Russell or Camillus Barlow?

Before I replace the handles on this "Russell" Barlow I have a question of who actually made it? I have been told that all pre 1933 Russell Barlows have a straight tang stamp and the 1933-1941 Bralows have a curved stamp with an arrow through an R below it.

This knife is very old, steel bolsters, liners, hammered pins and sawed bone. You can see I already plunge drilled the pins.

Anyone have an idea who made it?

IMG_1109_zps9ee9ee8e.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1111_zps3ac20d8f.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1110_zpsf49942e1.jpg
[/IMG]

Gosh obviously I'll be watching for Charlie's answer to this one. It looks very old though, just by the font and stampings.

That's a beauty Mark, wow! Would love to see it when you're done.

Info I found when researching about my Russell Barlow:

From Knife Forums:

Russell went out of business in 1932, since then all Russell knifes are commemorative and reproductions.

The original John Russell company used a number of tang stamps over the years - but never any curved markings. These came later when John Russell & Co merged with John Harrington Cutlery Co (Southbridge, Mass) in 1933 - combining factories and becoming Russell-Harrington -- which I think is still around, though they dropped all their pocketknife lines in 1941 as WW II was getting started.

The curved Russell and USA on the tang is from 1933-1941. Other curved Russell stamps are from this same period also. The classic RUSSELL straightline stamp was dropped in 1933.

Historical context of the Russell Barlow knife: ( I think Jon Slider created this info )

1797 John Russell born in Greenfield
1873 John Russell Cutlery Company formed, headed by Richard N. Oakman, Jr.
1874 John Russell dies in Greenfield
1876 Russell Barlow prototype introduced, using the straight line tang stamp RUSSELL
1890 W. P. Dustin becomes head of Russell Cutlery Co.
1914 to 1918 ww 1
1920 Prohibition
1920 Womens right to vote
1929 begin great depression
1933 End of Prohibition
1933 Russell merges with Harrington, begins using the Curved Russell tang stamp with Arrow thru the R
1941 End great depression, Pearl Harbor, US enters World War 2
1941 Russell Harrington stops making the Russell Barlow.
1945 US drops atomic bombs on Japan, end of World War 2
1950s Russell Harrington repairs barlows for members of the Barlow Bearcats, using a tang stamp with diamonds on each side of the R, instead of an arrow
1968 Colonial builds a Commemorative Russel Barlow set for Dexter-Russel, tang stamp had diamonds on both sides of the R
1971 German replica Russells appear, curved tang stamp has arrow through the R, some have long pull blades
1974 Schrade issues a Russell commemorative with Delrin scales, same knife as the scrolled bolster Schrade 206

It appears there were two re-productions attempted by German cutleries - one most likely being Eye Brand.

There is more information on AAPK forums about Russell Barlows. ;)

Thanks Primble. I have been in touch with John all day and we have been going back and forth about the origins of this tang stamp.

>The curved Russell and USA on the tang is from 1933-1941. Other curved Russell stamps are from this same period also.<

Does this include the Barlow I have shown?

>1950s Russell Harrington repairs barlows for members of the Barlow Bearcats, using a tang stamp with diamonds on each side of the R, instead of an arrow<

Here is where the confusion comes in. These blades were stamped "SECOND" and the one I show has no stamp.....

Thanks for the compliment Jeff.

It will be a single blade and here's why

IMG_1115_zps9d05997a.jpg
[/IMG]

The pen blade tang is rounded off

Last edited:
Here is the whole knife taken apart.......it had to be made pre WWII IMHO

IMG_1112_zps699e918a.jpg
[/IMG]

I had a couple sites saved on Russell tang stamps and a couple more from AAPK on fake or reproductions but I must have deleted them. :grumpy:

No matter, I look forward to seeing this one finished.

Keep us posted.

Thanks Jeff. Osage Orange.

BTW I will be sending you a package tomorrow :thumbup:

And you know I am looking forward to it :D

Osage is going to look great on that one for sure, great choice! Cant wait to see that guy all shiny and new looking, well, until the new patina starts anyway :)

Worth rescuing Mark.
Jon is very good at researching. I certainly trust his info as printed above.
I know some later-era Russell Barlows have worn "fletches" on the Bolster Arrow because of wear at the stamping die. This one seems to fit that later time period. Nice project! I too look forward to seeing it unfold!

Always love watching you rescue old knives Mark...looking forward to this project as well:thumbup:

Ok, now I'm looking forward to what Jeff may be receiving;) Pointy, sharp, re done, refinished:confused:

A hint maybe? C'mon guy's, I'm terrible at waiting:D

I have no idea Paul. I am at the mercy of Mark! He is killing me with anticipation though :)

Here is the finished knife. Osage Orange Russell Single blade.

IMG_1159_zpsf56ca4ae.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1160_zps453b5633.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1161_zpsa7759b19.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1162_zps37606d17.jpg
[/IMG]

:thumbup:

color me impressed
excellent work!

wish i had that kind of skills and patience!

NICE work Bro, looks great.

Best regards

Robin

+1 - it will be interesting to see how much the color darkens over time - be sure and show us this one again Mark - down the road. :thumbup:;)

Back