Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

If it was 1/2 inch smaller, I would have been in for the stockman 008 for sure. I'm still debating the Hedgehog 005. I'll probably pull the trigger on that soon. I like D2 steel much better than 1095. The rat tail bolsters are a nice touch. They're getting closer.

I see one called the nomad folding hunter. I like the look and materials and will definitely be picking one up.

Not going to lie, what I would really like to see is the RR reserve line make the patterns that GEC cannot produce enough of. I would pick up a RRR version of the #47 Viper or #74 Mustang with no hesitation.

I see one called the nomad folding hunter. I like the look and materials and will definitely be picking one up.

Not going to lie, what I would really like to see is the RR reserve line make the patterns that GEC cannot produce enough of. I would pick up a RRR version of the #47 Viper or #74 Mustang with no hesitation.
Do you dislike the regular RR version?
IMG_5518.JPG

Or a eureka jack...

I just ordered one 5 and one 8 along with a red bow trapper. I am not a fan of what RR has been doing with those heavy swedges with the sharp corners (the blue denim T10 canoe and barlow i bought both have it) But we will see what these new RRRs look like. The first round of RRR knives did not have those.

What I do not understand is why Rough Ryder is not taking advantage of the huge demand for certain patterns made in quality by GEC, but which are generally unobtainable. If Rough Ryder made traditionally-styled and RRR quality versions (with D2 or 1095) of the wharncliffe jacks, barlows, whittlers, etc, in the $50 price range, I would buy every damn one. Hopefully they will figure this out and at least give us a few without the weird design choices. However, I do like the Rhino toe.

Last edited:
Right now RRR seems doomed by some desire to make something unique. It’s like that homebrewer we all know who skipped the standard beers and jumped right into the crazy concoctions. I don’t think they’ve demonstrated they really know how to do a traditional knife. The standard RR’s aren’t even the best examples of traditional, as something is usually off in the design. For that price point, however, the Standard RR’s won’t get much criticism from me.

I just ordered one 5 and one 8 along with a red bow trapper. I am not a fan of what RR has been doing with those heavy swedges with the sharp corners (the blue denim T10 canoe and barlow i bought both have it) But we will see what these new RRRs look like. The first round of RRR knives did not have those.

What I do not understand is why Rough Ryder is not taking advantage of the huge demand for certain patterns made in quality by GEC, but which are generally unobtainable. If Rough Ryder made traditionally-styled and RRR quality versions (with D2 or 1095) of the wharncliffe jacks, barlows, whittlers, etc, in the $50 price range, I would buy every damn one. Hopefully they will figure this out and at least give us a few without the weird design choices. However, I do like the Rhino toe.

I bought the first three and I agree. The single blade "One arm" knife is slim and solid with a well ground thin blade great action. The closest thing in "fit n finish" or feel to GEC, that isn't a GEC.
They can do it, that they don't is a shame.

Your not going to get that much in carbon steels, this is too much of a mainstream company.

The majority of average knife users couldn't care less what the steel is, love super SS steels, or are shelf queen collectors... who want shiny.

Thats why the odd design keys too, I think, they're trying to get the attention of the average user/hobby collector, not enthusiasts.

My Hedgehog (RRR005) and Common Stock (RRR0008) arrived today and I must admit I am very pleasantly surprised. Fit and finish are top notch, no gaps in springs or covers, smooth transitions, no blade wobble, dead center blades, clean satin finishes, back-spring to open blade-back transitions are dead on smooth. Walk-Talk is smooth and precise. Pull is about a 6 on all blades. I was a bit worried that the swedges would have the same sharp corners I am seeing on some of the common models, but in fact all the swedge transitions are nice and smooth, no need to dehorn anything here. Both knives have the extra brass liner in the middle the same way the earlier multi-blade RRRs did. However, while the Kayak felt a bit too thick with the added spacer, these feel ok and not too wide at all. There are a few very minor things that I would not see on a top custom knife, but really nothing even worth mentioning in this context. These are really well made knives.

In my lil knife forum in UK, we have a guy called Mik who is a magnificent knife tinkerer extraordinaire - and recently upon receiving a BarBack he wanted to improve its fit n finish and give it a wee bit of a fettle

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the deal is with RRR06 and RRR07? These are two I am excited about and they sit there at SMKW unavailable, taunting me.

Does anyone know what the deal is with RRR06 and RRR07? These are two I am excited about and they sit there at SMKW unavailable, taunting me.
To be fair, I don't even think those fellas on the mountain know what the deal is with the RRR06 and RRR07... or the previous 5.

I think if the RRRs didn’t have the match strike pulls and had 1095 instead of D2, I would have the Hedgehog right now. Also, I’m curious to know if any of you share this opinion, but I don’t think half stops belong on all knives. For example, stockmans, canoes, muskrats, half stops don’t have a place there. But barlows, swaybacks, are good with half stops. Just sometimes it doesn’t fit the knife. Any thoughts?

After first passing on the Common Stock 008 due to the $60 price tag, was able to finally buy it during the recent July 4th sale for about $50. So I glad I did because this may wind up being my favorite in the series. The fit and finish are top notch and the size is great. In addition to the handy cap lifter, I love the main clip point blade. The only question I have is that blade something like a Lanny's Clip? Never owned a Lanny's Clip before and it is not described as one, but it seems to look a little like the pictures of the Lanny's Clip online. The only little difference I can tell is that it maybe has a higher angled drop from the nail nick than the actual Lanny's Clip?

I liked my Common Stock, but the bolsters were too sharp for my taste as the corners were constantly digging into my hand. I had to round the ends off a little.

Back