Round up those Cattle Knives!!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
For the most part, Cattle knives are equal-end knives with three blades. They are reputed to precede the more graceful Stockman, although often filling the same role in usage. Levine's Guide number IV has an in depth multi-page description, and it makes good reading, and clears up a lot of the terms used!! Highly recommended!! Starts on page 284 and has lots of pictures!!
I have always enjoyed this pattern. It is simple, almost primitive in nature, yet has the sophistication needed for a multi-use work knife! Bring out your nice examples please, and show them to us here!
I will start with a few. From the top, a Schrade Cut Co, one of the Stainless ones from the early 1930s! Then another Schrade Cut Co with a Clip main.
The next one is stamped FORGED (over) USA, and the last is stamped, MADE IN (over) USA.
The last two may have been made for various military branches. I'll let you folks tell me who might have made them, because I can't remember!
Cattle 1.jpg Cattle 1A.jpg

I've always liked cattle knives, though I only have a single Imperial. Strangely enough, that knife is a twin to one I lost out on in an auction, to you of all people. That was perhaps a dozen or so years ago, back when EBay showed a bidder's complete username. Before we even made each other's acquaintance you were already giving me lessons on the finer points of knife collecting...lol.

19892389736_53e810efce_c.jpg

Another Imperial

Imperial%2520AAC%2520Cattleknife%2520Tang.JPG

Imperial%2520Cattleknife.JPG

I only have it because it was likely a USAAC or USN BuAer knife, and I'm trying to keep the VAST majority of my pocket knife collection as scout pattern/SAKs and military knives. Imperial made more than a half million of these with the Imperial stamp under military contracts.

Last edited:
The next one is stamped FORGED (over) USA, and the last is stamped, MADE IN (over) USA.
The last two may have been made for various military branches. I'll let you folks tell me who might have made them, because I can't remember!
FORGED over USA is Camillus IIRC, but I may be way off there.

MADE IN over USA was the WW2 Kingston lash up between Imperial and Ulster to get more government contracts. The military contracts and contract drawings required these knives to have spearpoint, sheepfoot, and pen blades.

Last edited:
Back