problem. Or any harder than any other pocket knife. On the CC your thumb just shoves the blade down. Its not even any extra motion. Are you guys saying that the secondary can't be moved out of the way? In that case, I'd agree.
On mine, the pen blade doesn't push down without a lot of force. More than I can comfortably press with the back of my thumbnail, anyway. Perhaps you're right, in the case of the Cargill, that it's designed to easily move that way. Pretty cool.

Seems like a design flaw to me. Why not just put the nicks on opposite sides like Case or... leave the main a little higher? On my barlow, the tip is plenty low, they could have easily left the kick taller without exposing the tip. 🤷‍♂️

I bought a dozen different Rough Rider patterns in a set about 7 years ago. One of them was a Barlow, and I've never had any problem opening either blade. Here's the only photo I have of the Barlow with both blades closed, and the angle of the shot probably makes the nick of the main blade appear more hidden behind the secondary blade than it really is, but it certainly seems more accessible than the main blade nick on nickvnlr nickvnlr 's Barlow in post # 5441 above.
barlow.amber.closed.jpg

- GT

A new related came in today.
Warrantee replacement Marbles MR409 Hawkbill "G.I. Knife"
The first one I bought maybe 8 or 9 years ago, pre-Marbles branding, suffered a broken backspring.
The owner of the Marbles and RR brands sent me a new one, no questions asked.
Say what you will, they stand behind the lifetime warranty; even on a under $7 knife.
View attachment 1612437
100% 440A, No blade wiggle or rub, useably sharp out of the box, same "strong enough to tow a Jeep" bail as found on the Demo knife.

daRn ....
Bail wire popped off the rivet on the pile side. :( Rough Ryder RR533 Jigged Amber Bone scout/camp knife.
I wonder if a drop of epoxy will fix it, or if I need to get a soldering gun to fix it.
I don't wanna file for another warranty replacement with SMKW. (to date both were for a Marbles, not Rough Ryder)

I actually use the bail, usually with a 32 inch chain lanyard, every time I carry a scout/camp knife. Old habit from my scouting and working days. If dropped, I don't lose it, (and if working on a ladder or scaffold, it can't hit the ground or someone under me) if I set it down, I can't forget it.
I don't want to take a chance on carrying it and have the mark side fail and lose the knife.

On the "plus side", I have six other scout/camp knives to choose from, including two Demo knives. :) I've carried a 4 blade scout/camp/demo knife pretty much every day snce 1960 or 1961. I dont feel ... prepared?... complete?.... without one. They just come in so daRn handy.View attachment 1617115

daRn ....
Bail wire popped off the rivet on the pile side. :( Rough Ryder RR533 Jigged Amber Bone scout/camp knife.
I wonder if a drop of epoxy will fix it, or if I need to get a soldering gun to fix it.
I don't wanna file for another warranty replacement with SMKW. (to date both were for a Marbles, not Rough Ryder)

I actually use the bail, usually with a 32 inch chain lanyard, every time I carry a scout/camp knife. Old habit from my scouting and working days. If dropped, I don't lose it, (and if working on a ladder or scaffold, it can't hit the ground or someone under me) if I set it down, I can't forget it.
I don't want to take a chance on carrying it and have the mark side fail and lose the knife.

On the "plus side", I have six other scout/camp knives to choose from, including two Demo knives. :) I've carried a 4 blade scout/camp/demo knife pretty much every day snce 1960 or 1961. I dont feel ... prepared?... complete?.... without one. They just come in so daRn handy.View attachment 1617115
Maybe lightly peen it using a small punch?

Back