Ryuichi Kawamura Knives

Jake,

Excellent pick up. I am glad you got to it before I did. ;).

Chuku, you've got great taste! :)

This one is on the way. Can't wait until my name comes up on Ryu's list for the cattle knife.

Swell-center Wharncliffe Whittler

3 blade slip joint folder
Blade material : ATS-34
Handle material : Stainless steel / old jigged bone
Blade length : main blade 2 3/8" (60mm)
sub blade 1 7/16" (37mm)
Closed length : 3 3/8" (85mm)
handle : flat bevelled edge

That's a beauty, Jake! I really like that pattern. It's reminiscient of the Case/Bose Norfolk, one of my favorites.

Any knife by Ryu is a treasure. You'll be whittlin' in style for sure!

Jake,

That knife is amazing! Not just because I'm a fool for split spring whittlers either. Congrats!

Kevin

Thank you. So far all three out of my four customs have split backsprings. My next two (I think!) will be two spring and one spring.

Nice one Jake. I really like that pattern. He nailed
it. Congrats buddy.

Jason

This thread had really opened my eyes to another great maker. Super nice one Jake.

Congrats on your new whittler! She's another beauty in a procession of them in this thread and I'd love to own even just one of them.

Thank you, guys. The whittler arrived today. Here's a scan of the whittler reunited with its sibling (also a split back whittler).

img051.jpg

img049.jpg

I like using a scanner since it shows more detail and I think it is a compliment to a maker if the knife is shown with the greatest detail. But my scanner is falling apart. Literally (I dropped it). And it's difficult to show the true color in a scan ...and the curves on the knife make it difficult to focus on the well or the springs ...so here are a few photos.

ryu-1.jpg

IMG_7577.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

IMG_7576.jpg

Congrats, Jake. Another fine addition to the family.

That is an amazing creation. Congrats!

Jake,

Really a nice knife with great detail. As a maker I know how hard it is to make these whittlers. To keep the flats flat on the bolsters, the rounding of the scales, the fit of the blades, all takes a cutler that really knows his way around a slipjoint.

Congrats to you and Mr. Kawamura.

Beautiful stuff! Im a fan of blade spine jimping. I get a lot of heat for that too.

Wow, great looking knives! He sure does use some great stag, and his bone jigging is fantastic. Well, everything about his knives is fantastic.

Back