1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SAK Key ring

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Gary W. Graley, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Measured low 40’s so I’ll not do that
    :(
    G2

2. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    A sandpaper SAK file would not have to be very hard because the “sand” is very hard. A cut SAK file would probably be as hard as a blade so the teeth would not wear out.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I modified the tip of mine to work for small Phillips screws.

4. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Photo when you can
    G2

mnblade likes this.
  5. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Well, I had another thought for the nail file on the Cadet. I had my friend check the Rockwell of the awl on my Pioneer, if was in the low 40’s I was going to grind in a chisel edge on one side but the awl measured low 50’s so I’ll have to live with it as is.
    G2

6. YellowSwiss

YellowSwiss

Sep 28, 2015
    Perhaps grind the rounded area and tip to a 90 degree angle to increase its ability to scrape? If you use it for outdoor adventures, you could grind one whole edge to 90 degrees to use on ferro rods.

7. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    I might do something along those lines
    Thanks
    G2

8. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    I’ve done that on many of my knives, it’s a great mod, very useful if you carry a ferro rod in you edc. I always do that on one side of the nail file on the SAK classics, and often on the spine of fixed blades

9. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    I agree Gary, the factory ring is clumsy looking. I’ve changed the ring many times in the past.

Stelth and Gary W. Graley like this.
  10. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    Exotac was making firesteels with 440-C strikers. The 440-C strikers didn’t cut the mustard, so they switched to Tungsten Carbide. You can differentiate between the old and new strikers with a magnet. The 440-C is slightly attracted, the WC not at all.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  11. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Speaking of SAK keychain options, is a Tinker within reason? I have a Black Alox Cadet, and Classic inbound, and a Alox Pioneer as well. I'm thinking of switching the Spyderco Ladybugs on our key chains out. Why? It gives me an excuse to buy more knives! ;)

12. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    At least you’re honest about it. I on the other hand, have to make excuses to let myself buy a new knife.

“My S110v PM2 chips too easily, so I need to get an s30v Millie”

“Well I already have two spartans and a climber, but I want a medium size SAK with a corkscrew and a pen so I really need this Compact for my travel bag”

stevekolt likes this.
  13. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    2FE6AAF8-4714-46C8-9A72-5B5041E1C9ED.jpeg
    Sounds like you need a Spydie/SAK.

Getting older and Stelth like this.