S35VN hard to find? - Reclosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been using a lot of S35VN lately and as of a month ago I’ve had a hard time finding any at certain thicknesses. I asked AKS when they’d be stocking more and they responded as soon as they fix an issue with the steel from crucible. Has anyone else noticed a shortfall in this steel!? I have a customer who wants a 6” basic chef knife out of it and I was thinking .093” stock but cannot seem to nail any.. Would .072 be to thin? Or is their a similar steel you would prefer that’s a stainless and better edge holding than AEBL?

0.072” will be fine. I’ve made 7+” knives out of it, or even 0.060” and the owners never complained, even after I asked about flex. I just bought some 0.060” for the same types of knives.

I'm not sure why Alpha Knife Supply would say such a thing but I'll give Chuck a call and see if there is something I'm unaware of. There is no known problem with any of the steel from Crucible. .093" CPM S35VN is not a common size for a distributor but we have plenty in stock. Midwest Knifemakers Supply has some on order and they can be reached at 507-720-6063. You'll get better pricing from one of our distributors due to the volume of steel they buy.

We stand behind our product if there is a problem. Anyone who has dealt with us knows this to be true.
Bob Shabala
President, Niagara Specialty Metals

I'm not sure why Alpha Knife Supply would say such a thing but I'll give Chuck a call and see if there is something I'm unaware of. There is no known problem with any of the steel from Crucible. .093" CPM S35VN is not a common size for a distributor but we have plenty in stock. Midwest Knifemakers Supply has some on order and they can be reached at 507-720-6063. You'll get better pricing from one of our distributors due to the volume of steel they buy.

We stand behind our product if there is a problem. Anyone who has dealt with us knows this to be true.
Bob Shabala
President, Niagara Specialty Metals
Thanks, this is the email I recieved from Chuck back at the end of September..

I buy all my S35VN from Aldo. I mostly use the .065-.075 size.

At this time of year many suppliers are out of stock.

I have not seen any problems with the steel from Niargra.

Reactions: nsm
Thanks for sharing the message from Chuck. It is a bald face lie to say there is a problem with Crucible's steel.

I think some people prefer a saw cut edge because if not done properly, shearing can leave a burr and/or cause the strips to go out of flat. Our strips have minimal if any burr and are flattened after shearing.

Yes, Aldo is another trusted supplier of our steel.

What issues does shear cut impose?
This ..................
k9yXNUd.png

cErHExN.jpg

Natty,
I've never seen that before, all the thin stock is sheer cut, All of these steels have the option to have decarbing removed with precison flat grinding or you have to remove it yourself with surface grinding on a flat platen with magnet to hold the blank.

I just recently bought some thin stock, sheer cut from NSM like I have for the past 2 years, I've never had the issue in your photos Natty.
8Janb1X.jpg

SEDd8NV.jpg

I save some cash by not having it precision flat ground but it costs time to remove the decarbing to the finished thickness.

This ..................
k9yXNUd.png

cErHExN.jpg

Reactions: nsm
Steel is 5mm thick , maybe that s way ...Or German have worn shear :mad:
My point is when I buy 5mm steel I want 5mm steel not 4mm at the end of work !!

Last edited:
Its been maybe 6 weeks or so since I first saw it posted that Chuck said there was a problem and have been watching to see what the problem is. Does seem strange he thinks there is a problem but hasn't contacted you??

Question- I think so but just to be sure, all CPM steel is USA made correct ?

Steel is 5mm thick , maybe that s way ...Or German have worn shear :mad:
My point is when I bye 5mm steel I want 5mm steel not 4mm at the end of work !!
I'd give that German place a call and let them know what finished thickness you need and show them the error on that piece you received.

Its been maybe 6 weeks or so since I first saw it posted that Chuck said there was a problem and have been watching to see what the problem is. Does seem strange he thinks there is a problem but hasn't contacted you??

Question- I think so but just to be sure, all CPM steel is USA made correct ?

It's all made at Crucible and processed/distributed by Niagra.

Yes, all CPM is melted and forged into slab at Crucible in Syracuse NY. We hot roll the slab into sheet and sell direct or through distributors. You'll get the best price through them because they buy in large quantities. There's a list of authorized distributors on our website. http://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=33

I have contacted Chuck in regards to the issue but have not heard back from him or Jessica.

If it is CPM steel it is from Crucible/Niagara ... if it is from some other place it is PM steel. The process is particle metallurgy.
This is sort of the same as if it is from Kleenex, it is Kleenex tissue ... if it is from any other company, it is just tissue.

I'd give that German place a call and let them know what finished thickness you need and show them the error on that piece you received.
No ! They don t sell steel from yesterday , they know what they are doing and sell.....Simple , I will never again buy steel from them .I found other source in Italy , they use water jet for cutting sheet .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back