Russian traditional folders?

43613d8a2e9f.jpg

0f5b22d9238b.jpg

bbd374c4dda4.jpg

I like this one. Can you tell me more about it?

I am interested in seeing more traditional folders from any time in the CCCP period.

There's not much to tell. The model is relatively new. Wide distribution has not yet received. AUS-8 steel. On the handle of the Caucasian walnut. The cost is about $ 7.The knife is not mine, I got it in passaround. I will buy such. Generally have a lot of knives of the USSR. If you don't mind, I'll tell you a little bit and show you.

Thank you Rostovsky. I'd also be very interested to see and hear more of the Russian and CCCP era knives in your collection.

The Kizlyar knives are quite popular here in Australia with hunters and outdoors people.

We have seen knives made in Gorky in this thread. Were there other areas or cities which were particularly associated with cutlery production? Was Tula also a cutlery producing city, in addition to its other industries?

Last edited:
Wow! Australia! Fantastic!Interestingly, in Kizlyar know about it?

Yes, Kizlyar have an office and knife showroom in Sydney. As well as their own knives, they also import and sell other European knives and outdoor gear.

Their knives are also said to be quite popular with Australian soldiers.

I vaguely remember seeing on here about Russian convicts being allowed to make knives for sale to the public.
I know it doesn't sound right but I'm pretty sure it was on here.--Does anyone else remember this?--KV

These are variants of the same knife, differing only in the pattern of overlays. The number of tools is the same. Produced at the plant Vorsma in the town of Gorky. They were very common. I've had a few of these. But one broke, the other lost, nothing left. I bought them now at flea markets.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember seeing on here about Russian convicts being allowed to make knives for sale to the public.
I know it doesn't sound right but I'm pretty sure it was on here.--Does anyone else remember this?--KV

I remember the same thread. I think it was in the Levine forum & Makandar participated.

In Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich the protagonist is stowing some scrap material at the end of the novel to make a knife from. Strictly 'forbidden' in the Gulag, but common and a useful tool and currency.

5f2077f7ffdc.jpg

bought a hunting knife in 1985 when I was in high school. A while wore it to school, then it is not forbidden if you do not advertise much. He went with me to summer school, field work, industrial practice at the Institute, military training, business trips. Then was abandoned in the tool kit in the garage, after many years, found again, given in a decent condition. And more recently, the flea market was able to buy the same almost new, with the same material lining, the same color. It was one of the most popular models.

Штопор погиб героической смертью в борьбе с алкоголем.

Characteristic feature. Almost all the knives of the Soviet era, there are figures that indicate the cost of the knife at retail. At a different price, it was impossible to sell knives or other goods. Planned economy. A little more expensive it was possible to sell goods in the far North, which were cut off from the mainland by the vast expanses of the tundra and taiga. There the goods were delivered either by air or using the nuclear icebreaker fleet. Often the cost of transportation exceeded the cost of the goods.

Last edited:
I have a Soviet knife and it too has the price. Small fixed blade with a acrylic handle and decorative pouch sheath. A friend brought it home to me from Uzbakistan. Very sharp, pretty and useful blade.

Back