Safety gloves

I'm curious if anyone uses or ever used cut-resistant gloves while handling their knives. If so, any suggestions or recommendations as to what to look for?

I'm curious if anyone uses or ever used cut-resistant gloves while handling their knives. If so, any suggestions or recommendations as to what to look for?

I plan on buying cut proof shirt, jacket and gloves. It's just a matter of time.

As 91bravo 91bravo said there are different ratings for cut proof clothing. PPSS and CutPro are two brands that I am looking at for clothing.

Yes, I also wear thick soled boots when walking around my house to protect my feet. Hey man, you just never know when dangerous conditions could present themselves. Cold tile in the morning is no joke.

We use cut resistant gloves at work, gotta wear 'em all stinkin' day long. I've got some at home, about the only time I use them when handing pocket knives is if I have a blade open around the buffer.

Nope. No gloves.

I SHOULD wear those mesh steel knight armour gloves when I handle knives hammered based on past experience, but I don’t.

I don’t wear a hockey helmet when walking around in the house either and I have fell down stairs and fell on slippery floors more often than I have cut myself with a knife.

Live a little...

i'll wear a fillet glove from time to time - mostly when actually filleting large amounts of fish in a quick fashion.

for general knife handling - no protective equipment required

Check out Hex Armor with SuperFabric. I mostly use mine when doing things like handling sharp-edged sheet metal, glass, or picking up jagged rusty junk.

Yes, I also wear thick soled boots when walking around my house to protect my feet. Hey man, you just never know when dangerous conditions could present themselves. Cold tile in the morning is no joke.
I don't wear "thick soled shoes", but I pretty much wear shoes to protect my feet inside the house. If you have kittens, they seem to love biting bare toes. But that isn't why I do it; done if for years.

I would wear gloves when handling things like sheet metal (HVAC stuff mostly for me, and occasionally broken glass) and swinging a machete or axe. Other than that, no gloves. Just about any work gloves should provide enough protection other than in an industrial environment relative to knives.

I prefer to sit around naked when handling my knives. I find it's the easiest way to test all areas of the body for a knife's shaving sharpness.

I do the same while cleaning my guns or cooking bacon. Bu I do leave the doors and windows open should someone need to identify me - safety first and all....

Nah, and I was a carpenter in a former life where I used a razor knife with the Stanley razor blades daily. Believe it or not, I've never had a cut that's required stitches. Being a hillbilly from WV, Dad taught me knife safety at a young age.
I like to tell everybody I had a penknife in my diaper. :poop: :) I can't ever remember a time I haven't had a knife on me. Most of the time, 2.

I agree that the humor on this topic is low brow. In Fact. I wear eyebrow protectors when sharpening so that I don't get carried away with testing sharpness on hair.

With knives, assuming you have normal grip strength and aren't swinging a machete at a head of cabbage, you shouldn't need cut resistant gloves. Around a meat/deli slicer yes, normal knives no. However, I do recommend steel toe shoes and heavy jeans or a leather apron because most serious cuts I have been around 'inside the house' have been from a falling knife with a few dummies putting a sharp knife under suds in a sink just to keep you on your 'toes'. Seriously, if the knife is falling, back away and definitely don't try to catch it. Get your legs and feet out of the way.

The argument I have against most cut resistant gloves for 'normal' use is you loose almost all feeling for whatever you are cutting which creates a hazard all its own. A sharp knife that cuts easily should be felt through the slice which minimizes injuries to most people. A minor cut I can live with though I prefer to avoid them. Major cuts that would need a cut-resistant glove suggests the user needs some knife safety training. ;)

Back