• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Rusty Polk

I ordered a knife from Rusty Polk in January 2006. I asked Rusty how long the wait would be, he said from 6 to 8 weeks. I paid him a deposit of 100.00. and eventually I paid him another 390.00. It is now October 2006 and I have no knife. We have had many email exchanges and Rusty seems to be a good guy and I gave him a lot of extra time to make the knife, but he keeps telling me that is almost done and it never is. What really confused me however is when he told me the original knife was no good and now he has to make another.He never sent pics of the original knife mind you, so I dont know if it ever existed or not or if this is just a time buying excuse which I fear it might be. This has become too much of a hassle for me and I would just like 390.00 back. I figure to be fair I would to let him keep the deposit if he in fact did start the original knife or the new knife as he has claimed even though I have no evidence of this. Rusty does not respond to my emails now and I dont know what to do. Rusty seems like a really good guy but I would like my money back and dont know what action to take.

All the Best!

-Leo

Update:

Still no knife or money or communication. It looks like Im gonna have to eat this loss. I should of never paid before it was done and I normally dont but he seemed like such a good guy. Maybe he is, just going through hard times, but I dont know anymore.

Here's is contact info from their website.If you have already tried the e-mail and checked your spam folder for return messages,I would suggest the good old phone.If that doesn't work, and certified letter would be my next step.Good Luck!!

PolkKnives Clifton Polk or Rusty Polk
4625 Webber Creek Road
Van Buren Arkansas 72956
USA
Clifton @(479)474-3828 And Rusty @ (479) 410-3661
Clifton at Cliffpolkknives1@aol.com & Rusty at Polkknives@aol.com

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!. I think Ill have to send a certified letter. Ive emailed several times with no reply and I check my spam folder regularly. And Rusty has Aol and is on my buddy list. Every time I see him online I instant message him, and then he promptly signs off without responding.

I just saw and talked to him last weekend, at the Tulsa gun/knife show. He had at least 3 available knives on his table there. ???

Call him and get this straightened out. He's really a pretty nice guy.

I know he does seem like a good guy. We had good communication for a while. Ill have to try to give him a call.

Oh, and I see no reason why you should have to give up your deposit. Why would you?

Well, I would be upset if he was dodging my instant messages when you know he is on-line.I don't understand why makers do not keep their delivery dates and then ignore people just trying to get a truthful update on the order.This is becoming all to common place now,I won't even order a custom anymore,I don't need the drama.Hope it works out for you soon.

Oh, and I see no reason why you should have to give up your deposit. Why would you?

Well he did say he started the knife, mind you I have NO proof of this but Im gonna take him at his word unless I can prove otherwise. Also, all the time of his I took up with email exchanges and such. I figure It seemed fair or I could just be too nice for my own good. I really dont know.

Well, I would be upset if he was dodging my instant messages when you know he is on-line.I don't understand why makers do not keep their delivery dates and then ignore people just trying to get a truthful update on the order.This is becoming all to common place now,I won't even order a custom anymore,I don't need the drama.Hope it works out for you soon.

Yeah thats why I fear calling him might not do any good. The guy does not want to talk to me as far as I can tell.

Update:

Sent an email: No response
Called him: Got his answering machine, left a message, no response

I am very surprised to hear this. Rusty impressed me as a real good guy when I met him at SOS and also at Blade.

Question - what prompted the payment of the final $390? That usually happens when you get the "Knife is completed and ready to ship" e-mail. What gives?

I don't know why, but almost every tale of knife grief I hear starts with "I paid a deposit..."

Roger

PS I would abandon the e-mail and keep calling. I wouldn't be shy about calling late either.

For $490 total, I wouldn't be shy about calling at midnight.

The topic of this thread is becoming more common as of late. This is not good for custom knifemakers in general, because it tends to turn people away.

Question - what prompted the payment of the final $390? That usually happens when you get the "Knife is completed and ready to ship" e-mail. What gives?

This is a good question in retrospect. I personally should have known better.
At the time I had the cash on hand and he seemed like such a good honest fellow, plus when I paid my final payment the knife was alledgedly almost finished.

For $490 total, I wouldn't be shy about calling at midnight.

he seemed like such a good honest fellow

For $490 I'd be driving to Arkansas this weekend and camping in Rusty's front yard.

There is no reason to relinquish your deposit. The deposit is supposed to secure the deal. If the deal is broken, you're owed the $100 back.

There was no reason for you to have to pay the balance unless the knife was delivered.

Honesty is determined by actions, not by appearances.

I'd let Rusty know you're making this matter public on Bladeforums. That might change his tune.

Even if you get the email that says that the knife is done, send payment, that doesn't necessarily mean the knife has even been made.

Is Polk a member of this forum?
If so, then his lack of a response here is the answer.
He has no answer for Leo other than he F'ed up and he's afraid to admit it.

I don't know if he is a member, but in fairness, the priginal poster should let him know this is being discussed on a public forum (probably already has).

Roger

Is Polk a member of this forum?
If so, then his lack of a response here is the answer.
He has no answer for Leo other than he F'ed up and he's afraid to admit it.

I dont believe Rusty is a member of this forum. I cant say for sure. I sent an email to him regarding this thread though.

Back