Rough Spydie Hole on Delica 4

The only Spydercos I've ever owned are the PM2 and PM3, which I love.

I've recently decided to try some others and picked up a burnt orange Delica 4 with a wharncliffe blade. I like it except for some rough edges, most notably on the spydie hole. Almost feels as if it will cut my finger when manipulating the action.

I typically wet sand rough edges, so it's not really a big deal. However, having never handled a Delica, I'm not sure if this is an expected production finish on it or just a QC issue on the specimen that I have.

Thoughts from other Delica owners/users/admirers/fans?

Not a Spyderco owner but I have heard of others having this issue. Like you said a quick sanding will take care of it.

The only Spydercos I've ever owned are the PM2 and PM3, which I love.

I've recently decided to try some others and picked up a burnt orange Delica 4 with a wharncliffe blade. I like it except for some rough edges, most notably on the spydie hole. Almost feels as if it will cut my finger when manipulating the action.

I typically wet sand rough edges, so it's not really a big deal. However, having never handled a Delica, I'm not sure if this is an expected production finish on it or just a QC issue on the specimen that I have.

Thoughts from other Delica owners/users/admirers/fans?

Some Spydies come like that. Seems to depend on the model but is less prevalent on US made folders.

My Delicas and Enduras came with fairly sharp corners to the Spydie hole. Not bad enough I had to sand it, but there seems to be variation even from one individual knife to the next.

In other words it is normal.

My tan Delica had some sharp edges on the spydie hole as well. I sanded it smooth

Last edited:
Same here, and not just on Spydercos. If I have spots that feel a bit rough I just use some fine sandpaper to smooth them out.

Must be fairly rare as I've had one with rough edges. I agree with the others that a little sandpaper is the cure though.

Ive had a half dozen Delicas and never had an issue, then ordered one and it was slightly sharp feeling but not really sharp. Barely used some 600 grit on the two edges and no problem. If you're careful you'll never be able to tell.

Thanks all. Sounds like this is fairly expected on some models. Was just trying to se my expectations.

I'll sand it down and move on.

Cheers and TGIF!

Every Spyderco I've ever had out of Seki City came with sharp edges on the spydie hole. It's to be expected.

qF44NSW.jpg

Can have wider sandpaper now that I'm looking at it. This does a good job

Last edited:
Thanks all. Sounds like this is fairly expected on some models. Was just trying to se my expectations.

I'll sand it down and move on.

Cheers and TGIF!
I never actually noticed. I have a few Japanese Spydies. Need to look at them more closely. But I would have just used some sand paper on a knife to smooth out the edge a little.

The sharp edge thing is precisely why I tended to not buy Ruger revolvers as a first choice in general. I do own a number of Ruger revolvers and this issue always bugs me a bit when I shoot them. I always ask... why would Ruger do this? The answer is a production cost measure.

As mentioned, my Golden Spydies have been finished nicely around the Spydie hole. Also my Tenacious is finished nicely around the hole, (the liners are a bit sharp). My older Taiwan Spydies had a sharp 90 degree edge around the hole but my newer ones are slightly chamfered and perfect. My Japanese Spydies however all came with rough spots on the Spydie holes. It’s as if they never bothered to finish the inside of the holes before hitting the edges. The actual edges were slightly sanded or chamfered but since there’s bumps inside the holes there ends up being little sharp spots that are it very uncomfortable to use until I took a Dremel or a file and sandpaper to them.

I’ve acquired two D4’s in the last few years. One of them had a painfully sharp Spydiehole and a lockspring so stiff it required benchtopping. The other was uncharacteristicly smootn in all regards, and even flickable.

I guess I’ve sampled both ends of the spectrum. :thumbsup:

qF44NSW.jpg

Can have wider sandpaper now that I'm looking at it. This does a good job
When I first glanced at your pic , I thought it was showing how you could cut cord with your Spypiehole ! :eek:

I've never had any that I needed to sand , let alone cut stuff . ;)

Ya'll know part of the fun of this hobby is to tough up your thumb (sharp spydiehole) and index finger (flipper tab);) Nowadays my right thumb occasionally serves as a strop:p

I don't think they are actually sharp, but occasionally one might feel that way. And some people have more sensitive hands for lack of a better descriptor.
If they didn't have some "sharpness", your thumb wouldn't catch and it wouldn't function reliably and then everyone would be complaining about that.

I only have one Spyderco, a Delica 4 FFg, that has a very roughly finished thumb hole. But I've never even come close to feeling like my thumb could be hurt or get cut by the hole, as I've heard some people say in the past. None of my other Spydercos, including my Seki-made ones, are 'sharp'. They just aren't really chamfered, or whatever that process is called.

Jim

I don't think they are actually sharp, but occasionally one might feel that way. And some people have more sensitive hands for lack of a better descriptor.
If they didn't have some "sharpness", your thumb wouldn't catch and it wouldn't function reliably and then everyone would be complaining about that.
Yea ! There needs to some edge to get traction . Don't go nuts filing it all away !

Back