Rusty Swamprat

What’s the best way to bring her back, gents?

WKhBVrY.jpg
GK4XefT.jpg

I'd probably just resharpen the edge and beat the rust off. Sand paper/grinder.

That thing looks like it was stored in Poseidon's salt watery bunghole.

Would like to hear the story how ended up like this. Probably worst neglect ever seen, on a Busse.

Vinegar, steel wool or sanding sponge, sharpen, use. Sand more for smoothness if needed. Sr101 rusts really easy but it doesn't pit easily, from my experience, so it's likely not too deep.

Looks fine to me. I would get light rust on my ratweiler if I worked in heavy due in the mornings but it would come right off and vinegar makes the rust a deep patina. However, I now have an infiweiler, so no more worries.

vFrbovAl.jpg

l2rd7Hwl.jpg

Shortly after I got it (bought lightly used and stripped).
Fk2a4OJl.jpg

Bikerector, I dig the patina on that Ratweiler. Definitely going to give the vinegar a try, perhaps along with a fine steel brush I have laying around here.

Wow that was bad!
I have that knife and am thinking about a mustard patina to protect it.
I did it to a smaller sr101 and it has lasted years.
You can find BF threads on the topic..

Edit* Took a pix, I used the Rat to chop the head off of last years Thanksgiving Turkey.
Patina is starting to form on it's own, but I want to see the temper line...

pdvYheT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, gents! This rust is simply from sitting in a drawer in Hawaii. Sorry, nothing exciting, just plain old neglect.

Wow, that's unreal. Guess if lived in HI would mostly have stainless knives if that kind of corrosion can happen from just sitting in a drawer.

Nice work cleaning it up tho.:thumbsup: Patina=character.

tR2Merq.jpg

Man, Hawaii is not joking arround with corrosion!!! I've swam with carbon steel knives and never had anything like that!!!!!

You might want to stick to INFI!!!

Haha, I think you may be right about me being better suited to INFI. It’s been years since I’ve had any TBH. I’ve been jonesing bad to try a leaner meaner as of late. Not even sure why, but that model really speaks to me as a good general purpose blade. Now I just need to find one for sale.
Man, Hawaii is not joking arround with corrosion!!! I've swam with carbon steel knives and never had anything like that!!!!!

You might want to stick to INFI!!!

Man. How do cars and trucks hold up there???? That’s crazy. Yes you should invest in some Infi

Bit of advice regarding storing anything that will rust/corrode in furniture or gun safes....

Formaldehyde is hidden in copious amount in these products, gun safes especially bad about this. Formaldehyde is extremely corrosive, almost all furniture is built with majority press board material with some type of veneer over it on the exterior for looks. Had this knife been sitting on top of said furniture, I suspect a drastically different outcome... humidity alone should not have this result IMO.

For future reference, actually the easiest way to fix this sort of stuff is to pack it up and ship it back to the shop. Then cover return shipping and wait for a (seemingly) brand new knife to arrive in place of the old one. This is not a joke...

Good to know, gents, but I happen to like the authentic patina look. I hate paint on a blade. Bussekin should lose the paint all together in my view.

Love the before/after here. :cool: SR-101 surface rusts readily, but I've never seen it pit. At this point, I'd finish the M9 off with a mustard (for a pattern) or vinegar (for an even look) forced patina, then you'll not have to worry about it again.

And maybe store it somewhere other than that drawer? Otherwise, find a small plastic storage container to put it in first if you still want to keep it in that drawer.

Back