S&W Model 629 PC 2 5/8

That is a special model made for people who jerk their trigger pull. You’re right handed right?

Wait are you serious? Lol — sorry can’t tell I’m about to walk into a joke. If you’re serious — yes I am right handed

Email s&w with a picture and have them send you a pre paid return label to have the sights fixed.
That is not aaceptable and they need to fix it.

Email s&w with a picture and have them send you a pre paid return label to have the sights fixed.
That is not aaceptable and they need to fix it.

I think you’re right — the more I think about it, the more I realize I shouldn’t be settling. However, as others have mentioned — if I just send it back, they may fix the front sight and send it back without making sure other more serious potential issues are examined. Would it make more sense to first tinker with it at the range?

Good luck Rob. Maybe you could just get your money back?
If so, look for a used one from the 70's or early 80's
My dad gave me his service revolver he retired with.
A model 19-3 (1977) and shes just absolutely wonderful. Shes a 2.5" .38/.357
Just some food for thought.

Personally, I would shoot it to confirm. You should be able to tell with the very first shot. If it hits to point of aim like that I would box it up and send it back. If it shoots far left I would chalk it up to the sight being moved due to rough package handling while in transit, and then sight it in myself. No way I'd want to wait weeks or months for someone to do sonething as simple as drifting a sight over.

Rob_Mob Rob_Mob , out of curiosity, is the rear sight blade fairly well centered up or is all the way to one side? And, can you shove that front sight over with stout thumb pressure?

That is a special model made for people who jerk their trigger pull. You’re right handed right?
.....and if you have not already developed a flinch, this revolver should help you on the way.

I have mixed feelings on this, I would probably just drift it back dead centre by eye and shoot it. I also agree it should not have been delivered inthat way.

My deeper concern would be that the dovetail for the front sight has been cut ever so slightly over-size (or the actual front sight is ever so slightly under-sized) as in reality it should take some effort to move that sight that far over. It should not be able to be moved around "in transit", if it is so able then sooner or later it is going to drift around in use.

My last 44 was a 6.5 29-2. What a sweet old thing it was as well.

Have you shot it yet?

It could have been banged to the side like that after production. I'd say you need to shoot it to see if it's off.

They had a problem in the past with barrels being over torqued and installed in with a slight cant to them. You can usually follow the top line of the barrel and eyeball it to the frame to see if that's the case. I thought they had that issue fixed though. I had it happen on a TRR8, very frustrating. If they adjusted the sight like that to compensate for an over torqued barrel it is deplorable and needs to go back.

For the record, the Performance Center does not really do any tuning. They offer churched up models with more milling and features plus drop in performance parts. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, I have a lot of PC pistols in my safe. But they are prone to the same QC issues that come out of any production line.

If you get this fixed and decide to keep it you may want to get the upgraded firing pin from Cylinder and Slide. It's a fraction longer and makes for more reliable ignition. For some reason S&W has been using firing pins on the short side in their pistols and it really only shows up as an issue occasionally in the pistols with lighter triggers. It's about an $18 part IIRC and worth the added peace of mind.

Good luck man, beautiful piece.

Chad is right, the PC has had a QA/QC problem over the past few years. I suspect that they are pushing them out with less QA/QC as many people never shoot them and it would help them make more money. Shoot it, get a list of problems. Barrel off center, sights off center, off center hammer strikes, crappy trigger, does not group worth a S@#t, and then call them for a RMA number. Some times it takes two or three trips through the mill before they get the idea that someone is going to look over the work. Don't be afraid to push the issues with them. I have seen or heard them replace barrels, sights, cylinders, triggers, and replace damn near everything except the serial number.

Nice gun, good luck and let us know what happens.

JFL

2B9DB437-96CA-4B4C-98F9-7761F2461E98.jpeg 72122E0D-784A-4EE4-97EB-E46CD2764CAE.jpeg Guys — I can’t believe I didn’t notice this sooner. I think this may be normal and the way it’s “supposed” to be. Look at the pictures — there’s no way the front sight could be centered even if they wanted to. One side of the front side mount is longer than the other

Looking top down, does the centre of the sight blade align with the centre line of the bore ? forget all the machining and fluff it is the bore that matters. if so then (frankly mate) WTF are they thinking, if not there may be an issue.

Like this...

...this is NOT accurate as the pic is not taken quite TDC from above but you want that sight to (initially at least) align with the centre line of the bore.

wow I know there was a period S&W had some issues with canted barrels but this is next level ...

even if I took it out shot it and hit everything I aimed at ... there is NO WAY IN HELL that I would settle for that setup ...

I agree best contact them with pictures and state your dissatisfaction and return it directly without firing it ... that is totally unacceptable in my book ... especially for the cost of that particular gun and it being a PC gun ...

I hope they replace it imediately but at least fix it to your satisfaction.

Looking top down, does the centre of the sight blade align with the centre line of the bore ? forget all the machining and fluff it is the bore that matters. if so then (frankly mate) WTF are they thinking, if not there may be an issue.

Like this...

...this is NOT accurate as the pic is not taken quite TDC from above but you want that sight to (initially at least) align with the centre line of the bore.

Helpful illustrations Andy and I definitely appreciate it mate.

From what I can tell, the center line of the bore DOES NOT line up with the center blade of the front sight. However, that’s the strange part — I don’t see how it possibly could given this setup. One side of the front side mount is distinctly longer than the other. So it would be impossible to have the center of the front sight blade line up with the center of the bore, unless my brain and my eyes have betrayed me.

What is it that you call "the front sight mount" ? Referring to the dovetail base of the front sight or ??

The base could have three feet extra out one side but you should still be able to drift it far enough that the centre of the ramp is aligned with the centre-line of the bore. Looking at the pic above it does not look too far different, have you measured the protrusion of the dovetail base each side relevant to the centre-line of the sight ramp ?

It really looks like it just needs drifting to the left so as that centre of the front (orange) ramp is aligned with the green vertical line.. the base looks like it will be about right as well. But these are from pics so the perspective may be well off....

Back