Ryuichi Kawamura Knives

The way that stag goes into the bolster, speaks volumes of excellence. Choice.

Beautiful knife, Elliot! What a show! And it looks like you brought the popcorn. ;) Gorgeous popcorn stag -- as is typical of Ryu.

Coincidentally, I'm on Ryu's list for his cattle knife pattern. I like your choice of the small clip blade instead of the pen.

Thanks, fellas. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. :cool:

As much as I like Gus', this one screams perfection to me. For some reason that secondary blade starts me drooling big time.

This could be my perfect knife

attachment.php

That looks like a gem, Elliott. I really admire Ryu's work. I don't know where he finds his stag, but it's always a knockout.

Last edited:
That looks like gem, Elliott. I really admire Ryu's work. I don't know where he finds his stag, but it's always a knockout.

I dunno, Gary...I'm starting to think that they're breeding hybrids that they keep secret from the rest of the world just for their sheds. :p

Thanks, fellas. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. :cool:

... Wow. I can see why.

Interesting, your take on the small clip. This past week, I was finishing up my first Ball and Cage and trying to get a feel for what knives and blades I found best suited to the actual task, when I realized for maybe the first time(?) that the small blade on my oldest (bought-new-by-me) knife, my SAK Small Tinker, is actually a clip blade and not (as I'd have guessed, without it in hand) a pen. I found the small clip blade suddenly useful, leading me to ponder whether there were other production knives/patterns made with small clips.

Neither my SAK or musings are of the caliber which produced the above knife, in commission and design, but I find the coincidence fun in light of how recently (and actively) I've been pondering small clip blades on multi-bladed knives.

You certainly have a beauty headed your way.

~ P.

Congrats on a what looks like a wonderful addition to your collection Elliott. Looking through this thread again has been a treat.

Wow oh wow that stag...and the pearl too, holy cow! Beautiful knives gentlemen, just fantastic...

Appreciate the good words...hopefully Ryu will read the thread this weekend.

The weather may not cooperate next week (lots of rain around) but I'll try to post images after it arrives from its long journey.

Some extraordinary knives shown on this thread, great to see.. Ryu clearly knows how to produce 'traditional' knives, his work looks very clean and crisp..top quality.

Ryu's building method, sitting the blade spines lower than the springs (under-blading), could be said to be in the 'Sheffield style', over here in England the vast majority of the better/best knives were made that way...in fact Stan Shaw still makes all his knives using that method.

Mick

My understanding that the theory was, to make the spine "self cleaning". The action of opening clears any pocket crud out of the mechanism, by pusing it up and out past the "lip".

Ryu's knife just arrived here a little while ago and I had a chance to take these images in between rain showers.

The knife comes in at just a hair over 3 5/8" and weighs 3 oz. even.

The action on all three blades (including half stops) is superb and the grinds are very clean. (If I had to find a negative I'd say that Ryu, like many other top makers, could sharpen up his edges more but that's just quibbling). Anyone handling this knife would clearly understand why Ryu is considered one of the top slipjoint makers in the world.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

(I caught a reflection on the right side of this image which does not appear when looking at the knife in the real world. The dust motes are mine as well.)

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Elliot,

Those pictures are excellent IMO. That is a great looking knife to my eyes.

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Kevin

Very, very nice Elliot. Stunning. I like the way the shield appears to float on the cover in your first picture -- really sets the knife off. The yellowish hue of the stag sets off the popcorn nicely as well.

Holy cow...look at the impressive popcorn stag on that handsome specimen of a knife. :thumbup:

That's a nice looking piece, Elliott. Again the stag is a knockout.

Back