SAK,repair or replace?

David Nowlin

Gold Member
My parents gave me a Swiss Champion for my birthday in 1989. During the 30 years I’ve had it the I managed to break the wood saw blade. Would it be a warranty issue? My biggest fear is if it was and i sent it in they would replace the whole knife.
I would prefer a new saw blade replacement as the knife is sentimental being that both my parents are gone now.
Anyone here with experience in Victorinox warranty issues feel free to comment.
I need direction in this mater your comments are most welcome. Thanks!
DN

I'd try giving them a call up at their Connecticut facility. Explain to them about the sentiment and ask if they have the capacity to disassemble and replace a tool rather than replace the whole knife.

I've talked to them on a few occasions and they seem to be very nice people. Never hurts to ask.

Thanks I will call. Was wondering,i saw( no pun intended) on a thread that people have taken them apart and removed a layer to customize their knife. Is that really possible? I thought i could just get a blade and do it myself but i’m sure it takes an expert of which i am not.

It’s complicated by the presence of backsprings which operate tools on both sides of the knife. Special tools are needed to spin heads on the rivets without damaging the collars that retain the handles. The handles would also have to be replaced unless you want to glue them.

I've rebuilt a dozen or so without special tools for the pins, but I wouldn't try it on one with that many layers.

Yea im sure that its more complicated the more layers the knife has. If i had or could find some SAK’s with 2-3 layers that needed scales and didnt have the sentimental value i could practice.

The problem is the spring tension is cumulative. Dealing with one or two springs is easy, but five or six really adds up. Five layers is the most I've succeeded in putting back together.

As you mentioned, the sentimental attachment. You want it to work properly when done, and some fine tuning may be required. Go to the people that do it everyday. Or, like your original question, you could put your old friend into retirement and start a 30 year adventure with a new one!

I’m going to get another Swiss Champion. Just waiting for one offering Alox Plus scales LOL! You know the ones with a toothpick, tweezers and a pen.
Just imagine a Swiss Champ with Alox scales?

54B0FE4F-9AF5-4A48-A36E-4E693E7918F8.jpeg There are custom SAK Champs out there that have screw together construction with Copper, Titanium, and Aluminum handles. Not my pic.

Well too late. It should have arrived at Victorinox today. But i kept it that way for 27 years guess i just wanted it finally repaired.
It's all good :thumbsup:. Lets hope that they show it the same love you have and keep us posted on the results.

BTW These 2 were gifts from my father to my son and I. My son uses his and I just finished a scissor repair and a sharpening but I just cant get myself to use mine since dad passed away, I don't think he would call me crazy but he would give me the stink eye for not using it.
vQ0spH2.jpg

Wow very cool Dad. I guess my parents were cool too as they took the wife and I out for dinner for my 30th b-day and gave me my SC there. I remember that moment as if it was yesterday. I have no idea how they chose that knife? I only had my Buck 110 i used as a Firefighter and at the time was not a collector in any way shape or form.
So many questions have come up since they have been gone. Such is life.

Vic customer service is excellent and very responsive. You should hit them up to ask to see what they can do.

I've sent random emails to Vic in the past just to suggest new implements / models and surprisingly, almost always received a reply. No, none of my suggestions have ever been realized.

Back