RYP, crystal's comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
how would you compare Crystal's hot sauce to Louisiana or Texas Pete?

i have both Louisiana and Texas Pete, but can not get Crystal's locally.
i like hot sauce and enjoy trying new ones. i can handle VERY hot, to mild. i like flavor and would like to try Crystal's. i have tried up to 750,000 scoville units with no problems. i would like to buy some over 2 million at some point.
i also mix my own with chemical extracts that is around 750,000.

thanks for the input. if crystal's is where its at, i will order some to try over the ones i already have.

I am really liking the new Tabasco with Chipotle flavor.

Personally, I don't think there's much difference in the 3 you mentioned but I guess I'd pick Texas Pete if I had to choose one.

I bought some stuff from Belize that's molten lava but I can't think of the name of it. I also had some VERY hot stuff in Trinidad, too. They have a pepper in Trinidad that will make you forget your name.

That Trini hot pepper is the scotch bonnet. I have friends from Trinidad that bring me bottles of home made hot sauce. It has excellent flavor and heat.

we have a guy at work that can eat a Bhut Jolokia. i cut some up for chili and it was tolerable. the peppers we get are grown locally at an organic farm. they are not as hot as i expected. i have never cared much for tobasco but will try the chipolte. i prefer the louisiana style flavor.

hottest sauce we have tried is Z sauce. we have a place that specializes in hot sauce about 45 mins from here but i never have a reason to go over that way. i went over for a gunshow a few years back and could have added up the tables on my fingers ane toes.
just some little po-dunk hippie town in the middle of the hills.

It is pretty vinegary tasting, not very hot , but if you eat gobs of it , it will get there. they sell it here in Florida. Less hot than Texas Pete and pretty close to Louisiana. I cook with it on everything.

The best flavor from a hot sauce I have tasted to date is "Scorned Woman Hot Sauce".

The hottest I have tasted to date would be Dave's Insanity Sauce.

There is a place in St. Michaels, Maryland called Flamingo Flats that is a store that carries nothing but hot sauces. Literally 100's of brands and they will let you try before you buy or at least they did 10 years ago.

i have both Louisiana and Texas Pete, but can not get Crystal's locally.

son't know where you are, but you can order it online.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds...N&tab=wf&biw=1200&bih=557&fp=83f87efc6f926f13

BTW, it's just Crystal" not "Crystal's". not trying to be a grammar nazi, (because i'm not overly concerned with how you spell it as long as it's understandable) but sometimes searches get jacked up if things ain't spelled correctly.

i'm kinda tired of the "Louisiana style" stuff and have been using Cholula recently. they have original, chipotle, chili lime and chili garlic. i'm gonna need to pick up some of the other flavors!

The best flavor from a hot sauce I have tasted to date is "Scorned Woman Hot Sauce".

The hottest I have tasted to date would be Dave's Insanity Sauce.

There is a place in St. Michaels, Maryland called Flamingo Flats that is a store that carries nothing but hot sauces. Literally 100's of brands and they will let you try before you buy or at least they did 10 years ago.

we have a wing place that uses daves insanity on their hottest wings.
im not impressed. they could be a lot hotter. i do like the sauce though.

They may be just using some of it in their sauce. Also, Dave's Gourmet makes a variety of sauces. Ask them if you can try a wing with JUST Dave's Insanity, Total Insanity, Ghost Pepper or Ultimate Insanity sauce on it.

http://store.davesgourmet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DAIN

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your actions based upon that suggestion. Your forthcoming gastrointestinal discomfort and distress is of your own choosing.

P.S. I am not brave enough to try any of the Blair sauces.

Last edited:
Heat factor aside, I'm partial to Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce and Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
flavor-wise. I like Crystal just fine and would probably buy it over Tabasco if I were forced to decide but I really like so many different sauces that I can't say I'm a fanboy of just one. If I had to pick a good, multi-use it would be the Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce

so, who's gonna strip the coating off their HEST and force a patina on it with Crystal?

Here is a link for Flamingo Flats... looks like it is still around. :thumbup:
http://flamingoflats.com/
It looks like a neat little shop. :)

Most of the habanero sauces I've tried are dirty tasting. El Yucatan Green is not bad but not very good tasting. Someone I worked with got me some habanero sauce that is pretty good, but the bottle is at work and I don't remember the name.

I've tried Dave's insanity sauce and I would never consider it to taste good.

Now, I ordered some Ghost Pepper Sauce from HERE and it is good tasting and very hot. Hotter than any habanero sauce I've tried and probably better tasting than any habanero sauce I've tried. It took me a while to get used to it.

i'm kinda tired of the "Louisiana style" stuff and have been using Cholula recently. they have original, chipotle, chili lime and chili garlic. i'm gonna need to pick up some of the other flavors!

i love cholula. out of all of them original is my favorite. my dad also makes a mean hot sauce with home grown chilis, and that will put hairs on your chest.

I am from New Orleans and grew up on Tabasco. I do like more spice than most people here in SC. However hot sauce is not just about adding heat to food. I like the flavor of the hot sauces more than just adding the hotness. My 2 favorites are Tabasco and Louisiana hot sauce. I really like the flavor of Tabasco with beans, more specifically red beans and rice. Louisiana is great on pizza or on grilled or fried/grilled chicken wings. Drench the wings in Louisiana hot sauce, man, I am like Homer Simpson drooling making the mmmm sound thinking about it. I am going to eat some tomorrow. One thing I like about Tabasco and LA is that they dont use any thing else but vinegar, peppers and salt. No fake stuff.

I would like to see skins eat some insanity wings from foghorns. I bet your big ass will be crying like a baby.

I would like to see skins eat some insanity wings from foghorns. I bet your big ass will be crying like a baby.

put your money where your mouth is!!! and just so you know the beyond insanity are the hottest. i get the chemical extracts from him for some stuff i mix up to make chili for the guys at work. we have all went and ate the insanity wings at foghorns. they are hot but im looking for flavor and heat that is from peppers. his are chemical extracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back