Rough Ryder vg10

I was looking on smkw site this morning and saw they had a stockman and mini trapper with aluminum handles and vg10 blades. Has anyone used one of these.im curious about the steel used in the blade

I looked at them...
I was interested in trying out their VG10 steel to see how it compared to the "other brand" that uses it a lot.
But alas the aluminum handles really turned me off. Not sure why companies are afraid to put higher end steels in normal traditional knives.

When I see independent U.S. lab analysis confirming it is indeed VG-10, I'll think about it. Until then, it's just something stamped on the blade to sell product.

I looked at them...
I was interested in trying out their VG10 steel to see how it compared to the "other brand" that uses it a lot.
But alas the aluminum handles really turned me off. Not sure why companies are afraid to put higher end steels in normal traditional knives.
That's been my only reservation with these as well. VG-10 is my favorite steel, and I'm always in the market for traditionals with quality stainless. A shame they had to go so far out with the handles.

When I see independent U.S. lab analysis confirming it is indeed VG-10, I'll think about it. Until then, it's just something stamped on the blade to sell product.

And then there's always the question of heat treat ...

I'm guessing it's the demographic.
Because a lot of people who buy them are average Joe's like me who don't need them.
I don't need or want them, but it's cool that it's being offered for those who do even if these particular knives are a bit non traditional.

Last edited:

Why is that? Most people are satisfied with Rough Ryder's steel and heat treat, unlike say, Bark River.

I understand your skepticism.

But do you need that on US made knives? Because it seems that not all US makers are heat treating their super steels well enough for them to outperform VG10 etc.

I think SMKW would care enough about their reputation to make sure, but IDK.

Here's my video on the VG10 Stockman:

Just an Unboxing but hopefully I'll get to a full review soon.

With the use I've done with it so far, I'm sure that it's not the same steel Rough Ryder normally uses.

I saw those. I won't be getting one, since they are both a considerable bit smaller than I normally carry.
Based on my experience with their 440A, and T10, my guess is they give the VG10 a good heat treat.
As B B.F.U says, they have a reputation for having good blades and heart treat, I doubt they will knowingly do anything to jeopardize that.

I don't mind the screw together construction. I do wish they could have used a more traditional cover material though, maybe even offer different natural materials (bone, horn, wood, etc.) that the end user/owner could swap around as desired, like Lion Steel does. (I think Lion Steel sells the different covers as an accessory, at any rate.)

Thanks for the video LHS. Looks better in your video than the reseller vids. Might check one out for myself.

That is a good price for a vg-10 knife! I don’t care for the two tone color scheme but that is a nice deal for people who like modern slipjoints.

Mine got teak covers soon after i got it.

View attachment 1300427 View attachment 1300428
That's exactly what I was thinking.... "this knife screams for replacement covers"... and it should be dead simple, with screw attachment...

you guys are a terrible example.... I just ordered one of the stockman knives. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it looks like they finally got it right on the blade alignment... This one might end up with olivewood.. or ebony.

Last edited:
I dont think i have the abilities to do a video but i will explain the process i used.

My coworker (carpenter) ran some scrap teak through the planner to make thin aprox 1/8"maybe a bit less.

Then i removed the old covers with small torx driver.

Trace out old scales on teak.

Cut just outside the lines with bandsaw

Clamp both new scales and one old one together and drill screw holes.

Carefully countersink holes to accomodate screw heads being careful not to go all the way through.

Tape off backspring area

This step may be looked down on, but it worked......clean knife liners and wood with acetone and apply a layer of superglue to inside of scales and screw in place. I also used spring clamps to hold the middle tight.

Once glue has kicked carefully sande edges till flush and round the corners and you're done.

I decided to use the glur to keep moisture out of the gap and because the small two screws on each end didnt look like they would hold such thin wood very long.

Good luck!

Back