SAK's

No matter what other modern or traditional folder is in my right front pocket, there's always a SAK Alox Cadet in my left pocket. The Cadet is so small, slim, lightweight & useful, that there's no reason not to take it everywhere I go. I never took any pics of it, but since it's probably my most carried knife, maybe I should.

My Alox Cadet rides in my right front pocket with whatever modern folder I'm carrying. Truthfully, it's normally enough knife for my needs but I like to have a one handed opener. The SAK makes for a great backup and the tools are very handy. The tools on the Cadet are used more than the blade.

Today, like just about every day, I will have a Champion Plus (the one without the pliers) on my belt. It’s the knife that got me into carrying a blade everyday, and can still serve as a main EDC whenever I need it to. I almost never use it, as my dedicated modern or traditional EDC gets all the cutting chores usually. But every time I leave it off my belt, I seem to need something on it.

Alox Pioneer X because it has the scissors (possibly the most useful folder I've ever owned). Kershaw 1812BLK limited edition in Bohler M390, my favorite steel, USA made, a great cutting and slicing edc, and under 3 oz.
Bark River Micro Canadian. Just always seem to carry a small fixed blade (usually a necker but not today).

Last edited:
I've never been able to post pics online, but I always have 2 SAKs on me that get used every day:
Alox Pioneer
Black-handled Executive.

The Executive doesn't get much mention around here, but I've been carrying mine at least since 1999.

I have used every feature on both SAKs, although I seem to use my Pioneer more on a typical day. Whatever other knife or knives I might choose to carry, I always have these two SAKs. They complement each other very well.

Jim

It's hard to wear out a good Sak. I haven't had my for to long but I don't think I'll ever get tired of having one in my pocket.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't have the spring action of the two, newer alox saks, but tools still work like a champ. Handly lil guy.

I always carry a sak. I have way more than i need so the model changes fairly often. All of my saks are cellidor models. I carry them along with a larger locking folder and the saks get the most use.

....I carry them along with a larger locking folder and the saks get the most use.
I have more than a couple SAK models, but I tend to use two the most (at least so far). I also often carry a larger locking folder with me and the SAK still gets the majority of the use. In fact, I tend to grab the SAK first. On occasion, I'll carry a medium to large slip joint folder and one of my smaller SAKs. Generally the larger knife gets used first in this case.

Recently picked up an alox Vic Electrician. But it has not seen any duty yet.

Alox Mini Champ on my key ring. Alox Cadet in my bag. Alox Pioneer X in my car. Alox Farmer in the kitchen.

Seasonal and situational. During spring and summer, when I spend a lot of time outdoors, the OH Trekker is in my pocket most days. For evenings or out and about, I usually take along one or another of my other four; Swisschamp, Super Tinker or Sportsman, depending on what I'm expecting, but the Manager in my 5th pocket, always.
Y08oczhh.png

ipIQ7weh.png

Last edited:
I have more than a couple SAK models, but I tend to use two the most (at least so far). I also often carry a larger locking folder with me and the SAK still gets the majority of the use. In fact, I tend to grab the SAK first. On occasion, I'll carry a medium to large slip joint folder and one of my smaller SAKs. Generally the larger knife gets used first in this case.

Recently picked up an alox Vic Electrician. But it has not seen any duty yet.

It was my love of traditional pocket knives that brought me to Bladeforums quite a few years ago. Saks have gone along way to pushing them out of my pockets. I still like traditionals but a sak with a locking folder just makes more sense and fits my lifestyle better. If i had to choose between the sak and locking folder, I would choose the sak.

Always a small frame classic of some type on my keys, motorcycle and truck. I have the thicker framed classics like the minichamp. I also keep an Alox Money Clip on a chain on my neck. There's a Marlboro Troubleshooter in my Glovebox and a Alox Farmer on my BOB on a clipped sheath that I can clip to my belt if I step out of the truck.

dqSva1z.jpg
QecIfGL.jpg
5FDNfRu.jpg
6O6Qiab.jpg

This is a typical edc for me and what i consider for me to be a intelligent edc. Your milage may vary.

image.jpeg

I do pretty much the same thing with a 111mm SAK paired recently with the Steel Will Cutjack Mini, a Benchmade Mini Barrage, or Spyderco Native 5. Sometimes the modern is not really much larger, but it has a different mechanism and likely stronger.

Back