S110V Works In Progress

Before heat treat I will leave the edges thick at around .030"-.035". This helps with warp in the heat treat. Finished blades generally get ground down to around .010"-.012" before sharpening. The S110V chef I just finished was ground to .004" before sharpening.

fishface5, it definitely is. However, it is off to a new home tomorrow.
Gonna have to finish the other one now. I really liked playing with the S110V.
The performance really makes up for the manufacturing difficulties.

I have a very bad habit of not wearing them all the time.
I will wear them when rough grinding with fresh belts, but will openly admit I do not wear them as much as I should.
Bad habit for the kids to learn, I know.

I got back to work on the last Cooks Knife that went with this batch. After the quench and tempering I was disappointed that this knife was not dead straight as the rest were. I broke down and shimmed it up and straightened her out. Took several tries, but nothing ever goes completely smooth. I will be finishing it up over the next few weeks.
I also took the S110V Jack knife with Quilted maple and modified the blade. It was close to 1.55" wide at the plunge. That width is not comfortable or pleasing for me to use in the field so I narrowed the blade a bit to right at 1.3" wide. I then reground it with the same geometry as my kitchen knives, very slight convex. I have not used it much yet, but it looks a lot more maneuverable already. Then I used some of my new Nomad Kryptek Kydex to sheath it. First time I have used kydex with wood. I hope to get some pictures later today and share the "new" package with you.

The final one from this batch is the cooks knife and I am in the process of finishing it up.
I finally have it straight and have the flats horizontally sanded. I am going to finish grind this blade and then apply a satin hand sanded finish.
Can anyone say brutal punishment on oneself. Not sure why but that just seems to be what this knife wants done to itself.
Pics will come after finish grinding before the hard work begins.

Hi Chris! I've been using a Spyderco Mule Team S110V in the kitchen and I find that it is somewhat subject to impact damage from cutting carrots onto a polyethylene cutting board.
Online discussion has ensued and the claim has been made that a properly manufactured knife in S110V should be able to handle routine impacts from cutting hard vegetables on a cutting board, even with a very thinly ground blade (0.005" behind the edge). My S110V mule is probably no thinner than 0.015" behind the edge and I don't consider that to be very thin for kitchen use.
What has your experience been like with S110V in kitchen use? Thanks!

I have one of my S110V chef knives finish ground to about .005" behind the edge and use it regularly in the kitchen.
I use my knives primarily on plastic boards just to be harder on the edges than a wood board. The knife is almost 2.2" tall and full height ground.
It is very efficient at cutting anything the edge touches, and I have not sharpened or stropped it since it was first put to use several weeks ago.
I am not sure what heat treat Spyderco put into their 110V Mule, but I am pretty sure mine is around 63 (I will know for sure soon as I have a hardness tester on route).
You may want to try a good sharpening. There could be some damaged steel at the very apex that is giving you troubles.

That is an interesting point Chris. The S110V mule is one of the Taiwan sourced knives and the finishing on those knives has been so good that I didn't need to reshape it at all. On most of the Golden mules I've had to even up the bevels and fix the plunge lines, so most of the mules I'm comparing the S110V to have had some hand finishing with coarse abrasives. I'll take some steel off the edge and put it back into the kitchen knife block and see how it does. Thanks!

Chris. I recently acquired a bar of the S110V from AKS. I have some plans for it, but am having difficulty cutting blanks on my Portaband. Do you have any recommendations on stock reduction for blanks?

Great looking blades BTW! That chefs knife is killer.

Chris. I recently acquired a bar of the S110V from AKS. I have some plans for it, but am having difficulty cutting blanks on my Portaband. Do you have any recommendations on stock reduction for blanks?

Great looking blades BTW! That chefs knife is killer.

I had similar issues.
Use good Bi-Metal blades and feed with enough pressure to keep cutting but not chip teeth. Try not to let the blade dwell in one spot because the creates just enough heat to let the steel work harden, and that is when you have issues cutting.

I am not sure what heat treat Spyderco put into their 110V Mule, but I am pretty sure mine is around 63 (I will know for sure soon as I have a hardness tester on route).
You may want to try a good sharpening. There could be some damaged steel at the very apex that is giving you troubles.
Chris, this is exactly why I joined a knife forum: to get good advice (and of course excellent knives!)
I took a few passes on a DMT coarse with that S110V knife and then returned it to the previous level of sharpness and that seems to have resolved the edge holding problem. Thanks!

Fancier, I am glad that it worked out for you.

I'm all about these s110v and s90v knives, Chris. If you do another s110v batch I'm pretty sure I'll jump on one!!!!

I will be doing a few knives in S110V late this year hopefully.

Chris. I am purchasing a spyderco 110v mule from a guy and it's never been out of its box and I was wondering if you would put handles on it for me and regrind the blade and possibly shorten the handle a bit with pry point sticking out the back of the handle(maybe or not, that's up to you) and make a kydex sheath that will be mini tek-lok compatible. I'd like it to be a three finger handle like a neck knife. Small enough that when I put it sideways on my belt it is concealed under a t-shirt. Are you interested? Oh and if you take regrinds to shot show to display what you can do with other companies knives ( I don't know if can or do) you are more than welcome to take this one if you accept the job. If you would take the job for just handles or have better suggestions for it just let me know. I trust your judgement. Thanks

Back