S!K fastener compatability question - new gen vs old/current gen

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
I know we've talked about fastener swaps a little bit, but tried searching and couldn't find it. I used the current model 4.1 on a couple critters this weekend, and ended up with quite a bit of stuff to clean out of the slotted fasteners. Anybody know if any of the new fasteners from any model will swap into the current 4.1? I'm pretty sure those new torx-drive heads aren't going to pick up as much byproduct and hold it.

Oh, and I should say, the 4.1 is just a pretty dandy outdoor package :thumbup: (I'm sure most guys here have that figured out already :) ).

Not an answer to your question, per-se, but I've found that with the slotted fasteners on my alpha, the easiest way to clean it out is to blast water into it to drive out any gunk, and then hit it with compressed air to drive out the water.

I'm not sure torx fasteners are going to be any better at keeping gunk at bay — torx and allen head fasteners sure seem to hold onto crud rather well on my bicycles, and I'm constantly cleaning the heads out. Reckon it's just an inevitable reality with socket-head fasteners.

Here's a trick, though: on my winter commuter bicycle, I've experimented with filling the most prone fastener heads with beeswax. Just melt a few drips from a beeswax candle into the heads. Stays put reasonably well, keeps crud out, and it's easy to dig out the wax with your tools if you ever need to remove the fastener. Prevents corrosion too :)

The new spec hardware for a 5.1 will replace the edc4 hardware without any mods and they fit the recess perfect.
If you grind down the middle post on the 5.1 new spec hardware a bit they will work on the 1st gen 5/6 and 7/7 But they are not as recessed into the grips as on the new gen, still work well though. Wish I had more hardware to see what else fits what but extra 5.1 is all I have-

Not an answer to your question, per-se, but I've found that with the slotted fasteners on my alpha, the easiest way to clean it out is to blast water into it to drive out any gunk, and then hit it with compressed air to drive out the water.

I'm not sure torx fasteners are going to be any better at keeping gunk at bay — torx and allen head fasteners sure seem to hold onto crud rather well on my bicycles, and I'm constantly cleaning the heads out. Reckon it's just an inevitable reality with socket-head fasteners.

Here's a trick, though: on my winter commuter bicycle, I've experimented with filling the most prone fastener heads with beeswax. Just melt a few drips from a beeswax candle into the heads. Stays put reasonably well, keeps crud out, and it's easy to dig out the wax with your tools if you ever need to remove the fastener. Prevents corrosion too :)

I've contemplated doing something like in your bolded section (thanks for that BTW :thumbup: ). If something doesn't work out, I may fix these scales permanently to the 4.1 with solid fasteners and shape them flush. The fit/finish is not quite as tight as the new models, so that would give me an excuse to do a little extra hand shaping/fitting.

Here's a pic-
PICT1139_zpsnvobuxvt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That picture is messing with my mind. What model is that Psybull, and which fasteners did you have to use to get that done?

Edit: Whoops, posting at the same time, missed this the first time:

The new spec hardware for a 5.1 will replace the edc4 hardware without any mods and they fit the recess perfect.
If you grind down the middle post on the 5.1 new spec hardware a bit they will work on the 1st gen 5/6 and 7/7 But they are not as recessed into the grips as on the new gen, still work well though. Wish I had more hardware to see what else fits what but extra 5.1 is all I have-

Last edited:
Both used new spec 5.1 hardware- nothing required for the bottom edc4 and the 1st gen 5.1 required the middle post to be ground down a little.

I've contemplated doing something like in your bolded section (thanks for that BTW :thumbup: ). If something doesn't work out, I may fix these scales permanently to the 4.1 with solid fasteners and shape them flush. The fit/finish is not quite as tight as the new models, so that would give me an excuse to do a little extra hand shaping/fitting.

Nice :) Could definitely make that knife your own by epoxying the scales and going to a solid brass fastener like a corby bolt!

Back on the wax idea: another addition to the cool trick that I've used on bikes is to drop a ball bearing into the head before filling with wax. Makes it hard to get a tool into the socket without digging it out with something sharp, or melting it out with a lighter. Works as a sort of reversible security-head bolt to discourage opportunistic theft (eg. to make it a bit less convenient for a bicycle seat to go walkabout in the hands of a thief). Probably doesn't have much application in knives, but figured I'd mention it anyways in case you find some use for it in other spheres of life :)

Both used new spec 5.1 hardware- nothing required for the bottom edc4 and the 1st gen 5.1 required the middle post to be ground down a little.

Perfect! Thank you so much for that! In my excitement over the edc4, I missed that the top blade was an old spec 5.1, ha :) They both look great, looks like I'm off to the site for some new spec 5.1 hardware. A lot of knowledge in this forum :thumbup:

Nice :) Could definitely make that knife your own by epoxying the scales and going to a solid brass fastener like a corby bolt!

Hopefully I don't have trouble with the new fasteners (mine is a older spec gso 4.1 with the small lanyard opening, not an edc4 like psybull's) but if I do, corbys are probably next in line.

ETA: Crap, the site is sold out of 5.1 fasteners.

Last edited:
ETA: Crap, the site is sold out of 5.1 fasteners.

This site isn't the most helpful with keeping track of inventory so I always list quite a bit less than what we actually have, to be safe. Jordyn fielded an email about that earlier so those are back in stock as of a few hours ago. Many apologies.

But they are not as recessed into the grips as on the new gen, still work well though.

We haven't really taken the time to check sizing for the new spec fasteners on old spec handles. However, Guy did take the time to sort out the recessing issue. The old fasteners were 82 deg countersink and weren't as thick. The new torx fasteners are 90 deg countersink so you could adjust the old spec handles with a 90 degree spotting drill, 5/16ths in diameter. Just remember that you can't add material once you've taken it away so go gently.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI2qkUbBzFl/?taken-by=guyseiferd

This site isn't the most helpful with keeping track of inventory so I always list quite a bit less than what we actually have, to be safe. Jordyn fielded an email about that earlier so those are back in stock as of a few hours ago. Many apologies.

That was me. Thank you Ellie and thank you Jordyn. Order incoming.

We haven't really taken the time to check sizing for the new spec fasteners on old spec handles. However, Guy did take the time to sort out the recessing issue. The old fasteners were 82 deg countersink and weren't as thick. The new torx fasteners are 90 deg countersink so you could adjust the old spec handles with a 90 degree spotting drill, 5/16ths in diameter. Just remember that you can't add material once you've taken it away so go gently.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI2qkUbBzFl/?taken-by=guyseiferd

Very good info, I can work with that. Thank you!

Good thread HK!
Have been waiting for those fasteners to be in stock for months in tumbled and the info on the countersink is gold.

Good thread HK!
Have been waiting for those fasteners to be in stock for months in tumbled and the info on the countersink is gold.

I got a couple sets ordered. I want to get that 4.1 done and then look the 3.5 and 10 over to see what the fit-up is like. Now to find a 5/16 90 deg spotting drill :)

Got a few sets in and did an old style 5.1 another edc4 and a 3.5.
Had to do a bit of grinding to get the front post on the 3.5 small enough and again the middle post for the old 5.1.
PICT1155_zpsvmhavu7y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sweet! I just got in off route, I need to check the mail....hopefully mine are here.

I really like the profile of those edc 4's!!

I found a spotting bit. Did you do any drilling or just shorten the posts? They look great bud.

I just shortened the posts. Without the countersink there is not as much thread engagement as the old hardware but it still works fine.

I didn't get the fasteners in today. I'm glad to see they worked on your 3.5 especially. Hopefully tomorrow.

I just shortened the posts. Without the countersink there is not as much thread engagement as the old hardware but it still works fine.

I got my old spec 4.1 done. Same as you describe for the edc 4, a little grinding on the center post, and then just fit it up. I put some loctite on the screws and when they snugged up, everything went in nice and flush without the need to do any extra drilling.

Glad it worked out for you HK-
I take my scales on and off fairly often so there is no beating the torx head screws for that and not marring up the old style screw slots.

Back