S30V, S90V or rex 45 native chief?

I only have experience with S30V and I'm comfortable with sharpening it.

Why should I choose S90V or rex 45 instead of S30V? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How easy are they to sharpen compared to S30V?

In basic terms, with s90v you get very high edge retention and corrosion resistance but not quite as tough as the other two Steels.

rex 45 will probably be somewhere between s30v and s90v in edge retention but it is tougher than both. It is a non stainless steel so it will patina fairly easily.

S30v has more than adequate edge retention, toughness, and corrosion resistance in my opinion.

I like the s90v version for its carbon fiber and edge retention. I think the rex45 scales are an ugly color.

The Rex45 NC costs the same as the one in S30V. I think the burnt orange is nicer than black G10. But mainly, because Rex 45 is tougher than S30V, it can maintain a more acute edge which translates into better edge retention. Rex45 is a better steel relative to S30V. With diamonds it sharpens as easily as S30V. I re-profiled Rex45 without much effort. And the same applies to S90V if you use CBN and diamonds.

Both the S30V and the Rex45 are users, I don't even worry about their delicate tip too much. But the S90V doesn't strike me as a serious user, not because it can't handle it, but b/c it is too nice and expensive for most of us, so getting it, is only meaningful with a specific reason (eg to pair it up with the S90V fluted CF Native in a collection etc).

Why should I choose S90V ... instead of S30V? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How easy are they to sharpen compared to S30V?

Since the Chief has no liners, I love the CF scales. The next best thing to steel. Also noticeably lighter than G10 - for instance - to carry in my PJs :). Plus S90V is my favorite SS. Sharpening on my ceramic stone is not very different from S30V. I stay at medium grit though (~800?), I like the bite.

Since the Chief has no liners, I love the CF scales. The next best thing to steel. Also noticeably lighter than G10 - for instance - to carry in my PJs :). Plus S90V is my favorite SS. Sharpening on my ceramic stone is not very different from S30V. I stay at medium grit though (~800?), I like the bite.

C'mon, it is only six grams (0.2oz). ;)

People are dumping them here on the forums for pretty low prices, just find one that's cheap and you think isnt ugly.

Would be great if I can have REX45 with the CF handles but alas...

rex 45 will probably be somewhere between s30v and s90v in edge retention but it is tougher than both. It is a non stainless steel so it will patina fairly easily.

If those three steels were all ~61 hrc your statement would be true. Spyderco s90v would likely be 61 hrc and the rex 45 would likely be 66 hrc. The Rex will actually smoke the s90v in edge retention. Also you could drop the edge angle lower on the Rex and further stomp the s90v.

If those three steels were all ~61 hrc your statement would be true. Spyderco s90v would likely be 61 hrc and the rex 45 would likely be 66 hrc. The Rex will actually smoke the s90v in edge retention. Also you could drop the edge angle lower on the Rex and further stomp the s90v.

I agree - all things being equal (optimum heat treat for each steel - not the same heat treat for each steel) Rex45 should outperform both by a wide margin. As Knibes stated Rex45 also has the edge stability to hold a lower angle that the other two do not.

Is the rex 45 66 hrc?

I've had trouble sharpening zdp 189, should I stay away from rex 45 then?

Is the rex 45 66 hrc?

I've had trouble sharpening zdp 189, should I stay away from rex 45 then?

Yes (66hrc). It is very hard from the tests I have seen. Often harder than Spyderco ZDP; but don't be dissuaded.

What sharpening tech do you have access to?

I only have experience with S30V and I'm comfortable with sharpening it.

Why should I choose S90V or rex 45 instead of S30V? What are the advantages and disadvantages? How easy are they to sharpen compared to S30V?

To add another option, Cutlery Shoppe just announced a CTS-XHP Native Chief dropping on the 10th. :)

DMT "stones".

Ok then! That will cut Rex 45 very well.

About a decade ago I noticed ZDP can get chippy looking at the edge if I apex it with coarse diamond stones. I don't think that is the case with Rex 45 but of course it is best to not sharpen to the apex with high pressure on very coarse stones.

I set the edge back on my Rex 45 military to about 12 degrees per side. I maintain the edge with the sharpmaker at 15 DPS. I am not sharpening and shaping at the same angle. Makes it so quick and easy to get a hair popping edge.

A regrind is another option (thin the whole blade). I did that on my Rex para 3 so I can easily change the bevel angle quickly with a pocket diamond stone.

Rex 45 sharpens fairly easily ,I think I read because of the smaller carbides you don't need diamonds to sharpen (although I use venev)

I go to 1500 on venev stones and 1 micron diamond spray on a strop.... rex 45 has a unique feel ... not bitey more like a straight razor.... it cuts you before you even realize it

Last edited:
I have daily carried a Shaman Rex 45 since they came out, maybe 6 months ago or so.

I haven’t even needed to touch it up, and use has included some abusive hacking of vines and small tree sprouts on the yard.

Yesterday I looked at the edge and thought I had several rolls, but no, it was just gunk on the edge.

Spyderco Rex 45 will slice you open before you feel it, razor blade sharpness.

I love the burnt orange color, and I have almost no patina (very slight if you look real close).

In the end it won't really matter.
They are all fantastic !

I would get the one that visually appeals to you the most.

Rex 45 sharpens fairly easily ,I think I read because of the smaller carbides you don't need diamonds to sharpen (although I use venev)

I go to 1500 on venev stones and 1 micron diamond spray on a strop.... rex 45 has a unique feel ... not bitey more like a straight razor.... it cuts you before you even realize it

Carbide size isn't really a factor in what abrasives you use, more so carbide type. REX 45 is full of high hardness carbides (vanadium, tungsten, molybdenum) that definitely require diamonds to get the most out of it.

I have all 3 steels and do prefer the s90v for the stainless, however the extra cost of the sprint has kept me from purchasing chief model. The Rex 45 is a fantastic deal, upgraded steel, nice color g10 and not to hard to get. However Rex is not stainless so there is a trade off.

I would snatch one of the sprints asap, before they are gone.

Back