Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Just happened to look in the Rough Ryder section of SMKW today due to the St. Patrick's Day sale and saw the #5 Hedge Hog and #8 Common Stock available now. The other two are there, but not in stock yet. Not crazy about the price for either, but bought the Hedge Hog because it looks more unique and usable. The other seems to be just a Stockman with a bottle opener.

Imho the stockman missed the mark by .25" if it was 4" or 3.75 itd be awsome! I might get one of each of these anyway to check em out. They are getting better in design i think but still missing the mark in my opinion. Does anyone have a pic of the backsprings on either of these?

I just reluctantly ordered the #5. I almost bit on the #8, but if SMKW continues with the same handle materials and oddball designs, I'll have to pass.
Same here. The #8 looks interesting, but I had bad luck with their black micarta in the past.

The "hedgehog" or whatever almost had me, but it's $60 and the clip blade looks odd. They also call it a "modern take" on a muskrat pattern, which feels like they're just trying to sell it too hard. We've seen 'improved muskrat' patterns plenty of times, and the fact it's a straight equal end doesn't make any waves either. I fail to see what the "take" is, exactly.

I think I'll continue to pass.

The "hedgehog" or whatever almost had me, but it's $60 and the clip blade looks odd. They also call it a "modern take" on a muskrat pattern, which feels like they're just trying to sell it too hard. We've seen 'improved muskrat' patterns plenty of times, and the fact it's a straight equal end doesn't make any waves either. I fail to see what the "take" is, exactly.

I think I'll continue to pass.
I agree that the clip blade looks odd! But I do like the equal end treatment. I'd like to collect the whole series but I don't know... at some point I have to come to my senses.

I'm going to throw my $.02 in because the brand/line intrigues me... Not a fan of the nail nicks, I understand their history, but they look cheap now (or just on these knives I suppose). Also, if these two new ones are anywhere near as thick as the previous multi-blade offerings looked, they could potentially be chunky monkeys. Granted, I am not the focus consumer of this brand (I tend to almost exclusively purchase domestically produced knives at this point in my life), but I was (am still) hoping for the best for those who are RR buyers - something in the $40-50 range that provides an alternative to what is currently on the market seems like it would do very well amongst knife folk - so I hope they get a little slimmer, a little cheaper, and a little nicer for those whose knife budget is more on the frugal side of the market.

Ya got that right:eek: I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for $100.00 in the future - within the next two years.

$40 for the easy open razor was just fine, significant centering problems notwithstanding. $100 is a joke--but it looks like they're creeping on up already. Don't think I'd bet against you!

Curious about the market for these RRR.

• Case - has the history and is made in USA. I get the collector and enthusiast angle. They are easily accessible.
  • GEC - has the old school manufacturing and materials. Their scarcity makes them now almost exclusively the domain of hardcore collectors.
  • Boker and Lionsteel - merges traditional, modern, and super steels.
  • RRR - MiC copies of Case or GEC made from D2 (not a traditional steel or a super steel).

Not knocking them, just trying to gauge who they are marketing too.
Me

Just checked out the Hedgehog and Stockman. They both look nice. The Stockman is on the big side. Really too big and heavy for edc in the pocket. The Hedgehog looks like a nice knife. At $60 its starting to have some competition. Next time I'm in Tennessee maybe I'll make a trip to Sevierville and check them out in person.

Just checked out the Hedgehog and Stockman. They both look nice. The Stockman is on the big side. Really too big and heavy for edc in the pocket. The Hedgehog looks like a nice knife. At $60 its starting to have some competition. Next time I'm in Tennessee maybe I'll make a trip to Sevierville and check them out in person.

it’s the only one right now that I don’t think is a hard pass.

I ordered the hedgehog because I wanted to try one of these, but found most of them off-putting. In a couple of days my curiosity should be satisfied. I preferred the direction that RR seemed to be taking before the introduction of the Reserve line. I picked up a few very nice examples over the last year or so, the 3081 work knife, a couple of versions of the sowbelly stockman, and the upswept trapper. Prices seemed to be creeping up, from under $10.00 to under $20.00.

If left to their own devices, I could see RR prices approaching $50, or rough parity with US and European makes, but doing so organically as a result of market forces and improved quality. I am not sure quite what to make of this quantum price jump coupled with presumably better quality, but also with some odd designs.

I have to think the odd designs are an attempt to differentiate the Reserve line from the rest of the RR's. Maybe to gain notice or to get people to try them because they're different. Quality wise it will depend. I just received two A.G. Russell Barlows made in China. Reading the AGR website and catalogs over the years, its obvious that AG put in a lot of effort and time to insure that the knives he had manufactured in China met his quality standards. The two I received are seconds due to a couple of small cracks in the bone, and I had a coupon, so I only paid $30, but given the quality of the knife I would not have been disappointed if I had paid the regular price of $60. I think they're worth every penny of that.
I'm interested to know what you guys think of them when you receive them.

Back