Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

We can pick these apart, sure. I think it is a positive they are attempting to go premium.

I have a couple of RR knives that are good users and I was surprised by the quality when I got them. I have other RR's that I bought to explore patterns that are fine but will probably sit or be given away. I think they are doing something different here and taking the pattern exploration off the table and making them more of a destination piece, which I find interesting.

The knives I buy are carried and used so maybe only one of these interests me. I passed up the GEC B&S for the same reason I will pass up a couple of these, they just do not have a practical application for me. I appreciate the fact these and the funky GEC's, etc are being produced as it pushes the industry forward.

I will likely try one of these, just "because".... I got one of the VG-10 stockmen, and it was pretty nicely made.. I got it with the intention of replacing the scales, and did that... on this one, they actually placed the blades in correctly, with the "ground sides" matching correctly, which eliminated the need to "krink" any blades.
jrVYS0.jpg
jL5OJr.jpg

it's actually a pretty slim, easy to carry stockman... with nice steel. I haven't done any cutting with it yet, but will get the edges the way I like them, and perhaps carry it for several days to see how it behaves...
I really think I prefer the VG-10 over the D2, but either one is a few steps above the 420's and 440ab's... 440C is pretty nice, though. Of course, these are just MY opinions, and worth what you paid for them.... :cool: :thumbsup:

I will likely try one of these, just "because".... I got one of the VG-10 stockmen, and it was pretty nicely made.. I got it with the intention of replacing the scales, and did that... on this one, they actually placed the blades in correctly, with the "ground sides" matching correctly, which eliminated the need to "krink" any blades.
it's actually a pretty slim, easy to carry stockman... with nice steel. I haven't done any cutting with it yet, but will get the edges the way I like them, and perhaps carry it for several days to see how it behaves...
I really think I prefer the VG-10 over the D2, but either one is a few steps above the 420's and 440ab's... 440C is pretty nice, though. Of course, these are just MY opinions, and worth what you paid for them.... :cool: :thumbsup:

Looks like a sweet little knife. I was eyeballing those. I see something like that for a price like that and I just think- eh, why not? I've got a few RR's sitting in my mailbox at home, so I'l eager to check them out.

Already abandoned? Where'd you hear this?

It is just my suspicion based on that I haven't heard or seen anything to prove VG-10 series isn't abandoned.

I didn't mean discontinued, they probably still make them, but no plans to add more interesting models. The series was released i think half a year ago or more and only has 2 knives and for me not the most popular because of size and handle material. Because of these flaws I guess it didn't sell good enough to expand, but since it is VG-10 for a decent price also not bad enough to not be somewhat profitable.

No new models came since release and I don't remember ever hearing much about this series in their videos, so I assumed they left old designs in production for now, but switched focus to other series.

Already abandoned? Where'd you hear this?
For me, the problem with RR is that, aesthetically speaking, their designs are horrendous! There's no bell or whistle they won't cram onto a knife. Here's an analogy: My wife's closet. She can get dressed up for work or an evening out, and look sharp as a damn razor! When my daughters were little, they'd go into that same closet full of clothes to play "dress up." Red shoes, a pink dress, brown sweater, green scarf, four necklaces, big sunglasses, three bracelets on each wrist, and then a maybe a trip to the bathroom for a clumsy smear of lipstick all over their faces. As far as I can tell, THAT is the approach of RR's "designer." It's like he grew up thinking gas station knives were the pinnacle of pocketknife design!

This is what turns me off of most RR and Case knives, and is why i'm excited to see more RRR offerings that align closer to a GEC design aesthetic -- no goofy "R" bolsters, no goofy shields or center bolsters, no outlandish blade etches.

Anyway.. Bulldog brand knives have matchstrike nail nicks. Were they as ill received because of them?

I am based in Australia and enjoy the history and tradition of American pocket knives. Due to the crazy prices of imported goods I could never afford them as a boy and am over-compensating as an adult!

But how, on any level, you American guys can go for these knock-off imports is just a real struggle for me to comprehend. Don’t you realise and appreciate the beauty, value and significance of your own cutlery industry?

This is the goofiest thread I've read in a while.

People being excoriated because other people don't understand the word 'political'.

Cheap knives being made offshore... Oh, wait a minute... They are imitating GEC? Ohhh... Well... Umm...

People making value judgements on other people's collecting preferences.

Really, folks, why do we care what others collect and why? I don't buy a lot of Chinese knives. My reasons are my own, and I've never burdened anyone else with why. Not buying Chinese knives doesn't mean that I'm xenophobic. It's doesn't mean that I have a political bent of any kind. It doesn't mean that I'm 'China bashing'. It means that, as a rule, I don't buy Chinese knives.

I don't want to read a lot of bigoted garbage here. I'm probably not alone in this. But, I'm also a reasonable (mostly) person, and can discriminate between opinion and bile.

I also don't buy melon testers or gunstocks. What are you going to do with that?

Sorry to bust your bubbles. :(

The arrowhead shield dates back to the 1800's.

Travman, The only people who've even heard of Northfield are folks who hang out at knife forums, like this one, or heard about them on Twitter, Facebook, possibly You Tube, or some other social media..
The same can be said for GEC.
Do either buy advertising in Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, or any magazine targeting hikers, shooters, etc. who's activities would increase the likelihood they'll buy a knife at least for when they are out doing whatever they like to do, or even in Playboy magazines?

Of course not. If nothing else, they don't produce enough knives to meet demand now, let alone the additional demand from "hipsters" and such if they were to advertise nationally. Advertising nationally could well add 20,000 and more to the demand for any particular pattern run.
Lets be honest. GEC does not have the manufacturing capacity to even come close to meeting demand if they were to effectively advertise nationally. That isn't meant as a knock or bash on GEC, by the way. It is only the simple truth.

Aside from large manufactures such as Case, Buck, Puma, Böker, Ontario, Victorinox SAK, and maybe a couple of the big "kitchen knife" manufacturers, cutlery companies generally don't buy advertising in the appropriate magazines or on the Saturday/Sunday morning and afternoon hunting and fishing TV shows.
They rely on word of mouth on social media/forums. (all cutlery (and firearms) manufacturers rely on word of mouth to some extent)

Most people don't hang out at/on a knife forum, or a forum where knives get much discussion. (this includes archery, camping, hiking, and hunting/fishing forums).
At best, they know the brands of knives sold at the local big box stores, and on Amazon and eBay.
I've never seen a GEC or related brand available on Amazon. Have you? Those on eBay are all high priced "New in Tube"/"Like New In Tube and "New/Like New No Tube" used knives, unlikely to garner much interest from someone who isn't a collector or "knife nut" looking for a specific GEC they missed out on by not getting their order in sometimes a few seconds to a minute or two after it was released. (and who are well aware they are going to be "taken to the cleaners" price wise, on the secondary market.

In short, the "Average" person has never heard of GEC and the related companies, believe the original Queen Cutlery and most of the other old names went bankrupt and shut down in the 1930's, during the great depression, and haven't been made since.

Most of those who do know what a Northwoods is, "wouldn't want to be caught dead" with a Rough Rider, or any of the long dead but in name only now made offshore knives, from what I've read on BF.
They won't buy the Rough Ryder no matter how nice it is, or what shield it has or doesn't have.

I've been a member here since 2014. Prior to joining BF, I'd never heard of GEC, or post 1930's production Northwoods, Northfield, and Queen knives. Until this thread, I didn't know Northwoods "normally" has an arrow shield.
Truth to tell, I thought Nothwoods was just another brand owned by GEC.

I don't know anyone for who the shield is a deal maker or deal breaker.

Shields are not proprietary designs. (The cross imprinted or stamped on SAK handles isn't really a "shield" but is proprietary.)
If they were, you can bet your bottom penny they would be patented, trademarked, and copyrighted (©) so no one else could use them.

How many different cutlery companies over just the last 150 years (since 1880) have used the bomb shield (both single and double) and plain oval shield? "All of them" is the correct answer. :)
Several cutlery companies used the arrowhead shield prior to World War one, and again between World War 1 and 2. Many more than Northwoods and Rough Ryder have used it since World War 2, as well.
Rather than "stealing brand recognition" (of a brand most folks have never heard of, no less) by using that shield, a more likely explanation is: "The designers and marketing team thought it looked the best."

Heck, not even the Horse Shoe shield used on some (but not all) Rough Ryder/Rough Rider knives isn't a proprietary design, and was used on knives long before Rough Rider/Rough Ryder was started.

I'm not in the customer base Northfield and/or GEC (and when they were still in business, Queen, CSC, and the other high end "collector" brands) sell their products to.

Heck, at the price point SMKW has their new Queen Cutlery/Queen City lines at, I'm not in their sights as a potential customer for those lines, either. Which is fine. :)

Sorry for the rant. :(
Uff. That was a long one!

Not buying Chinese knives doesn't mean that I'm xenophobic. It's doesn't mean that I have a political bent of any kind. It doesn't mean that I'm 'China bashing'. It means that, as a rule, I don't buy Chinese knives.
I’m not concerned about your rationale- it doesn’t belong in a discussion of knives, per the moderator and per the forum rules. People need to stop it with the “yeah, but...” on this. Just take your opinions of Chinese products elsewhere.

I am based in Australia and enjoy the history and tradition of American pocket knives. Due to the crazy prices of imported goods I could never afford them as a boy and am over-compensating as an adult!

But how, on any level, you American guys can go for these knock-off imports is just a real struggle for me to comprehend. Don’t you realise and appreciate the beauty, value and significance of your own cutlery industry?

Thanks for appreciating the companies here in the states that produce great knives. I’d say that I also appreciate them. In the rectangle are the American knives I could muster at a moments notice and in the Oval are my newly acquired Rough Ryders. They are actually not knockoffs- I’ve misspoken about that in the past. They’re legitimate slip joints. These patterns have been made dozens of ways by various companies over the years.
RL9az9W.jpg

I’m very satisfied with these Rough Ryders I received today. The work knife is spectacular- I’ve yet to put the steel to task, but the fit and finish, walk n talk and lockup are top notch. I can’t find any spring gaps. The Barlow has more flaws, but nothing I can’t overlook. Spring gaps, slightly off center main blade, uneven scale surfaces around the pins due to sanding. For $17 and $13 respectively I’m very impressed. I’ll be using both of these, and I won’t mind getting a little carefree with them. The barlow I bought my friend was equal in quality.

wtFQA50.jpg

Well done, Rough Ryder. Do I love my GEC’s more? You bet, but these will definitely come in handy when I’m working on my car or getting dirty laboring.

I’m not concerned about your rationale- it doesn’t belong in a discussion of knives, per the moderator and per the forum rules. People need to stop it with the “yeah, but...” on this. Just take your opinions of Chinese products elsewhere.

The forum rules say no China bashing. Saying I don't generally buy Chinese knives is not China bashing, nor does it express my opinion of Chinese products. You made an inference that is not accurate.

The moderator warned against political opinions being posted here. The word 'political' means, "relating to the government or the public affairs of a country." Nothing I wrote falls into that definition.

A little tolerance would be nice.

The Philosophy of Origin

I like China enough to have married one. Doesn’t mean I can’t shake my head a bit at one US importer/Chinese manufacturer’s interpretation of traditional American cutlery. I generally appreciate what they are. I own a number of them. I just wish they’d change a few things, because they could be so much more. For the record, my wife would tell you, with a touch of pride, that Chinese manufacturers are happy to copy any design that will make them money. And it’s not like these knives are high tech and patent-able. We all just have to form our own opinions about what we value in a Traditional knife. I’m a bit inconsistent myself. I’m happy to buy cheap Chinese knives alongside my US traditionals. But I won’t buy a puukko that’s not made in Finland. Some guys are happy to buy a puukko from the Balkans but don’t care for the idea of an American style knife not made in the US. It’s a personal choice. I guess for me, I see handmade knives as more representative m (so I want the handmade knife to be from the country of its heritage.) But a factory made knife by nature a bit more impersonal, can be made in lots of places, and if Sheffield can share its techniques with the US, then why can’t the US ideas in turn take root in China?

Rough Rider Knives

I have one RR Canoe that is pretty much the platonic ideal of what a Canoe can be. Nice size, nice pulls, attractive proportions, good fit and finish, and the fact it cost me $12 makes me a big fan of the RR phenomenon. I have other RRs that cut well, it just leaves me scratching my head about their design choices. One person put it well “like their designer never knew there was a better knife than the 9.99 ones from the gas station.”

With their “reserve” line they’re clearly angling for that more refined product. So the aspiration is there. But they still have a lot of homework to do in that department IMO. Same old RR so far. Only now instead of Case, or the GEC Viper, they’re going for Northwoods.

The forum rules say no China bashing. Saying I don't generally buy Chinese knives is not China bashing, nor does it express my opinion of Chinese products. You made an inference that is not accurate.

The moderator warned against political opinions being posted here. The word 'political' means, "relating to the government or the public affairs of a country." Nothing I wrote falls into that definition.

A little tolerance would be nice.

I can tolerate anyone who makes mistakes or does something unwelcome in error. Continuing to do so after repeated attempts to mitigate the conversation it is no longer a mistake.

Behind every action (or lack there-of) is a reason. I’m sure there’s a reason you don’t buy knives made in China, which I believe you said is your “rule”. Almost any reason you list is likely connected to the people and/or a perception of their abilities and/or a personal economic motivation, which has become political ever since the first discussion of making American goods back here. “Help the economy, buy American” is a political statement as it pertains to the economic wealth of a country and it’s citizens. Since I could make the same knife here or in China, location is not a factor in knife quality.

now perhaps you don’t buy products made in China because China starts with the letter “C”, but you can see that has no bearing on this discussion either.

the point is, location of manufacturing has no impact on the quality of the knives. I’d bet there’s a Chinese equivalent of Tony Bose in China right now making amazing knives so good that my hands aren’t fit to touch Them. Then there’s the Uncle Henry’s I’d gladly pass on. Get what I’m saying?

id love to hear your opinion of the knives RR is trying to sell, however. Do any of those three knives appeal to you? Why or why not? Comment on the company, the steel, the materials, the workmanship, the price point, the design, the quality, or even the customer service, but please don’t bother trying to defend “its made in China “ as a legitimate critique of a knife.

Sorry everyone, this is going off the rails and I’m not helping. Can someone get the discussion restarted on the OP’s original intent on the discussion of knives?

KnivesShipFree is the current owner of the Northwoods and Scagel brands and before that it was Dave Shirley. So it makes sense that KSF uses the arrowhead shield on their current Northwoods.

But my original point is valid. The only reason these new RR knives have a arrowhead shield is to try to take some of brand recognition from the current popular Northwoods knives.

Scagel is a man, not a brand. Dave Shirley originally promised he'd use the name only on reproductions of actual Bill Scagels knives. Unfortunately Scagel is now just a trademark owned by KSF. The Scagel knives now have no connection to Bill Scagel.

Last edited:
RR's execution of match strike nail nicks may not be to some tastes. Generally speaking there is nothing wrong with match strike nail nicks. Bob Cargill made extensive use of match strike nail nicks on Cripple Creeks. If its good enough for Bob, its good enough for me View attachment 1420961

I don't like D2... . I wish they made this line with the regualr steel and did not upgrade the Canoe with the new style.. should have kept the canoe the way it was.

Just make the fit and finish better.

Back