Round up those Cattle Knives!!

Man I just checked out that Ulster again Kevin- what a awesome Knife!

Here is a A.G.Russell ( without the main etch ) Queen ( Dan Burke ) Cattle Knife!
Man... do you know when you have this Tank on your person lol! what a fun Knife!..
High relief Carved Bone...

8sbZ9cU.jpg

O0HhQgh.jpg

vBPTLxY.jpg

M2LEG56.jpg

09IJqdh.jpg

Man I just checked out that Ulster again Kevin- what a awesome Knife!

Here is a A.G.Russell ( without the main etch ) Queen ( Dan Burke ) Cattle Knife!
Man... do you know when you have this Tank on your person lol! what a fun Knife!..
High relief Carved Bone...

8sbZ9cU.jpg

O0HhQgh.jpg

vBPTLxY.jpg

M2LEG56.jpg

09IJqdh.jpg
Mine has the etch. They are built like the proverbial tank!

The high-riding sheepsfoot blade is probably one of my favorite things about Case’s 18-pattern, medium stockman because it’s the one blade I can pinch open one-handed if I have the other hand tied-up working on something. I buy a lot of different knives and use them all, but the 18-pattern is the one I always go back to, simply because it was my first “real” knife as a teenager, and the one I’m most accustomed to using. I have a lot of 47-pattern Cases, which is a stockman pattern just a touch bigger than the 18-pattern, but with a standard clip blade vs the Turkish or California clip on most of the 18-patterns. I don’t notice much difference in carrying the larger 47 day-to-day until I need to pinch open a blade one-handed, which you simply can’t do, in my experience, with the 47-pattern stockman. I will say this; the older 47-patterns - from, say, the mid- to late-1980s and before - tended to come more commonly with a thinner, high carbon blade and, honed to a low-angle profile, they get wickedly sharp.

I love cattle knives, and there are a LOT of beautiful ones in this thread. I might be going on a cattle knife binge because of this thread. Here are some of mine.

I believe this is a Camillus made for Sears
cHYJA1S.jpg

An early W. Bingham
5DbEh8A.jpg

1928-1930s Boker
T3lRfsK.jpg

And an early Catt
7hbM3Jl.jpg

You've got some real nice cattle knives! They are not as common now as the stockman is, though they used to be. Both are equally my favorite patterns.

Back