Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Can you please PM me wich store that is exactly? I just can't figure it out...
Apologies. Just saw this - the blue roof is always the first thing that comes to mind to me for some reason. BTW - have y’all seen this? Makes me sad that the micarta maybe suspect.
bWPbDsum.jpg

Apologies. Just saw this - the blue roof is always the first thing that comes to mind to me for some reason. BTW - have y’all seen this? Makes me sad that the micarta maybe suspect.
bWPbDsum.jpg
I like that these next offerings seem to be more, I guess, traditional. I have the second work knife, the denim “Micarta,” and I have to say I haven’t seen any of the issues others are experiencing, so the covers are less concerning to me than the overall bulk or girth of these knives. Hopefully they’ve been put on a diet!

Curious about the market for these RRR.

• Case - has the history and is made in USA. I get the collector and enthusiast angle. They are easily accessible.
  • GEC - has the old school manufacturing and materials. Their scarcity makes them now almost exclusively the domain of hardcore collectors.
  • Boker and Lionsteel - merges traditional, modern, and super steels.
  • RRR - MiC copies of Case or GEC made from D2 (not a traditional steel or a super steel).

Not knocking them, just trying to gauge who they are marketing too.

• Case - has the history and is made in USA. I get the collector and enthusiast angle. They are easily accessible.
  • GEC - has the old school manufacturing and materials. Their scarcity makes them now almost exclusively the domain of hardcore collectors.
  • Boker and Lionsteel - merges traditional, modern, and super steels.
  • RRR - MiC copies of Case or GEC made from D2 (not a traditional steel or a super steel).

Not knocking them, just trying to gauge who they are marketing too.
I’m with you, I have absolutely nothing against RR, I have a lot of them, use some of them, but mostly they are “eye candy” and a cheap way to “cover collect” a pattern I like. Just don’t understand the new RRR line. I’m definitely not an expert on marketing, but when a brand is “high end” and then puts out a more “budget” line, that makes sense to me as a way to get people to try the brand and then maybe move up to the more expensive offerings because they have “quality cred”. RR has always been known as an inexpensive, if not cheap knife, with questionable quality, some have downright great quality and others are nearly falling apart. I have examples of both, however most are very good “for the price”, and I keep buying them for that reason. So here we have an inexpensive/cheap brand and not a lot of “quality cred” trying to go “high end.” And, now we are hearing questions being raised about their materials. I’m rooting for them, and the last two, unlike the first four, have me looking, just not sure about buying yet. Even if these offerings are slimed down, more traditional, and better quality, it’s hard, for me, to pay $35-$45 more for an extra “R”.
Anyone else having a hard time getting over the “cheap” brand stigma on these knives?

I’m with you, I have absolutely nothing against RR, I have a lot of them, use some of them, but mostly they are “eye candy” and a cheap way to “cover collect” a pattern I like. Just don’t understand the new RRR line. I’m definitely not an expert on marketing, but when a brand is “high end” and then puts out a more “budget” line, that makes sense to me as a way to get people to try the brand and then maybe move up to the more expensive offerings because they have “quality cred”. RR has always been known as an inexpensive, if not cheap knife, with questionable quality, some have downright great quality and others are nearly falling apart. I have examples of both, however most are very good “for the price”, and I keep buying them for that reason. So here we have an inexpensive/cheap brand and not a lot of “quality cred” trying to go “high end.” And, now we are hearing questions being raised about their materials. I’m rooting for them, and the last two, unlike the first four, have me looking, just not sure about buying yet. Even if these offerings are slimed down, more traditional, and better quality, it’s hard, for me, to pay $35-$45 more for an extra “R”.
Anyone else having a hard time getting over the “cheap” brand stigma on these knives?
I've had good luck with the regular RR's that I've owned and still own. I think the quality was pretty good in the first place and the high end attempt seems to defeat the purpose of the RR brand. I like them because they are cheap and pretty good knives.

I will admit though that if these new higher end models had stainless steel liners instead of brass, I would already own a Kayak. I don't have anything against brass. I just think stainless liners "belong" on these knives. It's the one thing besides this recent discovery of poor micarta that keeps me from seeing these as worth the cost. If they had steel liners I'd take my chances and try one.

RRR - MiC copies of Case or GEC made from D2 (not a traditional steel or a super steel).

They don't seem to copy any of those. They're in fact some kind of novelty touch on traditional patterns (pretty dubious, if you ask me).

I’m the first to say I know nothing about business plans and marketing, but my impression is that they’re trying to capitalize on the GEC hype. The arrow head shield, the tube, etc. I don’t think the more discriminating buyer is the target audience. But I’m also probably wrong and will be the first to admit as much.

They don't seem to copy any of those. They're in fact some kind of novelty touch on traditional patterns (pretty dubious, if you ask me).
I think it's called the 'work knife' is a blatant copy of the GEC Viper.

I'm suspicious of any of their claimed materials. It's impossible to get a VG-10 blade for $12. I flat out don't believe it. They have claimed their 440a is 440C, Micarta is not Micarta, rams horn is some kind of bone made to look like it, the list goes on...

Last edited:
I think it's called the 'work knife' is a blatant copy of the GEC Viper.

I'm suspicious of any of their claimed materials. It's impossible to get a VG-10 blade for $12. I flat out don't believe it. They have claimed their 440a is 440C, Micarta is not Micarta, rams horn is some kind of bone made to look like it, the list goes on...
You make some very good points, Mark but I believe the blade steel is D2.

I've had good luck with the regular RR's that I've owned and still own. I think the quality was pretty good in the first place and the high end attempt seems to defeat the purpose of the RR brand. I like them because they are cheap and pretty good knives.
My reaction to the RRR products is similar to Rick's. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rough Ryder's appeal to me has always been pretty good traditional knives, usually in standard patterns, for low cost (although RR knives have probably almost doubled in price in the 7 years I've been aware of them).

The novel patterns and higher price points of RRR has almost no appeal to me. :thumbsdown:
(Although, being a canoe fan, if I saw a used Kayak at a pawn shop for $10-$15, I'd probably pick it up. :rolleyes:)

- GT

You make some very good points, Mark but I believe the blade steel is D2.
Thanks Rick. Sorry for the confusion. I believe you're right that they claim the steel on the RRR's as D-2 although I'm suspicious based on their track record of misrepresenting materials.
I was referring to the knife in post #5091 of this thread- Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints | Page 255 | BladeForums.com when I mentioned the VG-10 blade for $12.:thumbsup:
The RRR line is considerably more expensive and I think of that as just another negative to the series.

Thanks Rick. Sorry for the confusion. I believe you're right that they claim the steel on the RRR's as D-2 although I'm suspicious based on their track record of misrepresenting materials.
I was referring to the knife in post #5091 of this thread- Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints | Page 255 | BladeForums.com when I mentioned the VG-10 blade for $12.:thumbsup:
The RRR line is considerably more expensive and I think of that as just another negative to the series.
Thanks for pointing that one out, Mark. I remember seeing it now but I had completely forgotten about that VG-10 model.

Caplifter, sheepsfoot and a clip? I’m guessing it’ll be a three springer. I think they’re getting more “on the money” in terms of general features I’d appreciate.

I do think there are valid concerns regarding misrepresentation... or to give the benefit of the doubt, “over stating” the quality. I think someone who knows knives and reads “micarta” on a 12 dollar knife might have a good idea it’s not real/good micarta. Fifty bucks makes a statement.

I like the blade compliment. Wonder what the dimensions are. Disappointed that some have inferior micarta. I wonder if its mostly resin with little linen/paper or whatever.

Caplifter, sheepsfoot and a clip? I’m guessing it’ll be a three springer. I think they’re getting more “on the money” in terms of general features I’d appreciate.

I do think there are valid concerns regarding misrepresentation... or to give the benefit of the doubt, “over stating” the quality. I think someone who knows knives and reads “micarta” on a 12 dollar knife might have a good idea it’s not real/good micarta. Fifty bucks makes a statement.
my Marbles stockman was exactly $12 and is real micarta afaik.. Damn good knife too.

giJ3B3O.jpg

SaehS1t.jpg

I can't speak to any of the other micarta but if this is fake I can't see how.
HmhSUwU.jpg

There is a crack here, but may be there because I've dropped it.
AMOUblI.jpg

Using a dremel with a rubber abrasive wheel I've been contouring the covers, it definitely fluffed up the threads in certain directions. Also in this pic you can see I let it get to hot and actually scorched the fibers.
gIRl409.jpg

reULr0y.jpg

As you can see I'm rounding it off pretty good, as I removed material I can see a difference in the lines of material. I think if each layer was a different color you could see the change more dramatically. I'm not saying that ALL of their claimed micarta is what they say,but at least for myself I'm convinced the denim micarta on this particular knife is.

If it was micarta it shouldn't crack at all even when dropped. Dropped micarta in my knives winds up scratched or a tiny bit deformed.

Back