Safety Tip

When moving all of your HI products to another room and wiping them down and oiling them as you go, be sure to intersperse the swords with the khukuris. Otherwise, if you do all of the khukuris first, then the swords, you may not realize you're running your oily hand down something that's sharp on both sides until it's too late.

Do not display unsheathed kukris by balancing them on a bookshelf if you are in the habit of walking about the room in the dark in your bare feet, because you might bump into the bookshelf ....:eek:
attachment.php

Attachments

• bookcase.jpg
    bookcase.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 255
Berkley said:
Do not display unsheathed kukris by balancing them on a bookshelf if you are in the habit of walking about the room in the dark in your bare feet, because you might bump into the bookshelf ....:eek:
attachment.php

Or on the top of a picture frame...:D
DanR

When removing a particularly rough burr from an edge, do it the right way and strop it on a piece of wood or something; do not try to save time by "wiping" it off with a shop rag. If you do wipe it, be sure to wipe past the edge, not along it. And if you do wipe along it, know how to use that rag as a bandage.

Before anyone asks, live bone removes a burr just fine. There are better methods though.

Not that any of us (me) are dumb enough to try a stunt like that. I'm just saying.

Or if you're carrying a khukuri in it's scabbard with a bunch of other stuff, and it slides out of the scabbard, don't try to catch it. Just let it fall and jump the hell out of the way.

And when you're chopping, know where the khuk is going if it glances off.

And when you're etching, polishing, or otherwise working on a RAZOR SHARP BLADE, make slow and deliberate movements, even when you're not actually working on the blade at that exact moment.

:eek:

Steve

Dave Rishar said:
If you do wipe it, be sure to wipe past the edge, not along it.

This goes for brushing airhair and dead skin cells off with the back of you hand after testing the sharpness of the edge.

Bob

Pictures...this thread is worthless without pictures!

;)

You once had the opportunity to take a picture of a classic "Rishar Moment," Nasty, but you chose not to. (The scar is hardly noticable today, although the bone is scarred underneath.)

God loves, and Darwin despised, folks like me. :)

True Dave...but no one would believe that story, even with pics.

Never chop when hungry. You'd think some people would learn.......:eek: But if you don't, at least be able to some up with some cool story or pics. (IF you ask nice, I'll take pics of the wound and post them tomorrow along with pics of the bloody hawk)

Heber

ferguson said:
Or if you're carrying a khukuri in it's scabbard with a bunch of other stuff, and it slides out of the scabbard, don't try to catch it. Just let it fall and jump the hell out of the way.
I did that once with my 20" Kobra. I didn't even think it was all that sharp, but it sure did take a nice size chunk off my ring finger.

Just because you CAN chop the frozen venison dog-food scraps on the counter with a khukuri; this does not mean you SHOULD chop them.

Clunk ! ZING !!!

Jeez Luiz! I don't consider a blade owned by me till I get bit by it. I have yet to get bit by my kukri. for now. Its waiting for me to look away for a second.

Cardinal rule: Never handle, work on, un-scabbard, re-scabbard any khukuri, especialy with hands covered in ballistol, while barefoot.

Regards,

Stumpy

Don't fry bacon nekkid . . .

uhmm, with a khurki (added for proper khukri content).

VERY IMPORTANT DON'T DRINK AND CHOP.

ferguson said:

Steve

kamagong said:
I did that once with my 20" Kobra. I didn't even think it was all that sharp, but it sure did take a nice size chunk off my ring finger.

Fer shure, fer shure!!!! Methinks this could be a common problem when carrying or trying to carry several khukuris at one time. I had the same happen to me as well.:eek:
Edit:
Of course proper fitting scabbards go a long way in preventing this problem.:(

Also don't handle any knife but especially a large heavy khukuri when sleepy, half asleep, or very tired while setting at the computer.
You may suddenly wake up with a sharp pain in a couple of wet bloody toes or worse yet missing them!!!!:eek: I was very lucky and only wound up with four or five stitches.:eek:

wildmanh said:
Never chop when hungry. You'd think some people would learn.......:eek: But if you don't, at least be able to some up with some cool story or pics. (IF you ask nice, I'll take pics of the wound and post them tomorrow along with pics of the bloody hawk)

Heber

Heber, please don't tell me you're saying what I think you're saying. Hungry my aching a$$, you keep trying to chop wood with all them pretty girls hanging all over you stuff's gonna happen.

Okay, pretty please with sugar on top, bring on the pics, visual aids are always useful.

Sarge

Back