SAK Key ring

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I am sure years ago I made mention of replacing the key ring on the SAK's but as I just got in a new Recruit folder, I wanted to show how much 'nicer' a smaller ring works on there. Not sure if they figured on having more things tied to it or what, but the standard ring is too large for me.

Standard Ring on the left side

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Smaller ring installed and fob attached

Recruit on the left and my ever present Executive on the right

I have an Alox Cadet coming in tomorrow, depending on which one is better I'll keep one and part with the other. But I'll also change out the keychain ring on the Cadet as well.

G2

Gary, I’ve swapped a couple of rings in the past too. But I actually put a little larger one on a Classic so I could put jut two keys on it once. But for what I use my Tinker, and other of similar size for, a smaller ring seems to work well.

Where do you find the smaller rings? I think the rings on my Rambler and Minichamp are a bit too large.

It’s been a while but I think my wife picked them up from either Hobby Lobby or Michael’s
Probably any craft store or like mentioned above at Bass Pro

G2

...but, everyone knows that carbon rings keep a better edge...;)

just kidding and thanks for that tip! I will have to check them out too as these small ones I have are quite tight to get onto the knife!

G2

I use the Bison Designs Circle Key Caddies which have a gate allowing the removal or addition of items. The split rings that come with a Caddie are quite large. I have an assortment split rings of different sizes so that I can use the smallest ring that fits the accessory. The moving around of tools is very fast, and you make up an assortment for your anticipated daily adventures.
The SAK rings are stainless but hard to find in different sizes. 6FFB14B7-1DB5-4FE7-A9E8-864350EFF2B8.jpeg

I too replace the rings on my 84mm SAKs with smaller rings made for the Classic.

I am sure years ago I made mention of replacing the key ring on the SAK's but as I just got in a new Recruit folder, I wanted to show how much 'nicer' a smaller ring works on there. Not sure if they figured on having more things tied to it or what, but the standard ring is too large for me.

Standard Ring on the left side

Smaller ring installed and fob attached

Recruit on the left and my ever present Executive on the right

I have an Alox Cadet coming in tomorrow, depending on which one is better I'll keep one and part with the other. But I'll also change out the keychain ring on the Cadet as well.

G2

Yep, I bought a pack of 8mm split rings for $2 off eBay for just this purpose.

Amen! I'd much rather have a pen blade on there.

Yep, and the nail file tip is no where as well made as what comes on the Executive model which works great and used often, this one, I may try using it for a small screw driver if pressed to do so, otherwise it doesn't even scrape things well.
G2

The Cadet nail file is useless to me. An electrician blade or an awl would be so much more useful. I've tried using the file on my nails and it doesn't even do a good job! I wind up with ragged nails and a pile of nail dust. To me it is a vestige of another time.

14048394-43CD-4F64-A4C5-6A3D9ABDF29E.jpeg 5C0D975A-1E75-4359-AC74-FC1E91922C1B.jpeg I much prefer a cut file to a “sandpaper” file. The former cut in one direction only, the latter smear in both directions. I have scavenged “real” files from old knives and installed them on current models.

I might have the nail file checked for it’s Rockwell hardness and if it’s hard I might try to grind it into a pen blade
G2

Last edited:
Back