ruined my 4-max?

so I just got the cold steel 4-max and the pivot screw was super loose I would open the knife 5 or 6 times and the pivot screw would almost be falling out. I'm super ocd and I wanted it fixed late at night and I didn't have any lock tite blue so I decided to use super glue(I know I'm an idiot I don't need to here it) so I put the super glue on and screwed it down but it didn't get it as far into the pivot as I wanted, so if the pivot screw isn't far enough in the knife is the knife ruined will the lock fail? or is the knife still in working order? there doesn't seem to be any blade play also just as a note.

I don't know what to say, other than I think I would have waited and one and bought some actual loctite. There are solvents that will dissolve super glue, I think I would try that first.

I've done the same thing with dial calipers. I don't think you'll ever get any solvent deep enough into the threads to free it. I think you'll need to plunge an endmill into the flat opposite the screw head. You would need to have a replacement pivot assembly on hand, to measure the thickness of the head of the female nut. Then you would stop the plunge cut slightly short of this dimension, and tap it free with a center punch. This would require a carbide endmill and a coolant spray. You would need a endmill with a smaller diameter than the head, yet larger than the pin.

Last edited:
Don't use the knife. You will have to dismantle & clean. You will have trouble getting solvent into a screw joint. Perhaps heat the pivot with a soldering iron?

I mean its in there a good amount its only slightly patruding from the scale and the blade centering looks good and the knife has a very solid lock up, would everyone still say not to use it?

Sorry to hear that. I would have sent it back and think I still would. Wouldn't hurt to call them up and try.
Even if they charge you it would still be worth it to have them fix it. Good Luck. Kevin 👍😊

If there's no blade play, by all means, use it. It won't harm the knife. The only problem would be, if it wore in and loosened, you'd never be able to tighten it.

Like said above......if no blade play & centered why not just use it?? No danger at all.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're spreading soft butter, use it.
With more forceful tasks, a snug pivot stops the frame from twisting bending, & keeps the tang/frame bearing surface in proper contact. Potentially wrecking the knife. Is it your only knife?

List of things not to do to a knife. Check.

i'd just use it and see if it ever comes loose.

On my cheap China beater knives I hold the screws in with gorilla glue. Works great for holding the screws in and is simple enough to unscrew with a little more pressure. Super glue is prone to cracking with enough pressure and I can only imagine how thin of a coat is on the screw.

You can use clear nail polish instead of loctite, depends on who is living with you at the time of course. Take care

Sorry to hear that. I would have sent it back and think I still would. Wouldn't hurt to call them up and try.
Even if they charge you it would still be worth it to have them fix it. Good Luck. Kevin 👍😊

^This. Call them up (800-255-4716), let them know exactly what you did, and see what they advise. :thumbup:

I lost the pivot screw to my recon 1 for probably 3 months. Did not have any issues once it was locked. Found the screw finally. Its a beater, something I use for tasks I normally wouldn't subject my others to. I don't carry it, just keep it in the kitchen junk drawer.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back