Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

No problem, my friend. I knew it was a momentary lapse. :cool:

Oops.

Sorry Blues, what was left before was not what I had intended to leave..
G.

Last edited:
Yes, was just coming back to fix that Blues. While Moderating something elsewhere I realized what I had said here... while trying not to post a political point, I made an inapropriate statement otherwise.

My Apologies.

Thanks Gary, I appreciate that. (I removed my previous post as a result.) :cool: :thumbup:

...a post a while back where someone posted pictures of reworked Rough Rider? I think the person put green micarta scales on it and fluted the bosters. I can't seem to find the thread.

Hey I have found that any bone that is dye a bright or intense color will bleed. Does anybody know of a knife that has a bright blue or green or red that does not bleed the color like the RR.

If you put a RR knife in a glass of water in 1 min it looks like Kool-Aid.

What knives wont do this and WHY?

Hey I have found that any bone that is dye a bright or intense color will bleed. Does anybody know of a knife that has a bright blue or green or red that does not bleed the color like the RR.

Case is pretty colorfast, at least their reds and blues.

This bothers me if I were using one for food prep:eek: If water does this,imagine what fruit acids might do....

I've noticed this on a red boned RR and to a lesser extent on green coloured bone,although this stabilized after a couple of washes using detergent liquid. Not seen any bone bleed on any of my CASE knives though:thumbup:

The only knife I've ever had something like this happen with is a Chinese Marbles with dark red bone handles, which is one of very few Chinese knives that I own.

"WHY?" Because the Chinese knives are made cheap, with cheap materials, including cheap dyes. Cheap dyes run. Cheap manufacturing means scrimping and saving at every step of the operation. There's a reason these guys can produce a knife that sells for $5 (other than government subsidized dumping of products to take over a market, of course).

I've never had the scales on a quality knife (Case, Queen, Boker, Bulldog, Eye Brand, Laguiole de l'Artisan, etc) lose any pigment whatsoever.

These Chinese knives may provide an opportunity to experience something that's like a real knife, but one should never make the mistake of thinking they're getting something for nothing with them; It's still a $5 knife. It is not going to be in the same ballpark of quality as a $50 knife.

You can buy tools at your local "dollar store", but you cannot expect them to be of the quality you'd get from NAPA or Snap-On. Or rather, if you do have that expectation you will be disappointed.

-- Sam

I've never had the scales on a quality knife (Case, Queen, Boker, Bulldog, Eye Brand, Laguiole de l'Artisan, etc) lose any pigment whatsoever.

FWIW, I've had dye from very high end custom slipjoint makers leave stains on the fabric the knives are laid upon. It happens. Not as a regular occurrence but it does happen.

Fellas, let's keep to the knives and stay out of the political end of the debate so that the thread remains open in this forum instead of being moved to the "political" or "feedback" forums.

I've had Case knives bleed out as well, though certainly not as much as some imports. All of my knives usually get a good washing in soap & warm water when I get them, and any that seep pigment get and extra soaking or two. Afterward, they get a soaking in butcher block oil (mineral oil) and are set out in the sun to dry. After that, they usually don't "bleed" any more.

thx - cpr

Hi,

I've not had any bleed out of color on any of my RR's---yet. I have a mini-trapper in green, (as seen waaayyy back in the original post:)), that has seen a considerable amount of time in my pocket. It still looks as good as new.

Wonder how it will look next year at this time.

dalee

I find that if I use a petrolum distilate oil to oil the joints, and the oil gets on the bone, it will pull out the dye.
This happens on most brands.

Well curiosity got the best of me this week. I was on the web the other night looking at new knives and an abalone handled congress caught my eye. I hate to be a knife snob, but I avoid all traditionals that are not made in Switzerland, Germany and the good ol' USA. Well, I had to see what these were all about. I bought one on the bay for less than $20 shipped. Not a bad knife, but most definitely not the fit and finish I'd like. In any event it wasn't alot of money, but the buyers remorse has set in. Wish I'd spent that $20 on another Vic Soldier:(:( Who knows this old knife may make the giveaway circuit I'm not sure. A good friend of mine has a son that just got into knife collecting, probably not a bad knife for a little 9 year old. In any event I thought I'd share. Any fans of these new Chinese Remingtons?

Hi,

I don't think you're necessarily being a knife snob. Different needs and wants you know. But there is going to be some variance in the QC at this price point. Still as you noticed, for the money, they aren't bad even if you get one that is less than stellar.

I think you are right when you say they make a good first knife or an EDC knife for the average user who isn't a collector or knut. I like them particularly because the RR's have allowed me to try new patterns for very little money. And because of that, Case has sold me two baby butterbeans and a regular canoe. And as much as I like my Vic Soldier, a RR mini-trapper is now getting as much pocket time. And that one too, will sell me a Case model.

I've not tried the Remingtons. But I've only seen the fixed blades and I don't have a lot of interest in fixed blades. But I think they don't look too bad for the money.

dalee

Back