SAK nerd?

I was almost embarrassing excited to get my first 3 pack of eyeglass screwdrivers to put 1 in my huntsman. I do have glasses, but have never had an issue with screws falling out. Now I need a spartan to put a screwdriver in, ha ha. Am I alone in this joy of a little thing?

6C7E9555-C10A-489D-AAA7-BA48809DD661.jpeg I Loctite my eyeglass screws. If I am walking down the street and my glasses fall apart, I have a snowball’s chance in hell of even finding the missing screw. On trips away from home, I bring a spare pair of glasses. Sometimes a twisterseal can save the day. I usually need a lighted, magnifying loupe and fine tweezers to even do a bench repair.
A paper clip or safety pin can sometimes hold a temple onto a frame but cannot tighten the frame around the lens.

Welcome friend, you are not alone. I've got a little plastic tub of spares for when I need them, copper scales on a compact (completely defeats the purpose of it being light weight) and I backed the little toothpick ferro rod on kickstarter. You are in good company here, although I will warn you, we are all enablers here, so if you ever need to be talked out of a SAK buy, you might need a backup plan!

I was almost embarrassing excited to get my first 3 pack of eyeglass screwdrivers to put 1 in my huntsman. I do have glasses, but have never had an issue with screws falling out. Now I need a spartan to put a screwdriver in, ha ha. Am I alone in this joy of a little thing?
New tools are a joy, even if you don't get to use them much (or ever).

Zieg

I carry an eyeglass screwdriver in my Spartan. And I use it regularly too. While I haven't had a screw fall out of my glasses, the part of the frame that folds does get looser every couple of days. None of the screws have backed completely out *possibly* because the frames are titanium(?). BTW, I prefer titanium frames because they don't irritate my skin like some other metal frames do.

Jim

It's a neat little tool. I don't wear glasses, but I've found the odd use for it.

I also find that it smooths the profile of the corkscrew; makes the SAK more comfortable in hand.

Not enough SAK models include it, or the Plus scales. (Pin and pen)

Last edited:
That little screwdriver has come in handy many times. While I do wear glasses, its most common use has been for tiny screws on the battery compartments of small electronic doodads.

I used the mini driver to fix my wife’s sunglasses on our Summer holiday. “You won’t be able to fix them,” she said. Two minutes later she said, “Oh... thanks, sorry!” Haha :D

Back