Rumor of happenings between Ontario and RAT Cutlery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry BOATS fixing that...

RC, ok, I overlooked the fact that the new RC3's have a 'Rowen' mark, where as the RAT 3's have 'RAT3' marked on them. Another reason to own a RC3. From memory a year old, IIRC the RAT3's have thicker scales then the RC3. And the RC3 handle is a bit shorter, correct?

The RC3 has the same handle thickness as the RAT 3 and the RC3 handle is about 3/8" longer than the RAT 3. The RC3 has a VERY different heat treat that will enable it to deflect from straight about 30 degrees and not break and return to straight . The RAT 3 will break if you try this.

Mike, are you serious?

Are you saying that I can bend the RC3 30 degrees and it will not break and it will return to the original straightness with no plastic deformation?

If I got that right, WOW sounds like titanium.

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

Jeff,
Stick to your guns they don't have a chance and they are trying to bully you into leaving. It is not whether they are right in their pursuit, it will be a decision of dollars.
It is simple economics and they will have to decide is more beneficial to put dollars into driving you out. Either way they will lose. Whether they can afford to topple you or not they lose face with the entire market.
You make a great product and I hope you win. GO kick their Ass!
We will be submitting emails reinforcing this position.

Mike, are you serious?

Are you saying that I can bend the RC3 30 degrees and it will not break and it will return to the original straightness with no plastic deformation?

If I got that right, WOW sounds like titanium.

Tom
Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop

Tom, go to this page http://www.ratcutlery.com/assembly.htm

scroll down to the bottom and take a look at a testing video that Rowen did.

holy shitaki mushrooms!!!!that's awesome jeff.

Video screen captures are sequential. Note the PLAY scroll on the Quicktime movie player.

Bend #1.

RCBEND1.jpg

Bend #2.

RCBEND2.jpg

Back to straight.

RCStraight.jpg

If you take it much further than that it snaps. We also have video taking them to the breaking point. So, we will never say our knives won't break because they will but this is Rowen's own heat treat recipe and this type of flex is pretty much unheard of in the industry when it comes to 1095 steel. Oh, and 1095 re-sharpens easily and will rust also so it's probably not cool enough for all these guys wanting all this high-priced exotic stuff. It's pretty much no-bullshit steel in our opinion...sort of like RAT Cutlery. :D

Cool video, I don't know how I missed it before.

I know you guys are making the RAT-5, but is there any chance of making the RAT-3 in the future? I prefer the shorter handles.

If you take it much further than that it snaps. We also have video taking them to the breaking point. So, we will never say our knives won't break because they will but this is Rowen's own heat treat recipe and this type of flex is pretty much unheard of in the industry when it comes to 1095 steel. Oh, and 1095 re-sharpens easily and will rust also so it's probably not cool enough for all these guys wanting all this high-priced exotic stuff. It's pretty much no-bullshit steel in our opinion...sort of like RAT Cutlery. :D

high speed, no drag? :)

1095 and O1 are my favorite. Having them in a knife is pretty much a selling point for me.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just to be flat honest with you I doubt we will ever be a RAT-3 since most people prefer the longer handles of the RC-3. There are still some good RAT-3s out there made by Ontario before we told them to cease and desist. I would just make sure whoever you buy it from will check the grind for you and make sure it's straight, true, symmetrical, etc. Derrick and Tom on this forum would probably do that for you and I think they are still carrying the Ontario RAT-3.

Oh, and 1095 re-sharpens easily and will rust also so it's probably not cool enough for all these guys wanting all this high-priced exotic stuff. It's pretty much no-bullshit steel in our opinion...sort of like RAT Cutlery. :D

You know, if I wasn't a poor boy, I never would have found this out. I was jonesing for the high tech shit (I think S30V was the hot ticket at the time), but just couldn't afford it, The Ontario RATs were the best thing going at the time, so I picked up a RAT-7.

I'll be damned if what you say isn't true. I've come to think of 1095 as the "wonder steel" (Although for truly large knives, I think a spring steel is best -- yet still sharpens easily, and rusts :D ).

Now 1095 is one of the things I actually seek out when looking for knives.

Just to be flat honest with you I doubt we will ever be a RAT-3 since most people prefer the longer handles of the RC-3. There are still some good RAT-3s out there made by Ontario before we told them to cease and desist. I would just make sure whoever you buy it from will check the grind for you and make sure it's straight, true, symmetrical, etc. Derrick and Tom on this forum would probably do that for you and I think they are still carrying the Ontario RAT-3.

I have 2 RAT-3. One with a uneven grind, and the replacement I got thanks to you guys. They are good knives, but I really want a RC RAT-3 with the heat treat and all. ;)

Glad this thread came back up, nice video to see the strength of the steel. GO RAT!

"Lt. Col. David G. Johnson, the command spokesman, said that while there were no reports of ammunition misfiring, some of it was in such poor condition that the military had decided not to issue it."

"soon after arriving there, the cardboard boxes had split open and their contents spilled out, revealing ammunition manufactured in China in 1966.

“This is what they give us for the fighting,” said the colonel, Amanuddin, who like many Afghans has only one name. “It makes us worried, because too much of it is junk.” Ammunition as it ages over decades often becomes less powerful, reliable and accurate."

Corrosive primed Chicom Ammo ( factories supplied by Russia) is likely the least of the problems...it will go bang every time ( ok no ammo does and I've had wincher sqibs!)...

His main problem was not repackaging and retesting the ammo.

Most older ammo get HOTTER because the gun-power breaks up and becomes even faster burning...that is one LIE in this article from a ignorant yank Col.

No reports of misfires(at least with one lot) shows the ammo was OK, packaging should have been up to NATO spec.

And of course the CHINA issue...sorry this stuff was in ALBANIAN hands for 30-40 years....should have been destroyed, but was sold instead and the US...

a Young idiot contractor, set himself up for the wolves...even with ok ammo.

Last edited:
What was all that about?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back