Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Liked it so well I got me a few more. The white bone one is maybe from an older line (?) but the F&F isn't quite as good as the others. The edge on all 3 blades isn't even on both sides, a few more obvious gaps, one of my covers has a crack at the spring pin, that sort of thing. Still, all are pretty sharp and nice overall. I am glad I got the liner lock too. It's my favorite for sure and works as it should, and the red bone on the little 2 blade stockman is so rich I can't even describe it.

roughrider_group1 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

roughrider_sowbelly_crack by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Every RR sowbelly I have with bone scales, has a stress crack at the spring pin.

Every RR sowbelly I have with bone scales, has a stress crack at the spring pin.

Regardless of who made the knife, that seems to be a problem with any really curved pattern with bone scales. I am thinking it is probably because they put the bone in the cutter/former with the grain running parallel to the knife handle. So when it gets to the curve, there is "short grain" there that splinters easily when machined or drilled.

Think about the grain of the bone being the same as a piece of wood. If you cut a curve in a thin piece of wood, you would stay away from drilling into the short grain so you wouldn't split it. In this case, it's bone, and it too has its own direction of grain. So when it is drilled, the pin installed and finished, if the short end grain on the side of the pen moves just a bit when the spring pin flexes, it cracks. I have seen old CASE knives that have that, and some of them have been quite old and well used.

If it were me, I would put a drop of water thin CA glue on it and polish off what didn't soak in and let it go.

BTW, the that deep red mahogany on the 2 bladed stockman is phenomenal. Just gorgeous.

Robert

City, that Red Bone 2 blade is on my wanted list for sure. Do you know the pattern No.?

Thanks, Will

City, that Red Bone 2 blade is on my wanted list for sure. Do you know the pattern No.?

Thanks, Will

Seller listed it as RR423. Two Blade Stockman.

I was surprised at how good the color is and I hope you guys get the same. I'm just not a red bone kind of guy, but this red bone, yes please. It is deep and RED, not pink or orange, red.

Better pic for color.

roughrider_groupinhand by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Thank you City for the info.

That 2 blade is really my cup of tea! Fine colour too.

Thanks, Will

I really like this knife, it's a hand and a half of filling cutting machine. ;)
eRSs4tw.jpg

RR738 Reverse Gun Stock

rr_reversegunstock_blades by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

Well, another pattern from them I am not familiar with. But I am a sucker for anything that even looks like a stockman. But I have to know cityofthesouth, how comfortable is that knife in the hand when using it? Can you really grip it, or do you have to grasp it lightly due to its case shape? I would really be interested to know how it feels in hand when using the large clip blade, if you have a few minutes to respond...

Thanks-

Robert

Well, another pattern from them I am not familiar with. But I am a sucker for anything that even looks like a stockman. But I have to know cityofthesouth, how comfortable is that knife in the hand when using it? Can you really grip it, or do you have to grasp it lightly due to its case shape? I would really be interested to know how it feels in hand when using the large clip blade, if you have a few minutes to respond...

Thanks-

Robert

I dunno. I'd have to do some whittling with it to really say, but there are some immediate impressions you get from holding it. I'd say, of all slipjoints, this one isn't real comfortable. I think it has more to do with the hard lines of the coping blade sticking out so much while closed, than anything else. The handle shape itself seems fine to me. It's 3-1/2 inches so I'd say it's very similar to your average stockman where you deal with a fist full of blades anyway. It feels right in a side grip - probably the most common way I use a small knife. FWIW this one has half stops. Not sure why some do and some don't.

I dunno. I'd have to do some whittling with it to really say, but there are some immediate impressions you get from holding it. I'd say, of all slipjoints, this one isn't real comfortable. I think it has more to do with the hard lines of the coping blade sticking out so much while closed, than anything else. The handle shape itself seems fine to me. It's 3-1/2 inches so I'd say it's very similar to your average stockman where you deal with a fist full of blades anyway. It feels right in a side grip - probably the most common way I use a small knife. FWIW this one has half stops. Not sure why some do and some don't.

You know, as pretty as that knife is, it looks blocky. I have had to get rid of more than one knife that wasn't what I thought it would be when I used it, but was an attractive looking piece of cutlery.

Since I carry two knives most of the time, I like smooth lines as the front right pocket gets pretty full. Thanks for the update!

Robert

You know, as pretty as that knife is, it looks blocky. I have had to get rid of more than one knife that wasn't what I thought it would be when I used it, but was an attractive looking piece of cutlery.

Since I carry two knives most of the time, I like smooth lines as the front right pocket gets pretty full. Thanks for the update!

Robert

No problem. If it helps any - more pics. I may not be interpreting what you mean by blocky correctly, but I'd say it's pretty much like any other RR. They round the bolsters nicely, but the rounding doesn't fade too far back into the covers. It's nothing like the square Buck 110s or the Bear & Son I got recently which had square corners all around. For me the hot spots come from the closed blades.

rr_reversegunstock_closed by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

rr_reversegunstock_inhand by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

At less than the price of a pint, i couldn't say no to this little locker! really tight, good fit and finish and sharp!

Should make a nice little small game knife, it'll be easy to clean for sure.

I just barely got a mini barlow, i fell in love with it but im not sure if the shotty qc is an isolated incident with these minis or i just got the one made monday morning
The blade has some side to side play but not much and one side seems to be a bit off (higher than the other side) but other than that i actually love this little knife, i ordered it on a whim as well as an expected jigged bone toothpick but im having a feeling i wont like it as much. Well cant expect much for $10 .Now to just dye the scales dark green or black

Is there a list of pattern numbers of the RR knives.
Dave

Maybe there is but I think it's kinda difficult to get good information for their products. The knives themselves are very easy to get, so it doesn't seem to me that the demand is so high they don't have time to make a proper website. I e-mailed someone at SMKW to ask if there was some way to see what's coming up in the future and things like that - no one ever replied. SMKW's website sucks too so ... there's that.

Is there a list of pattern numbers of the RR knives.
Dave

Dave, I've found a site that lists the pattern numbers, although I don't know how up-to-date it is. But I don't think I'm allowed to post the link. I'll send you an email.

- GT

Picked up a Marbles splitback tortoiseshell celluloid three blade whittler for twenty bucks.
I know this has been hashed out here on the forum before but what do you guys think about Chinese made knives?

This splitback whittler is very well made. F&F is pretty dang good.
yes, I have many American made knives, German too along with a few English made.

Thanks for your reply

Buzz

Had no idea there was so much posting of these off shore knives, thanks for moving this over so I could check this out

Buzz

Back