S7 Doublestar Fury vs cpm3v rmj wyvern !!!HELP!!!

I have recently wanted to buy a hardcore machete. My search has led me to too very well made machete/swords. The Rmj tactical wyvern and the doublestar knives fury. I had a few questions that i hope someone could clear up before i go ahead and buy one. This would be for survival...and the zombie apocalypes, lol.

1. Overall which steel would perform better and hold up for long periods of use.

2. Overall which steel would be less likely to roll or chip from hard use, chopping, batoning, accidental strikes on hard surfaces like rocks or for more "tactical" uses the sheet metal of a car.

3. Which steel is able to be sharpened in the field and if so what would you use to sharpen s7 or cpm3v if you were in a survival situation.
rmj wyvern:

doublestar fury.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with a condor Golok Machete - I've used it extensively with brush and bamboo, and it compares favorably with several other machetes I've used.

One mistake with the RMJ, and you are out $500 - you are going to hit rocks, etc if using it for work.

If you want a sword, buy a sword.

Why does that Fury thing have so much unsharpened area? As for your choice, be honest with yourself, do you really buy it because you'll expect to really need it or because you think it'd be cool to own, because neither screams "necessity" to me and more "those look neat to me". Nothing wrong with the latter, I don't plan on going into the woods, fight zombies or get shipwrecked. I bought my "SHTF" Knives just because I wanted them, I know I won't really use them but I ended up with 3 TOPS Knives (Operator 7, El Chete and SXB), I will definitely find a use for them and they will hold up fine to anything I expose them too.
That Fury thing I wouldn't buy, the RMJ will be a great tool, their stuff is quality although you pay for the name as much as you pay for the design, so you can get the same performance for less money.

Zombie Tools makes similar stuff in a similar price range which also seems to be well made, or you can go for something from TOPS, Condor or Cold Steel for less money if you just want something that you can beat on and not worry too much about it.

Condor. Makara. Machete.

Poor mans (and i mean really poor mans) Dan Keffler Super assassin. $7000+ vs just under 100 bucks on amazon.
You get about 19 inches of well heat treated 1075. A ten inch handle which is really good for control. Super thin machete geometry. Badass Katana like profile AND a leather sheath. Love it so much I bought 2. (1 used) I hand Sanded the bead blast coating off, Polished it up and slapped some electrical tape on the handle. Ill post pictures of mine if I have some free time.
it says it weighs 2lbs14oz BUT i weighed mine and the blade only is 1lb13ounces. Pretty light for that much blade and swinging power.

I highly recommend checking it out, plus you can customize yours with ease and not feel bad about accidentally ruining it.:D

(Golok and yoshimi machete are a little thick in my opinion. This one keeps a traditional machete thinness.)

Do not link to vendors who do not have BF Dealer memberships.
Here is enough information on the two items to continue the discussion.

upload_2019-4-20_12-47-13.png

upload_2019-4-20_12-47-42.png
RMJ Tactical Fixed Blade: Wyvern priced at $690
  • Overall Length: 21.125 in
  • Blade Length: 15.125 in
  • Cutting Edge Length: 14 in
  • Blade Thickness: .230 in
  • Weight: 1 pound 4.6 ounces (without sheath)
  • Blade Material: CPM-3V
  • Sheath: Kydexr scabbard with low ride M.O.C. strap + M.O.C. rings + high ride M.O.C. w/D-ring loops
clear1x1.gif

DBox_Border_Left_Bottom.gif
clear1x1.gif
upload_2019-4-20_12-49-54.png
Specifications for Doublestar Fury Machete priced at $349:
Handle Finish: Textured G-10 Scales
Blade Finish: Cerakote
Included Accessories: Kydex Sheath
Blade Type: Plain Edge
Blade Material: S7 Steel
Blade Length: 10 in
Package Type: Box
Overall Length: 18.25 in
Color: Black
Handle Material: G-10
Knife Type: Fixed Blade
Hand: Ambidextrous

Although I would choose S7 over almost every steel any day of the week, this time I would choose the maker, not the steel, and RMJ Tactical is a brand with given proofs, so I would choose RMJ tactical, no matter what steel they use. Read Larrin articles and see what’s behind making a great knife! Steel choice is not the first concern! Now if you asked to choose between a Scott Gossman S7 knife and an RMJ Tactical one, that would be a much harder choice!:D

Back