s30v or K390?

I'm mulling over a Delica 4 purchase, and I have to pick a steel. I've narrowed it down to K390 or s30v. I already have two knives in K390, so I thought I would give s30v a whirl.

Your thoughts?

They are both great, and they couldn't be more "different".

S30V is pretty darned stainless, pretty darned edge-holdie, and pretty chippie if abused, and will make you work a bit to sharpen.

K390 will "stain" if looked at too hard (but it really is a nice patina that protects pretty well), holds an edge FOREVAHHH, tough edge too that will accept SOME stupidity, and can be sharpened with a stern glare.

So..., try S30V since you have the K390 already, but USE THEM BOTH.

Step off the trail into lc200n... then you can bring it in the pool with you too.

Btw... if it's still available there's a exclusive with hap 40 and pakkawood Delica that is a great steel imo.

Last edited:
Unless you really like the color of the handles the S30V one comes with (seems to be either pink or green zome, from what google image search tells me), I'd look for something better than S30V. M390, CPM 20CV, or CTS-204p, for example. While there's nothing really "wrong" with S30V, it's just kinda underwhelming at this point, and I'd wager that compared to your other K390 knives, it'll definitely feel underwhelming. One argument for yet another K390 knife is that the Delica will be thinner than your other knives (unless you have a K390 Ladybug) and thus should out-slice other K390 Spydercos like the Endura, Police, Paramilitaries, Stretch, etc.

Unless you really like the color of the handles the S30V one comes with (seems to be either pink or green zome, from what google image search tells me), I'd look for something better than S30V. M390, CPM 20CV, or CTS-204p, for example. While there's nothing really "wrong" with S30V, it's just kinda underwhelming at this point, and I'd wager that compared to your other K390 knives, it'll definitely feel underwhelming. One argument for yet another K390 knife is that the Delica will be thinner than your other knives (unless you have a K390 Ladybug) and thus should out-slice other K390 Spydercos like the Endura, Police, Paramilitaries, Stretch, etc.
I agree those steels are awesome! S30v is definitely not a bad steel, nor is vg10
I actually find myself reaching for the vg10 as it holds a good edge and when I need a touch up to scary sharp vg10 is easier when field sharpening

It easy for me to find the Delica in VG-10, K390 and s30v. But I don't know if I have seen it anywhere in M390, CPM 20CV or CTS-204p.

It easy for me to find the Delica in VG-10, K390 and s30v. But I don't know if I have seen it anywhere in M390, CPM 20CV or CTS-204p.

The M390, 20CV, and 204p were sprint runs exclusive to 3 different dealers. I think the M390 might still be available (I can't mention their name as they're not a supporting dealer, but you can find them easily enough), , the 20CV is DLT (black blade, red zome) and the 204p was with knifeworks (foliage green). I think the 204p is sold out, but there's always the secondary market. I have the 204p one, and I can confirm it's a significant step above S30V and even moreso than VG-10.

I agree those steels are awesome! S30v is definitely not a bad steel, nor is vg10
I actually find myself reaching for the vg10 as it holds a good edge and when I need a touch up to scary sharp vg10 is easier when field sharpening

VG-10 has been one of my favorite steels for a long time. No, it's not the greatest at edge holding, but it's sufficient for daily use (and daily touch-ups, if used), and I've always been able to get VG-10 sharper and easier than comparable steels like 440C and ATS-34/154CM. Something about the grain of the steel and/or the equipment I use (ceramics) and my skills just makes a great combination for me.

VG-10 has been one of my favorite steels for a long time. No, it's not the greatest at edge holding, but it's sufficient for daily use (and daily touch-ups, if used), and I've always been able to get VG-10 sharper and easier than comparable steels like 440C and ATS-34/154CM. Something about the grain of the steel and/or the equipment I use (ceramics) and my skills just makes a great combination for me.

Very interesting, Plant. What is your method of touching up? Strop? Ceramic rod?

I seem to be adequately skilled with a strop (adequate, but no great shakes). However, when it comes to ceramic rods, I'm not getting good results.

Very interesting, Plant. What is your method of touching up? Strop? Ceramic rod?

I seem to be adequately skilled with a strop (adequate, but no great shakes). However, when it comes to ceramic rods, I'm not getting good results.

Freehand with ceramic rods. I can't really give you any tips, as it's something I've been doing and improving on (I can't say "perfected") over 25+ years. I'm finding I have similar results with the 20CV/204p/M390 knives I have; just a brief touch-up with ceramics and a used edge can shave arm hair again. I just have to do it less frequently with those than I do with VG-10. I'm not as successful with S30V, but again, that's just my experience.

I carry a small strop board , one side slick leather, other 1 micron diamond, also a SAK steel, these will make vg10 scary sharp, and quick !
they work pretty decent on other steels too with more time

Last edited:
I just noticed that DLT has a Delica 4 in 20cv. It's got those funny zome handles and a coated blade, neither of which interest me, but it's 20cv.

Why coat a high chromium steel like 20cv? :confused:

Last edited:
Those guys better produce a email to me I am signed up for one

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It'll probably take months for it to sell out.

I just noticed that DKT has a Delica 4 in 20cv. It's got those funny zome handles and a coated blade, neither of which interest me, but it's 20cv.

Why coat a high chromium steel like 20cv? :confused:

Dealer exclusives are frequently released in both bare steel and DLC/TiCN variants for cosmetic reasons, regardless of whether or not the steel is stainless. DLT dropped a satin version of the Delica as well, it just sold out months ago.

I prefer sharpening my K390 over the s30v-the "bite" just grabs stuff!

I haven't tried sharpening my K390s yet. They are rather new knives. But last night I tried stropping my Dragonfly 2 in K390. Can I say that I know what I'm doing? Probably not.

So I, just today, was seeing how sharp I could get my Spyderco Police 4 with K390 using a Norton IM 313 sharpening kit. This kit comes with coarse, medium, and fine stones. The first two are silicon carbide and the fine is aluminum oxide.

Long story short, I could not get below about 270 with the BESS tester. In frustration, I grabbed my Spyderco Double Stuff 2. This has a CBN coarse and ceramic fine side. Less than two minutes later I dropped the BESS score from 270 to 55.

So if you are trying to sharpen K390, I would definitely recommend something like what I used or perhaps diamond.

Back