Sad sad day for my bk7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clich, i was hoping you would respond, wanted to say i want to be just like you when i grow up! haha! the write up on the etching is awesome! i havent actually done it as of yet, but makes the blades look super cool. I loved the bk16, it is definatly on my list.

Haha, im nothing special, just a guy with some bleach, possible chlorine gas poisoning, and not much else to do :D thanks. eat your wheaties :D

Lemme say this, they replaced it, but that may not be the case everytime. Its up to Kabar to determine what will and won't be replaced.

Moose

indeed. abuse is abuse. there's a line, and it's not so fine. cross it at your peril.

still, use them DAMN hard. use use use.

in the history of the line, 30 years or so, VERY few have broken. MMM.

almost every single broken one? taken care of. the few that weren't? so obviously abused, that it's not funny.

i imagine there's a few folx that honestly "used them up" and didn't seek replacements. takes all kinds :)

I sent them to jroden a little while ago, as i wasnt able to pm them. Jroden, did you get them?

Yep, uploading now

ba5a7046.jpg

5d155210.jpg

454f6cb1.jpg

f8a8bd26.jpg

Well, unless you jammed that knife in a board and then stood on the handle ala some of the dipstick "testers" on Youtube or broke it due to throwing it etc.....

It should not have snapped like that.

Wow. Yeh send it backs. Worst case they don't replace it and your right where you are now. However they are good people. I wouldn't worry to much

I don't remember but I'm thinking dark walnut for some reason

Well, unless you jammed that knife in a board and then stool on the handle or broken it throwing it etc.....

It should not have snapped like that.

Broke in the exact smae place mine did. I broke mine while prying to the side with just one hand.

You boys are using the 7 as a shovel and pry bar? Thats what the 2 and 3 are for. I don't know how anyone broke a two throwing it. I suspect Randy Johnson and a brick wall were likely involved.

Odd. Every single becker, a 9, a 2, and now a 7, that I have seen broken were ALL broken in that same spot.

Damn you, you pesky roll stamps!! Anyone think we will see this problem pretty much go away with the new laser etching?

Hey Guys,

I have babied my bk7 and used it to gut some boxes and paper and such, then my fiance tasked me with removing some roots from under a porch. I thought to myself: I finally get to use my knife and see how tuff it really is. I chopped at the roots, used it to dig a little, and all task were handled until i heard the sound that no one who spent 100 bucks on a knife wants to hear. Snap. You can only imagine how pissed i was when i heard it. I was thinking about getting a bk2 or maybe a bk9 to go along with it, and depending how kabar handles the warranty, i still may. I have read good reviews on the warranty, but when i recieved the phone call from them, she told me of the long list of things that werent covered. I did not in any way shape or form abuse it, but am nervous as hell that i will ship it to them and they just tell me its not covered. ANy of you guys have any experience with this?

You overpaid.

That aside...

Warranty wording: "This Limited Warranty does not apply to any failure of, defect in, or damage to the knife caused by normal wear and tear or by improper use, including throwing the knife, using the blades as a can opener, chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, digging tool, or for any heavy work for which the knife was not designed."

You certainly abused the knife by your description of what you did with it versus the terms of the warranty. There is simply no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Still, KA-BAR is good people. I would be surprised if they didn't take care of you, but not shocked. There has to be a line somewhere, right?

While there has to be a line somewhere, the reason i bought this knife is because it looked b.a., looked like it could handle anything you threw at it. I did use it to dig, sparingly, and did use it to pry and chop, reasonable task that i would have thought it could have handled. I am not going to lie and tell you i can bench 600 pounds or that i am superman by any means, so i would think the blade could have easily handled the tolerances i put it under. So given the strict guidelines of the warranty, it is only to be used to cut, and only cut things. That is not what i had in mind when i bought it as a "survival knife" and maybe i was wrong in thinking that this knife would be the one to suit all my needs in a knife.

One side note to this..

I have beat the living CRAP out of recently made samples of Bk 2, 7, 9 and 16 knives battoning wood etc and never had one blade break..

To me battoning a piece of wood "knots etc" is about the toughest thing you'd could reasonably expect a knife to do and they have come through with flying colors.

One side note to this..

I have beat the living CRAP out of recently made samples of Bk 2, 7, 9 and 16 knives battoning wood etc and never had one blade break..

To me battoning a piece of wood "knots etc" is about the toughest thing you'd could reasonably expect a knife to do and they have come through with flying colors.

to me, knowingly batoning wood with knots, esp evergreens (just posted this line of thought actually), is abuse. in MY opinion. some of those knots are filled with silicates (quartz/rocks), and well, will throw *SPARKS* when chopped. that should be a warning. use something else. most of the really nasty CHIPS and edge blowouts i've seen are from doing that.

If you're going to photograph fracture surfaces ,please take good photos !!! That one is of no use ! There is info on this forum on how to photo knives.

While there has to be a line somewhere, the reason i bought this knife is because it looked b.a., looked like it could handle anything you threw at it. I did use it to dig, sparingly, and did use it to pry and chop, reasonable task that i would have thought it could have handled. I am not going to lie and tell you i can bench 600 pounds or that i am superman by any means, so i would think the blade could have easily handled the tolerances i put it under. So given the strict guidelines of the warranty, it is only to be used to cut, and only cut things. That is not what i had in mind when i bought it as a "survival knife" and maybe i was wrong in thinking that this knife would be the one to suit all my needs in a knife.

I could say the same thing about a Buck 110. They look BA, and they look like they can take whatever you throw at them.

I'm sure you are not Superman. Who of us is? But lets be honest, you're not Mr. Burns either, right? Those roots must have been a sizable chore, or you wouldn't have thought to yourself let's see "how tuff it really is."

If you were looking for one knife to handle all of your needs, and your needs include prying and digging (sparingly or not), yes, you bought the wrong knife. Obviously. It broke. One of two things happened. You got a total fluke of a knife, or you really did hit its tolerances. It's one of the two.

I wonder, if the knife was replaced, and you had the exact same chore in front of you, would you try it again with the Becker?

I had to take some roots out just a few weeks ago. I used a pickaxe, shovel and saw.

Have you sent the knife back yet?

I love how people can preach about how tough Beckers are, how they can pry, dig, chop, bash, hammer etc... But as soon as one legit breaks people say "Cutting roots? That's abuse!!". If I was usingy Hard Use knife that works for a living and it failed without me TRYING to make it fail, I would want a replacement. If they said "Sorry, not covered by warranty, you were abusing it.". Well let's just say my Beckers would disappear and a bunch of Esee's would take their place. No questions asked, lifetime of the knife transferable warranty vs "Send it to Kabar and cross your fingers.". Which would you bet on? I hope Kabar replaces that for you, if not, I'd be a little heartbroken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back