Running a grinder in Reverse

Hankins

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Anyone doing this?
Because I suck at flat grinding on a Platen I like doing my flat grinds parallel to the contact wheel. However it is more difficult to keep precise control.
Would like to do them edge up across a horizontal contact wheel. This will really require being able to run the belt in both directions (I'm lazy) for best control.
Which grinder would work best? Saw a Video on Kevin McClung aka "Mad Dog" doing this on a 4 x 40 he modified. Open to all suggestions

I run my grinder reversed on occasion, but it took a little fine tuning to track correctly. What kind of grinder do you have? Do you have a VFD?

At slow speed some grinders will run in reverse, but tracking has to be adjusted carefully.

If tracking is setup correctly on most any grinder it "should" run in reverse just fine. I had to fiddle with my grinder a tad to get it to run in reverse, but after I changed to the Reeder type tracking adjustment it tracks better in reverse. How fast it would run in reverse I'm not sure. I do run it up to 2500 SFPM at times in reverse just fine.

I grind all my kitchen knives with the belt running away from me. Hardcore grinder. It tracks perfectly in reverse

I run mine in reverse horizontally to do drawn swedges. I have an Ameribrade fastback with a reverse tracking knob but dont really have to fiddle with it much at all.

I'm curious what 'tuning' can be done... I run mine in reverse (wilmont tag 101) but have had to angle the tracking wheel a little. Even now it is like 1/16" off on my platen.

Making a decision which new grinder to get... Looking at the KMG-TX or ?
Yes it will have a VFD and speed will vary according to task

Making a decision which new grinder to get... Looking at the KMG-TX or ?
Yes it will have a VFD and speed will vary according to task

I am just getting my new KMG-TX setup. I will let you know how it tracks in reverse. Should have the new bench setup for it next week.

Thanks bmilleker looking forward to hearing your findings

Last edited:
I am just getting my new KMG-TX setup. I will let you know how it tracks in reverse. Should have the new bench setup for it next week.
Hankins, I would be very interested in how the tracking mechanism works on your new KMG-TX grinder. I would like to see a few seconds of video if you could. Larry Lehman

Hankins, I would be very interested in how the tracking mechanism works on your new KMG-TX grinder. I would like to see a few seconds of video if you could. Larry Lehman

I haven't ran it in reverse that much, but from what I see, it tracks just fine with slight adjustment. So far I am very happy with the KMG-TX.

HSC I am curious as to why?
So the sparks and dust and water go away from me

I also feel likes there’s more “freedom” in movement for my style grinding

I use a top long platen

G0JKvHE.jpg

Be aware that many belts are directional, so also remember to flip the belt too if needed

My grinder is homemade and runs in reverse just as well as it runs forward, even at high speed. I experimented grinding lengthwise with the grinder running in reverse awhile back and gave up on it , may try again one day. I think Wilmont grinders had made an attachment to grind like this. Now the only time I run in reverse is when sharpening a knife.

Back