Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Also got a dogleg three blade jackb but sadly it has a fair share of problems.

The main has nearly no pull, rides too high when closed (the tip is nearly exposed) closes into the liner edge first and has a good amount of blade play on each axis. The backlock is painful to unlock with its combination of sharp edges and stiff spring and the sheepsfoot rubs on the back of the main blade and is a total nail breaker as is the smallest blade.

Sadly I seem to have gotten the worst one in this thread. :(

I can post photos if anyone is interested.

At least I'm not out much.

Also got a dogleg three blade jackb but sadly it has a fair share of problems.

The main has nearly no pull, rides too high when closed (the tip is nearly exposed) closes into the liner edge first and has a good amount of blade play on each axis. The backlock is painful to unlock with its combination of sharp edges and stiff spring and the sheepsfoot rubs on the back of the main blade and is a total nail breaker as is the smallest blade.

Sadly I seem to have gotten the worst one in this thread. :(

I can post photos if anyone is interested.

At least I'm not out much.

Sorry to hear about that. You might want to contact the seller and see what they say. I had one out of few that I have bought that had a lot of problems. Describing them over the phone, looking over my whole order (4 other gift knives from other manufacturers as well), and certainly considering the cost of the knife, the vendor I purchased from replaced it.

Those also make good knives to toss in the tool box or glove compartment for me.

Robert

Just got this little guy( 5 blade peanut) a few days ago, and for a $11 I was really surprised. Sharp out of the box, all 5 blades nicely centered and great f&f.

How long is that peanut, Jon? That's quite a fistful of blade variety!

-GT

Neko2,

Sorry you got a so so one. I'm considering that pattern also.
Here are a few pics of other RR's and a Carbon Steel Colt Trapper that I'm really liking.

After hearing about the problems with my knife, the dealer is sending another.
I'll keep you all posted on how that one shows up. Hopefully I just got the rare dud and the next one is Jim dandy.

To you who have gotten the dogleg w/ clip sheath, how is the quality of the sheath? I'm thinking of getting that one mainly for the sheath.

To you who have gotten the dogleg w/ clip sheath, how is the quality of the sheath? I'm thinking of getting that one mainly for the sheath.

It'll do the job. The clip is riveted which is nice, I've seen them glued in place in cheap sheaths. The leather looks to be hand cut (kinda crooked and jagged) and mine is creased from the knife sitting on it in storage. There's also a mis-stitch in the stitching.

So it's better than nothing.

It'll do the job. The clip is riveted which is nice, I've seen them glued in place in cheap sheaths. The leather looks to be hand cut (kinda crooked and jagged) and mine is creased from the knife sitting on it in storage. There's also a mis-stitch in the stitching.

So it's better than nothing.

I'll echo that.
It's not bad at all. The clip is pretty strong. I've carried it all day securely.
It's not some custom leather work but it does suffice.
Actually makes for an overall neat little package.

I'll echo that.
It's not bad at all. The clip is pretty strong. I've carried it all day securely.
It's not some custom leather work but it does suffice.
Actually makes for an overall neat little package.

I think that is a good assessment. I would rate it "better than average". Keeping in mind that a nice knife slip case from a sheathmaker would probably be more than 8 or 9 of these knife/sheath combos all put together, I like it!

Robert

Ok so my other knives arrived today and I have to day l say that the Rough Rider half hawk is a beast!

Is it perfect? Nah. But it's darn near ands for the price it's amazing. The pull on their blades is about to rip my thumbnail off but I think some oil and time should tame that. And while I knew it was big I had no idea how big. It's like a monster truck Barlow!

I also got my Colt but I need to hear back from the seller before I decide how to proceed (blade rub on 3 blades, filthy & looks used). I can clean it up once I know for sure since it looks to be a good user.

So I'm mostly 1/3 for my Chinese traditional purchases. Hopefully I'm getting the bad ones or of everyone's way :D

For the price they're not bad and I doubt I could get a used Case in similar condition for anywhere near what I paid for these so all in all it's OK. Probably should check the next one out in person though.

DSCN2703_zps500b2a9f.jpg

How long is that peanut, Jon? That's quite a fistful of blade variety!

-GT

2 6/8" closed
4 6/8" at its longest open
9/16" wide

Last edited:

I have an extra sheath if you'd like to try one out.
Just shoot me an email :)

Well, I haven't seen any traffic here on this thread, so I thought I would post some pics of a RR I got a while back. My luck is still running strong with these knives and I continue to get really nice pieces of cutlery from them. About the only traditional pattern I don't have and haven't used was a full sized congress. So what knife would be better to try this pattern out than an RR?

On to the pics:

An in hand shot. I have XL sized paws, and this knife fills them up. The checkering arrived razor sharp and perfect. Too sharp; I carefully sanded the edges of the scales where they were attached to the liners as well as the actual checkering to knock off the points. I was was worried that the little rifle emblem would ride high or stick up and get knocked off, but not so. It is mortised into the scales deeply and there is no chance of the shield getting knocked out.

Here it is open, two pen/spear blades and two sheepfoot blades. All the blades came pretty sharp, but are now very sharp with just a bit of effort. The blades are surprising thin (reminiscent of the old CASE grinds) and this makes all of them really wicked slicers. This surprised me as on a knife that is a little over 4" long with flat ground blades I was expecting something more obtuse.

How could you not like that blade! Its a big sheepfoot, ready to work. And you can really bring some pressure to bear with the reverse swayback design!

This is a full knife case. Take a look at the crinking. No matter the camera distortion, the blades don't rub anywhere! I have noticed some small scuffs on the blades that are opposite the most used blades that have come from me opening and closing the knife.

I was really knocked over by this knife. Along the back spine between liners, springs and bolsters, there are NO gaps. Pulls run around a 6, with one blade being a bit tighter. All snap tightly with authority. Due to their cutting ability, I would give the blade designs, shapes, thickness and grinds a giant thumbs up. Seems a lot of thought went into the design and execution this knife, and it has booted my favorite Boker stockman out of the pocket for the time being. Thinking as I am typing, I am remembering all the posts I have read where simple two bladed knives have bad rubbing problems.

It is discontinued, but found on the 'bay for about $14 shipped. And it even comes in its own special tin box.

Got another smaller congress pattern coming and I will be interested to see how the two stack up. This particular knife I am really pleased with, so it will be fun to test out the other one when I get it to match the two up.

Robert

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the liner locks? Not the trapper lock but like the single blade Old Timers with no thumb stud. I saw in several places where the trapper locks were failing (blade would open past the lock).

Today I got this Colt Peanut with Buckshot Bone covers

colt_peanut_open by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

colt_peanut_inhand by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

colt_peanut_closed by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Really nice overall presentation and excellent snap opening and closing with half stops. The nail nick for the main blade is completely obscured by the little blade which was a weird design oversight I think. The main blade hits the little hump in the back spring where the pin passes through but just barely - puts a tiny dent in the edge. And a goober on the covers apparently prevented dying so I have that little bald spot you see in the pics. I've got a couple US slipjoints on the way to see how they compare - a Bear & Son and a Utica Kutmaster.

Back