Ruger LCR .22

It's not quite what I was expecting, but Ruger has actually come out with a .22 version of its LCP 2.

I very briefly looked at it when I saw the notice, but lost interest quick. The two things they did that seemed to me senseless, the addition of a manual safety that has to be dealt with, and a magazine disconnect. I can't stand mag disconnects. If I'm dealing with a self defense handgun, I want the thing to fire if I'm in the middle of a mag change. Then again, I seriously question the sense of having a rimfire pistol for defense in a semi auto. At least with a revolver if I get a dud, just pull the trigger again. That takes a fraction of a second. The two times I needed a gun the range was like 6 feet in one instance and about 3 feet in the other. Not enough distance or time for a tap-rack-bang drill.

I can only wonder why they just didn't bring out a .22 version of the regular LCP2? Or even better, an LCP2 in .25acp for us recoil sensitive senior citizens? A .25 LCP would be a heck of a better defense weapon in a small semiauto than a rimfire. When John Moses Browning invented the .25acp, he wanted to duplicate the .22lr ballistics but with center fire reliability. The .25 was the smallest case that would hold a small pistol primer. When I was a kid in Washington D.C. the little .25's were a very popular pocket gun. The little Colt juniors, Astra Cubs, Baby Brownings, Beretta Jetfires, Galesi's, old stuff brought back from the war like Walther model 5's, Ortgies, and odd makes. Just abut every second swinging Richard on the street had a .25, and they worked well. Killed a lot of people.

If I'm shooting rimfire, I'll stay with a wheel gun.

Last edited:
Don't know where I've been. But had not even heard about the G44 or LCP-II in .22 until now. The Glock sounds interesting. Love the way all my Glocks shoot. But would be really curious about the trigger pull weight on the LCP.

While I really hate my LCP (380), I LOVE my LCR's (22 & 357). As has already been said, they're not as pretty to look at as S&W revolvers. But very sweet shooters nonetheless. This is a very recycled pic, but my only 22 caliber fidget spinners.

O9zKthH.jpg

Don't know where I've been. But had not even heard about the G44 or LCP-II in .22 until now. The Glock sounds interesting. Love the way all my Glocks shoot. But would be really curious about the trigger pull weight on the LCP.

While I really hate my LCP (380), I LOVE my LCR's (22 & 357). As has already been said, they're not as pretty to look at as S&W revolvers. But very sweet shooters nonetheless. This is a very recycled pic, but my only 22 caliber fidget spinners.

O9zKthH.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice dynamic duo you've got there!

I just traveled from Georgetown Texas to Mission Viejo California with that pair as my on road security. Of course, I had to stop at the California border to unload and lock them up in the truck, as California does not recognize my Texas cary permit. :mad:

I've toyed a lot with the idea of the laser sight on the mini, thinking of it just for yuks. Does it work and how do you like it?

I would probably really like the Glock G44 as I am a Glock fan. But it would not be for self defense. The most likely scenario is that I won't buy one since I have plenty of 22's.

I very briefly looked at it when I saw the notice, but lost interest quick. The two things they did that seemed to me senseless, the addition of a manual safety that has to be dealt with, and a magazine disconnect. I can't stand mag disconnects. If I'm dealing with a self defense handgun, I want the thing to fire if I'm in the middle of a mag change. Then again, I seriously question the sense of having a rimfire pistol for defense in a semi auto. At least with a revolver if I get a dud, just pull the trigger again. That takes a fraction of a second. The two times I needed a gun the range was like 6 feet in one instance and about 3 feet in the other. Not enough distance or time for a tap-rack-bang drill.

My guess is the inclusion of the safety and magazine disconnect is so they can establish sales in states like California, giving them one less reason to deny Ruger the business. Then once the model gets cleared in these problematic states, they can release an updated version with the pointless features deleted for sale in the free states.

I can only wonder why they just didn't bring out a .22 version of the regular LCP2? Or even better, an LCP2 in .25acp for us recoil sensitive senior citizens? A .25 LCP would be a heck of a better defense weapon in a small semiauto than a rimfire. When John Moses Browning invented the .25acp, he wanted to duplicate the .22lr ballistics but with center fire reliability. The .25 was the smallest case that would hold a small pistol primer. When I was a kid in Washington D.C. the little .25's were a very popular pocket gun. The little Colt juniors, Astra Cubs, Baby Brownings, Beretta Jetfires, Galesi's, old stuff brought back from the war like Walther model 5's, Ortgies, and odd makes. Just abut every second swinging Richard on the street had a .25, and they worked well. Killed a lot of people.

If I'm shooting rimfire, I'll stay with a wheel gun.

There are a great many handguns in .25 ACP that I'd like to get. But what I don't like is the price of the ammunition. The cheapest stuff I can find is $16 for a box of 50, making it more expensive than .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Special, and a number of other calibers.

Complicating it further is the total absence of Tula alternatives with steel cases for lower prices. If something like that existed and brought the price of .25 ACP down to an acceptable degree, I'd be all over it without a second thought.

My guess is the inclusion of the safety and magazine disconnect is so they can establish sales in states like California, giving them one less reason to deny Ruger the business. Then once the model gets cleared in these problematic states, they can release an updated version with the pointless features deleted for sale in the free states.

Yeah, I didn't think about that!!

Last summer I had to go with my daughter down to a local gun shop here in Kali, and there was paper work for the Ruger LCP I had bought for her in Texas, since they were not for sale in Kali. But there was a clause for a gift from dad to child. If Ruger designed the .22 LCP2 for the express purpose for circumnavigating the California gun laws that makes sense. Shame Ruger has to jump through hoops just to do business in the state.

Also a shame the .25acp ammo is so high. I wasn't in the 'old days' but with current trends people listening to the gun shop guru's they discount the humble little .25 as inadequate. I wish I still had that Beretta I traded off in some deal many years ago.

The Ruger SR22-P isn't a bad little 22 bottom feeder. It functions very well or has. It is a tad larger than the LCP's. More coat pocket sized. I have no complaints with this little 22 pistol.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice dynamic duo you've got there!

I just traveled from Georgetown Texas to Mission Viejo California with that pair as my on road security. Of course, I had to stop at the California border to unload and lock them up in the truck, as California does not recognize my Texas cary permit. :mad:

I've toyed a lot with the idea of the laser sight on the mini, thinking of it just for yuks. Does it work and how do you like it?
This laser sight works great for how I use it. But if used for SD purposes, the current sights are grip based and much more snag resistant.

Use to have a ranching partner that carried that little Beretta in .25, the one with the tip up barrel, in a pocket of his jeans. He is 6'6'' and about 250 lbs. I use to tease him about carrying such a little gun. He'd say "Dave if I shoot em with a mag of those little .25s and I still can't whoop their butt, I got a butt whooping coming". At his size I most always agreed with him.

Use to have a ranching partner that carried that little Beretta in .25, the one with the tip up barrel, in a pocket of his jeans. He is 6'6'' and about 250 lbs. I use to tease him about carrying such a little gun. He'd say "Dave if I shoot em with a mag of those little .25s and I still can't whoop their butt, I got a butt whooping coming". At his size I most always agreed with him.

Don't have to be 6'6" to appreciate the .25/ We had a friend that was 6'2" and a whiz bang at the karate thing. Name was Al. He was some nth degree black belt and competed in full contact karate buts. Had a pretty full trophy case at home with the bouts he'd won. I think he saw himself fas the next Chuck Norris. But his full time job was at the department of something downtown in D.C..

One day Al was coming home on the Metro, and he gets off at his stop in Silver Spring, Maryland just outside D.C. and walks over to the parking garage to get his car. Al and few other fellow commuters get off the elevator and walk right into a teenage Ghetto kid with a shiny Raven .25 auto. Ghetto kids tells them to drop their wallets and watches nd get back onto the elevator. They all drop their wallets except Al. Al tried one of his karate moves and misses, ghetto kid doesn't. All the witnesses say there was a pop, and Sal grabs his chest, goes to his knees and flops face down on the cement floor of the parking garage, mutters "Oh Shite" and dies. One round from the little itty bitty .25acp that people say is little better than a sharp stick, and the would be Chuck Norris was dead on the cement. He's been dead ever since.

John Moses Browning was the closest thing the firearms field ever had to a Leonardo De Vinci genius. He designed the .25acp as a close range vest pocket size defense gun. Mr. Browning had a kind of ass backward way of designing guns. He'd design the cartridge first according to what he wants it to do, then designs the gun around it. The .25 was the smallest case that would hold a small pistol primer. He designed the round to punch through the sternum and ribs to reach the heart and lungs. It does just that.

Anyone doubts the .25acp, look up Vassily Blohkin.

This is true, but there are cases where the victim was shot multiple times with a 25acp, lived, and the perp was trying to kill the victim (not wound). The case I am referred to was a drug related shooting in my area. On that particular job, I was inside a house by myself and a car kept circling by the house, multiple times.... a neighbor later told me that this was probably the guy who shot the other person with the 25acp and I could have been his next victim. That is when I decided I would carry on all of these jobs where I'm alone and got my carry permit. I was resisting getting the permit up to that point.... local PDs told me "just carry", if something happens we won't ding you for not having a permit. I got the permit as I don't trust every LEO to feel that way.

I can only wonder why they just didn't bring out a .22 version of the regular LCP2?

Ruger just announced that they will be offering an LCPII in .22.

It seems like the street price will be around $250.

I might have to pick one up just to play around with.

This is true, but there are cases where the victim was shot multiple times with a 25acp, lived, and the perp was trying to kill the victim (not wound). The case I am referred to was a drug related shooting in my area. On that particular job, I was inside a house by myself and a car kept circling by the house, multiple times.... a neighbor later told me that this was probably the guy who shot the other person with the 25acp and I could have been his next victim. That is when I decided I would carry on all of these jobs where I'm alone and got my carry permit. I was resisting getting the permit up to that point.... local PDs told me "just carry", if something happens we won't ding you for not having a permit. I got the permit as I don't trust every LEO to feel that way.

Theres been all kinds of people shot multiple times with handgun bullets and lived. Handgun rounds are not the magic wand Hollywood and that poser Jeff Cooper would have you believe. If the bullet hits something vital, it will kill. If doesn't, it won't. Its really simple as that. I've known someone who was killed by a .25, so I'm skeptical when gun magazine guru's who have never been in a single life and death shooting spout their bull hockey. Go find me someone who is willing to take a few .25's center of mass. Tell ya what, go shoot yourself in the leg with a .25 and report back how it felt.

As for those cases of people getting shot with .25's and not being taken down, its always somebody who knows a guy who's cousin worked with a guy...

I grew up in D.C.. I know how well they work. I won't stand in front of one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 315
As we have discussed before, I am just not a 25 acp person. I would go larger (380) if I were looking for a pocket pistol. I have always been pretty comfortable with a 22 or 38spl revolver. And of course I don't want to get shot by a 22 or 25 caliber gun.

I had that small Beretta with the tip up barrel for quite a while too. I had it in .22lr and really liked it for deep cover. My thinking on the .22 over the .25 was ammo was cheaper and so I'd shoot it a lot more and its shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

The only redeeming aspect of 25 acp is functionality with full metal jacketed ammo in a little pocket pistol and perhaps more reliable cartridge ignition over the 22. The big negatives are as Horsewright Horsewright mentioned is ammunition cost as compared to 22LR, and without much more effect and a LOT more noise. I have a couple of the little Colt pistols (Juniors) in 22 Short but I have never shot one. So, I have no idea about reliability. At the time, they were added as part of my collection. But my interest in Colt pistols generally faded in favor of 22 revolvers. So, that is where my money went for years with a few twists and turns like a 6" Colt Trooper Mark III in 357; this is a great revolver and like it better than the infamous Python! And it is the 357 that I actually shoot. My others don't get shot in 357, only 38spl.

Yeah, I didn't think about that!!

Last summer I had to go with my daughter down to a local gun shop here in Kali, and there was paper work for the Ruger LCP I had bought for her in Texas, since they were not for sale in Kali. But there was a clause for a gift from dad to child. If Ruger designed the .22 LCP2 for the express purpose for circumnavigating the California gun laws that makes sense. Shame Ruger has to jump through hoops just to do business in the state.

Also a shame the .25acp ammo is so high. I wasn't in the 'old days' but with current trends people listening to the gun shop guru's they discount the humble little .25 as inadequate. I wish I still had that Beretta I traded off in some deal many years ago.

Well it's not the Jetfire, but I did find a couple of auctions for Beretta Bobcats in .25 ACP if you're interested.

Back