S&W Model 629 PC 2 5/8

Well hopefully Rob will get this figured out and his pistol squared away soon.
And yes, thanks Andy for putting together the drawings..

A1AC074D-A4C2-42AD-B052-BF6CEA30E4DE.jpeg

I only take the time as I could not see or understand it either. I intend to take to Rob's hand with a ball peen hammer for not taking a pic that shows it easily ;) ;) Essentially Yellow should be the same length as Green , it's not and the overhang prevents the sight being drifted any further than in this pic.

S&W QC is not what it used to be. I purchased a model 66, early 2018. I had to order it from a local dealer. First one was delivered with a loose barrel. I noticed it when I first handled it at the gun shop. The distributor didn’t want to handle it and told the salesman that I should sent it in under warranty. I had not even paid for it... it had not even left the store. I should mention that I’m in Canada.

The salesman got into an argument with the distributor and demanded another gun. The second one came with the front sight off center. The barrel had been too tightened. It wasn’t aligned with the frame.... third was the charm. Very dissapointed with S&W. I really wanted the model 66, it’s a nostalgia thing. As it turns out , I shoot my Ruger Blackhawk more often.

Return the bloody thing. Make them do it right. Beauty, by the way. I still love my 66....

Last edited:
I took it the shop that I picked it up from and they all agreed that Smith & Wesson needed to see exactly what nonsense they allowed out without them attributing something to me.
.... and to quote Rob ;) had it been (as we all initially thought) a simple case of "drift that biatch over", it would have been corrected at the store and not needing a trip to S&W to show the issue.... :D ;)

Sorry Andy, I’m still not seeing it. Even with your excellent illustrations. Thank you, btw. Sorry I still can’t see it. I understand what you’re saying; I just interpreted the photo completely differently.

I went back yet again to the in-illustrated first photo, and blew it up to full size on the website, then zoomed in on the base and dovetail even more. It looks like at the rear of the sight base, you can actually see the base of the dovetail cut, and it appears to me to line up fine with the sight base’s bottom flair. It actually looks like there is even a little space between the sight base and the extreme acute angle at the bottom of the dovetail cut. If there is anything that is preventing the sight base from drifting further left, it looks like it could only be a burr or something small. Not a step in the sight’s base.

Hopefully we will get a posting of the final outcome.

I'm still curious how the scuff marks under the lug got there too
Yes, at first I thought it was a reflection, but as the finish is satin it has to be a surface blemish. I would send it back to have the imperfection repaired along with any other issues.

My friends! Andy is right — I can’t see how this could be drifted. Everyone who’s seen this and handled it is perplexed as to how the hell this made it out.

The strange thing is that S&W QC Supervisors and Customer Service Supervisors got involved and promised a quick solution. It’s been 6 weeks and now they’ve gone dark. Apparently, they know about my firearm, but “aren’t prepared to provide a explanation yet”. What the heck does that mean???

Again, this isn’t my first revolver and I’m hoping a quality explanation is provided — along with a proper fix. I’ll keep you guys posted — all I know is that this is a weird case. The guys at the shop I bought it from thought so too.

Roger. I’ll just push the “I believe” button and shut up.

Didn’t mean to sound like I was calling your competency into question. I just couldn’t see (and still can’t) the problem in the photos provided. Good luck with it. Obviously something was/is way messed up.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the darkness. I sent a revolver back to Ruger to get some rust on case coloring fixed. It took a while, but they got it back to me. And no comms during the evolution.

Sorry for your troubles, Rob, and thanks for the update. Hopefully you will get a satisfactory resolution sooner rather than later.

Thanks, Andy, for having the patience and taking the time to try to make thick-headed folks like myself understand what is obvious to you guys.

Thank goodness for “the hole,” it keeps me away from the new Smiths.

Roger. I’ll just push the “I believe” button and shut up.

Didn’t mean to sound like I was calling your competency into question. I just couldn’t see (and still can’t) the problem in the photos provided. Good luck with it. Obviously something was/is way messed up.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the darkness. I sent a revolver back to Ruger to get some rust on case coloring fixed. It took a while, but they got it back to me. And no comms during the evolution.

Oh no brothEr — who knows, you may still be right. I’ll keep you all posted. No offense taken — I appreciate raw and unfiltered thoughts :)

470191E4-755C-4553-BDDB-15AA88563D79.jpeg 34D06316-F2DA-4638-96E6-0334DF60FA06.jpeg Finally gentleman I have this matter resolved. S&W were not able to give me a straight answer as to how their sight could have been setup the way it was on my firearm. They got me a new sight and this time properly set it up. They’re also sending me some free apparel merchandise, which I’m certainly appreciative of.

Just glad I’ve got my revolver back looking great, feeling great, and hopefully shooting great when I test it at the range. Thanks guys for all your feedback and support. You’re all awesome — but you all knew that already. Cheers!

-Rob Abyane

I'm glad to see you have the front sight in the proper orientation. Now to sling some lead through that beauty...

Rob,

I'm glad S&W came through to your satisfaction! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Some companies forget that without happy customers, their business will fail.

Gene

Back