Sal saves the day!

I've owned a number of Spydercos over the years.

Done stupid stuff and broke them, never attempted to return them, threw them away and bought a new one.

Never had one break on its own.

Bought my Police model Sept 25, end of November the lock spring just falls out...

December 4 ship it to Spyderco.

December 12 Spyderco receives it.

A few days later my wife gets a call, is on the phone with the lady for over a half hour, by this time it has become very apparent the snooty rude person employed by Spyderco has not one ounce of care that I've had the knife around a month before it broke and they denied the warranty claim.

I'm handed the phone by my wife, when the person on the other end told me my high dollar knife was not covered because of rust and scratches on the handle but they would be happy to give me a coupon of 45% off the purchase of a new Spyderco.

Not going to lie, I gave her a well deserved cuss word and hung up on her, my wife is much much nicer than I am, when she's fed up with your attitude.... It's bad.... It doesn't take much of a crappy attitude to get me going.

Then was basically called a liar by the person running Spydercos Facebook page and after posting pictures of my knife, my proof of purchase and when I shipped the knife was promptly blocked.

I honestly give 2 craps about the money, it's the principle at this point.

Going to upload pics of the knife to photobucket if anyone is interested.

At this point unless an amazing and drastic change is made Spyderco has seen their last thin dime from me, and when the ones I have left break I will throw them away and replace them with Benchmades.

Last edited:
Why was it rusted after a month of use? It doesn't sound like you took care of it, and that you have a history of not taking care of your knives.

I wasn't there, so I can't say either way who's right or wrong.

Neat story.

I've never broken a knife, so I'm curious how you've broken not just one but numerous. Also broken to the point that they weren't in some way salvageable rather than trash bound?

Last edited:
Sounds like we're hearing less than one side of the story here.

Was the knife new when you bought it?
Was it genuine? Where did you buy it from?
What did you use it for?
Did you subject it to any rough treatment?

It is a bit out of character for Spyderco to reject a solid warranty claim out of hand.

I broke the blade on a tenacious opening a meter box lid, broke slap in half.

Broke the tip on an Endura attempting to use it as a screwdriver on a leaking fuel hose on my boat, with clients on board... Knew better but had no choice.

Both totally my fault.

I don't baby my knives but I'm not intentionally breaking them.

I have the knife in my hand and can't find the amount of rust it would take to totally rust out a spacer as they say it did.

Sounds like we're hearing less than one side of the story here.

Was the knife new when you bought it?
Was it genuine? Where did you buy it from?
What did you use it for?
Did you subject it to any rough treatment?

It is a bit out of character for Spyderco to reject a solid warranty claim out of hand.

Brand new upon purchase...

I used it for work, fishing, hunting, around the house, anything that needs cutting gets cut...

Depends on your definition of rough use I suppose, pulled it out of my pocket to cut braided fishing line and the spring fell out...

Bought it off eBay, Spyderco never said it was fake...

I am not taking sides on this, obviously I don't know what happened, but the OP took responsibility for occasionally misusing and damaging his knives. Apparently he is upset because he had one fail that was not misused?

It doesn't matter how many times we misuse other products, if we have a product fail that was NOT misused, that shouldn't absolve the manufacturer of warranty responsibility. I'm not saying that's what happened, just making a general, common sense point.

If in fact rust caused the failure, and the rust was due to lack of care or misuse, then that's not on the manufacturer. In my opinion, the rust is immaterial, unless it actually contributed to the spring failure.

I'll admit my mistakes right ricky tick.

Have eaten more than a few jobs due conditions in or beyond my control, issued refunds, done rechecks etc etc etc.

Call me out all you want for admitting when I was at fault.... If more people took responsibility for their actions this world would be a better place.

YMMV...

That's what I was trying to say in my post. If you broke 100 other knives thru misuse or mistake, and admitted as much, then one breaks that is NOT misused, the other 100 shouldn't count against you. It's not like it's a crime... they are your knives. Agree with you about responsibility, too.

I'll admit my mistakes right ricky tick.

Have eaten more than a few jobs due conditions in or beyond my control, issued refunds, done rechecks etc etc etc.

Call me out all you want for admitting when I was at fault.... If more people took responsibility for their actions this world would be a better place.

YMMV...

That's what I was trying to say in my post. If you broke 100 other knives thru misuse or mistake, and admitted as much, then one breaks that is NOT misused, the other 100 shouldn't count against you. It's not like it's a crime... they are your knives. Agree with you about responsibility, too.

Thank you sir.

I was talking to Spyderco Dude.

Brand new upon purchase...

I used it for work, fishing, hunting, around the house, anything that needs cutting gets cut...

Depends on your definition of rough use I suppose, pulled it out of my pocket to cut braided fishing line and the spring fell out...

Bought it off eBay, Spyderco never said it was fake...

Thanks for the extra info :) The integrity of Spyderco has held up well for many years. I am going to bow out of this one now. I hope this is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

For future reference, H1 steel will hold up particularly well in a salt water environment. It's an especially good choice for serrated knives. Of course it is a Spyderco specialty...

all the best.

Thanks for the extra info :) The integrity of Spyderco has held up well for many years. I am going to bow out of this one now. I hope this is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

For future reference, H1 steel will hold up particularly well in a salt water environment. It's an especially good choice for serrated knives. Of course it is a Spyderco specialty...

all the best.

I don't live near saltwater, this knife was not near saltwater, but I will take that under advisement.

Ryan,
Sal is as good as it gets. I don't know of any other owner that takes the time to respond as he does. I'm sure he'll take care of it. All my Spyderco knives have been fantastic, especially at their respective price points. Let us know how it works out.

Ryan,
Sal is as good as it gets. I don't know of any other owner that takes the time to respond as he does. I'm sure he'll take care of it. All my Spyderco knives have been fantastic, especially at their respective price points. Let us know how it works out.

All of mine have as well, with the exception being the Police model I've always wanted.

It's almost embarrassing to mention the void that is where my Spyderco normally rides in my pocket and in my mind. I'm so fast with a Spyderco out the pocket it's scary. I've been carrying Spydercos since I was 16, my very first Endura was a trade in the high school parking lot for a few boxes of .308 Win.

Back