S35VN vs CTS-XHP?

How do they compare for Cold Steel as far as edge retention and toughness? The CTS-XHP has had very very good edge retention for me, much better than my S30V folders. No chips on the edge so far for me either. Anyone know the HRC CS is getting for the S35VN?

I find that S35vn performs very much like a souped up 154cm. Cts-xhp performs more like a stainless D2 in PM form.

XHP at higher HRC will perform pretty good. Ultimate hunter tested at 63hrc here http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ed-on-edge-retention-cutting-5-8-rope.793481/

i would not assume all cold steel's XHP is 63hrc. this could vary knife to knife or model to model, im unsure.

the cold steel XHP at 63hrc performs slightly better than other mass produced s35vn knives (custom knives are a different story).

i havent seen any Cold steel tests on there S35VN. i would probably pick XHP over S35VN, but you will probably not see a direct difference in edge retention unless you actually collect data on it like Ankerson.

if you goto a Cedric Ada video he has all his testing shown at the end of the videos This is one of the more recent videos with the results.

This is the most recent XHP video he's tested.

XHP performs pretty well above s35vn in comparison, and he tested two XHP blades that were really close in end results. XHP can have a low rockwell HRC rating and perform in a lower class of edge retention, so not all are equal on the scale. depends on the heat treatment (and of course edge geometry AND depends what you are cutting as well).

Last edited:
Back