S7 Fixed Blade : Looking To BUY!

Not S7, but Elmax which would be easier to maintain, very close to your specs and designed for the kind of service field usage including prying that you're looking for. You can find these for $225 at Knifecenter and other places. I don't own one, but have read good reviews, and if you are set on needing a sharpened prybar, these are an interesting option.

https://www.firstedgeusa.com/product/firstedge-fixed-blade-survival-knife-5050/

Haha I guess I wasn't thinking about slicing too much! But there is a range of .265-.350. and maybe a high going or a full flat grind if the stock is that thick.

The only reason I was planning on taking a knife before I saw what was allowed is based on what all my friends and family have told me about being deployed and how knives are almost always allowed. But you make good points.

Don't buy a knife until you are out of basic and have someplace to secure your stuff. Any high end knife you take will more than likely come up missing. Even in base housing thievery is high.

Take a look at how many pawn shops are around military bases.

My son has had several knives and other items stolen including an inexpensive Buck (during A-school), a Becker BK7 and a Spyderco. The Becker and Spyderco were lost when his garage (in base housing) was broken into.

The super Busse fans can correct me, but I think the older models of Bussekin that use SR-77, that is S7.
Infi is nice and tough with good corrosion resistance and a great warranty for their knives. They make lots of FAT knives that are thick behind the edge and thick tips.
Adam Kornalski knives. He makes knife in A8Mod steel. That steel is incredibly tough! His A8Mod blades are about .275 inches thick, and they are custom, so you can choose the height of the bevel and how much the tip tapers. Here are a couple of his A8Mod blades. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a8mod-7-mm-pushdagger-krypton180-and-others.1528174/

That said I prefer thinner blades. I would rather have a cutting tool that can cut and carry an extra pry tool, rather than be completely indestructible pry tool that can barely cut. Everyone is different though. But, I do have blades that are .170-.200" thick, and are tough as can be, but still cut very very well.

Gollik knives is a maker that offers good prices, thick or thin blades, custom, and good steels. I have a few of his knives and I opt'd for a pry tool on the end of the handle. Great idea and comes in handy quite a bit. I would rather go that route any day of the week!! IMHO

Last edited:
I would look on the exchange at some Busse blades. Not S7, but INFI is darn tough, and if you can break one I would be shocked and impressed!

Previous posts have reco'd that you wait until you see what is allowed for your unit.
It is an admirable ambition, and I would have loved it, but I'm not sure I even heard of the Rangers when I was that age.
Good luck to you and thanks to your people, and all veterans, who have served in one way or another.

Back