s30v or K390?

gordyt gordyt Good to know, Gordo. I've been stropping my K390 blades today, and I am thinking of fiddling around with some ceramics. I'm still learning, etc., etc.

For my next knife purchase, I thought I was leaning toward s30v, but, from what I can gather, K390 is just a better steel.

The only time I go with S30V is when a particular knife I really really want is only available in that steel, the Kapara for example. As soon as a dealer exclusive Kapara in 20CV became available I got one and sold the S30V version. I like 20CV version so much better. Sure S30V isn't bad, it's pretty good even, but in my use I have to touch it up pretty much after every time I use it to maintain the degree of sharpness I prefer. As for K390, it's about the nicest knife steel I've tried. It seems to go on and on. One time I tried to cut some thick rope with my K390 Endura, didn't realize there was heavy galvanized wire hidden under it. The K390 edge was very slightly damaged, took about 400 strokes (<10 minutes) on the Sharpmaker rods to bring it back.

Ko, please tell us what you saw. Heck, tell us what a micrograph is. :)

Larrin published micrographs of various steels on knifesteelnerds.com.
A lapped/polished and IIRC etched area of a steel (or other material) imaged under magnification is a micrograph. This will make the grain structure of the steel visible - the various carbides distributed in the matrix steel.
In general, PM steels will have an even structure contributing to toughness and ingot steels will have large carbides.
At the same magnification K390 looks finer to me. The finer the grain, the sharper an edge can be I guess.
It is a good read and fascinating photos.

Corrosion resistance matters for me in the summer. That rules out D2, XHP, or non-stainless steels like K390. It's not just keeping up with prevention on a hot sweaty day with 100% humidity. Corrosion can happen. I like the idea of my nicer knives being around long-term, not just for me but for my kids, etc. Having a hedge against corrosion can be a beautiful thing.

There are fancier steels available now but S30V remains popular for a reason. It's a good steel. It might be a little more challenging to sharpen but that's true for a lot of premium stainless steels. I feel like it evens out and isn't a big deal at the end of the day. Of course, I just got my first knife in S110V so we'll see how that goes...

Back