SAK Mods! Post your pics, questions and ideas

G10 Pioneer X with a key ring delete.
2LxalzI.jpg

OK, I'm getting the itch to mod some SAK's, and knowing me it's going to have to happen at some point or I won't be able to get it out of my head (or perhaps be a slippery slope into obsession ;)). My question is, where is the the best place to dig in and do some research? I think I get the gist of the process, but I'm not too sure about what mods are possible due to compitablitliy of springs with various tools etc. I have a million ideas but need to gain some knowledge. So far I have noticed a good bit of info on multitool.org, but have only scratched the surface as of yet. Anywhere else I should be looking? I often turn to YouTube to learn knife mods, but most of those on SAK's either seem to just tell about the knife or time-lapse through the mods. In the end, I know the best way to learn may be to bust one open and see for myself, but I probably won't be trying for a few months until hiking season is fully over and the cold dreary days of winter set in, plus researching knives is fun.

Some AMAZING examples here BTW, and I might just reach out and get something made here, however I have a sneaky feeling that doing some of these myself is inevitable. For now I'm just occupying myself with scale swaps ;)

7sb79zY.jpg
Evogrip s18 with Kirinite scales, modified to a more traditional SAK shape. Swapped Phillips for corkscrew
This look amazing! Love the funky pattern!
OK, I'm getting the itch to mod some SAK's, and knowing me it's going to have to happen at some point or I won't be able to get it out of my head (or perhaps be a slippery slope into obsession ;)). My question is, where is the the best place to dig in and do some research? I think I get the gist of the process, but I'm not too sure about what mods are possible due to compitablitliy of springs with various tools etc. I have a million ideas but need to gain some knowledge. So far I have noticed a good bit of info on multitool.org, but have only scratched the surface as of yet. Anywhere else I should be looking? I often turn to YouTube to learn knife mods, but most of those on SAK's either seem to just tell about the knife or time-lapse through the mods. In the end, I know the best way to learn may be to bust one open and see for myself, but I probably won't be trying for a few months until hiking season is fully over and the cold dreary days of winter set in, plus researching knives is fun.

Some AMAZING examples here BTW, and I might just reach out and get something made here, however I have a sneaky feeling that doing some of these myself is inevitable. For now I'm just occupying myself with scale swaps ;)
Multitool.org is a great resource! Lots of great modders here too! I’d also be happy to answer any questions so feel free to reach out.

Ditto on what Spikediesel said. Check out the Mod Squad forums over at Multitool.org; lots of valuable resources on modding SAKs over there.

A good way to get started is to just jump right in! Take one apart, maybe add or remove some tools, put back together. Basic mods are not that difficult if you’re good with your hands and inclined towards tinkering with things.

As others have already said, check out the Mod Squad at Multitool.org. There are numerous resources there, but this is the best place to start: SAK Modding guides, all in one place. The threads listed there helped me tremendously when I started modding SAKs.

Thanks for the info gents! That seems like plenty to sink my teeth into. Like I said, it will likely be a while before I make an attempt if I do, but I feel an obsession coming on and learning can keep me occupied for now. I also have a couple of spares I can fool around with to get my bearings. Plus I have some titanium scales inbound for a simple swap on my sportsman, and have an adodizing project in mind that can satiate me for a bit.

I decided to anodize the skeletonized scales on my 91mm SAK Ti Waiter. The coating is much harder than the substrate and reduces scratching significantly. I will post photos when the thing is back together, but thought you might want a peek at the innards as well as the scale construction. A saw has been added to this standard Waiter. The 91mm over all length maximizes the utility of the saw.image.jpegimage.jpeg

May I ask what the blade's from? A #44 possibly? Or maybe a #19? It almost looks like you used an ALOX Bantam. Either that, or my eye for scale is off!

The blade is from a rail splitter, took quite a bit of grinding around the pivot and tang area but I got it to fit into a set of 93mm scales with a normal SAK bladespring.

Back