Rough Ryder Classic Carbon

T10 carbon steel - pretty decent
Barely more cost than the regular 440 versions - awesome
Who has some of these? Are they as good as they look on paper??? :eek:

I have a carbon sowbelly stockman. Main has a heavier pull than comparable Case sowbelly stockman. It's not a nailbreaker though. The bigger issue is it has a half stop. A sowbelly shouldn't have a half stop traditionally.

I hope this thread flourishes. The carbon RR's are something of interest to me, but not too much information seems available.

I hope this thread flourishes. The carbon RR's are something of interest to me, but not too much information seems available.
I searched the "Rough Rider and Related Slipjoints" thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rough-rider-related-slipjoints.582468/
for "carbon", and came up with about 11 pages of hits. On the first two pages (that's all I checked), almost all the linked posts were relevant to RR's "Classic Carbon" series.

So there are lots of posts, but it might be that there's still not much info there. :rolleyes:

- GT

I have the Sowbelly Stockman.
Finish and f&f are virtually flawless. Main blade is maybe a 9/10 to pull, so not quite a nail breaker.
I've only had it for a few days, so unable to pass judgement on durability or edge holding as yet. I love the positive half stops as well.

PBicwPj.jpg

NGwowWh.jpg

gukxz18.jpg

I think of carbon trads as a niche within a niche. Interesting that RR thinks it's a market segment worth gunning for.

I don't, but maybe that's just because I'm so partial to the stuff.
Most manufacturers of traditionals offer it , so I think SMKW is just trying to more to compete with case because they know there are just some people who'd choose the much more expensive XX model just to get it.

It's certainly a rarity in the modern folder world ( one reason I left 'em behind )

I don't, but maybe that's just because I'm so partial to the stuff.
Most manufacturers of traditionals offer it , so I think SMKW is just trying to more to compete with case because they know there are just some people who'd choose the much more expensive XX model just to get it.

You're probably right. I came back to traditionals because of the reasonable prices. Then I remembered how dang useful it is to have more than one blade on a knife and fell in love again. Give me a choice between a good stainless and a good carbon, and I'm happy either way. Given that the typical manufacturer of traditionals gives me a choice between crappy stainless and not as crappy carbon, I'll take the carbon. If the RR carbon Sowbelly didn't have half stops, I'd already own one. I wonder how hard it would be to take apart, file the tangs, and reassemble? Might make a fun winter project. Seems like a strong pull would be an advantage if I do that.

You're probably right. I came back to traditionals because of the reasonable prices. Then I remembered how dang useful it is to have more than one blade on a knife and fell in love again. Give me a choice between a good stainless and a good carbon, and I'm happy either way. Given that the typical manufacturer of traditionals gives me a choice between crappy stainless and not as crappy carbon, I'll take the carbon. If the RR carbon Sowbelly didn't have half stops, I'd already own one. I wonder how hard it would be to take apart, file the tangs, and reassemble? Might make a fun winter project. Seems like a strong pull would be an advantage if I do that.

Out of interest, why don't you like the half stops?

Out of interest, why don't you like the half stops?

I find that half stops make the knife less safe for me if the springs are strong. Wet slippery hands, half stops, and strong springs are trouble because the blade tries to jump into the half stop position and it's easy to lose your grip. With dry hands, it's merely annoying because it makes the knife harder to open and close safely. Weak springs and half stops don't bother me. Strong springs without half stops are fine, too. Because I started carrying a slipjoint when I was 5 or 6 years old, my knife using habits are pretty well ingrained and I have no issues with accidental closure even when using knives with very weak springs. Things that get you bloody as a child tend to be learned really well. In my mind, any safety gained by having a half stop will be paid back with interest when a failure does occur because the forces are higher and that gator snap makes any recovery less likely. And failure is more likely because strong springs allow one to cheat, and then cheating becomes a habit, and then one cheats a bit more, and then one day ... boom. Blood on the floor.

Back