Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Greetings all,

I saw these two new Rough Rider patterns and had to pick them up to check out. Fit and finish on them is pretty good, but the edges were rougher and thicker than most of the Rough Riders that I have bought in the past. No wobble and nice strong springs.

Case Peanut, RR Baby Barlow, RR Gunstock, Case 6292

I had been wanting something just a little bigger than a Peanut for a while now. Only one blade, so it is nice and flat still.

This Gunstock has quite a different blade than the jigged red bone RR Gunstock that I had previously owned. The new style blade is deeper with a blunter point and more belly.

Also found out that a Leatherman Micra slip case fits Peanuts and similar sized knives just fine. It isn't as nice as a proper leather case, but it is a very workable cheap solution. The case for the Squirt will fit somewhat larger knives. I tried it with my Queen Liner Lock Folding Hunter and it fit perfectly.

Overall I am quite please with them for the money. I had had problems with my CV Cases rusting lately due to all the humidity here, so I am going to rotate these two in some when working outside.

Regards,
Danny

I´ve just ordered a Camp Scout (and that´s almost a sin for someone who loves SAKs and lives in Europe) and a Mini Canoe, both for less than 25 bucks, shipping to Spain included......
I´ve finally got them, and I´m really impressed: fit and finish is excelent, and there´s no bladeplay at all. Jigged bone is beautiful, and all the edges are sharp enough to cut paper, even the ones in blades that aren´t supossed to cut, like can opener and leather punch.
Probably these Rough Riders aren´t the only ones I´m going to buy.
Regards from Spain.

Hi,

They really are a surprise aren't they. And they are cheap enough to get addicting.:D Post a picture of them please. I'd really like to see the mini-canoe.

dalee

It seems that I´m not allowed to post pictures (I´m not having problems uploadind in any of the other forums I´m member, so I suppose it´s a allowance issue).
Anyway, you can see pictures of RR058 in a lot of online stores.
Regards.

It seems that I´m not allowed to post pictures (I´m not having problems uploadind in any of the other forums I´m member, so I suppose it´s a allowance issue).
Anyway, you can see pictures of RR058 in a lot of online stores.
Regards.

You can post pictures by using a free website like www.photobucket.com to "host" your images.

Then you just copy the "IMG code" into your post. It sounds complicated but it's not.

You can post pictures by using a free website like www.photobucket.com to "host" your images.

Then you just copy the "IMG code" into your post. It sounds complicated but it's not.
Here is a great write up on using photbucket. It is in the Buck forum, but I guess you could put a Rough Rider instead of a Buck, maybe???:)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381371

I used this thread to open a photobucket account, it was very helpful.

IMG_0545_2-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
In fact I was doing it much more difficult, 'cause I was copying the direct link inside the image, instead of pasting the URL directly. Thanks for the hint.
Anyway, here are the pics:

Hope you like the pics. I like the butterbean.
Regards.

I have just ordered a white bone rough rider peanut for watch pocket carry,I hope it is a s nice as the knives I have seen here.I paid $10.30 shipped so I can't complain as long as it is functional.I let everyone know how it turns out later in the week.

I've picked at RR in the flea markets, but I can't find the right pattern becuase the knife vendors are hounding me to go look at the over priced case knives. Maybe ill try to pick one up online somewhere

I have bought from both of those before. Great service from both. I bought a couple recently from (ebay link removed) also. A little slower shipping, but free shipping, so not a bad deal.

EDITED BY BLUES:

'Geek: I know it was an oversight but we don't link to vendors or their ebay auctions here. Thanks.
(You can find rules regarding ebay at the top of the page in the "guidelines".)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to whittler and generally buy D2 or 1095 blades. RR has every whittler model I can think of. I am tempted to try one but I am wondering how the 440 holds up. Does it take a good edge? Does it hold the edge?

Hi,

As compared to your D2 and 1095 blades? In a word, no. I've got a small half whittler that I've been carrying off and on. It's a good EDC user, cuts fruit well and opens envelopes and boxes well, but as a serious whittler, stay with your Queens and Bokers.

Wow, every time I see this thread, I start wanting to get a couple more RR's!

dalee

Sorry about that. That's what I get for posting at work and only halfway thinking about what I am doing. Won't happen again.

I have been going small this week with my faux-tortoise RR Peanut. It has broken down server boxes, cut pepperoni slices, you name it. The only thing that I just can't get the hang of with it is pealing apples; just too small to be comfortable the way I am used to doing them.

Got 5 slippies in yesterday, these being 2 of them, twin US Classic Moose.

--------------------------------------------
bone.jpg

blades.jpg

springs.jpg

Came in a rather plain rough cartboard box, hinges open, but the knife is nicely packed in thin waxed paper. 4-1/4″ long, 11/16″ wide, and a great feeling 9/16 thick. Solid feel, heavy in the hand. A wide long wide frame much like The Remington Moose I have. Much thicker and heavier that my Case Moose. Well define match strike pull on the spey blade, and a nice match strike long pull on the clip. Thick blades and springs, and has a center liner.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

withrem1.jpg

withrem2.jpg

Bone is thick and well fit, no gaps at bolster to bone, or bone to liners. Tang stamped US CLASSIC over Salt River, KY on the main(clip) blade front, and 440 over Razor Edge, over 07 on the back of the second blade(spey). U.s. CASSIC etch on the back of the main blade. Straight even edges that came sharp! Half stops on both blades, the spey a nice 4.5 to 5 on the pull scale like Case, the clip blade a 7, stronger than even the famed GEC springs, but thanks to that long pull, rather nice to open.

etch.jpg

While I am not a fan of the burnt grooved stag look, this bone has a nice faded brown to tan around the edges, and the groove is only about 1/16″ deep, making it not too rough to hold, and not a bad look. Dual lines at the bolsters is a nice touch, narrow and understated but elegant none the less. Bomb shield is well inlet, and the pointing hound stamped into it is different, but nice. All the handle pins have well rounded heads. One knife has a hair line crack in the bone at the center spring pin, the other does not.

twins1.jpg

twins2.jpg

All in all, the build and fit is a step above Rough Rider, and extremely closely rivals Case in all fit, while favoring my preference is thicker and heavier than the Case. At around $25 each, double the average Rough Rider of this size, yet still under (about 1/2 of)Case retail, a marvelous value.

G.

Nope, not on the box, The box says "Designed in Salt River Kentucky 2005"

I couldn't find it before, but now that I look again, it does say it on the knife, on the blade etch, each side of the U.S. CLASSIC is a little circle with the pointing hound(like the shield) in it, and text around it... The one to the right has "US Classic" on top and "knives" at the bottom. The left one says "US Classic" at the top and "China" at the bottom. That text is about 3/64" tall... the circles are only about 5/32" dia...

I wonder if these are a US company contracted to a China factory, like it sounds being marked Salt River KY, or if its all a China company..

G.

where did you get them? did some searches and was not able to find a store selling them

Back