Sal saves the day!

Well, this was entertaining. :)

Sal, as always, you are the man. I realize that your staff has recently doubled or something like that and that is tough. Growing pains. I am glad this all got worked out even if it got a little ugly. Conflict happens, it is the resolution that matters. I think you handled it very well.

Ryan, you got a chip on your shoulder bro. Life is hard like that. Sorry. I guess you got what you wanted but in my experience I catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I will give you credit, I have always said that if you can dish it out that you better be able to take it and you took Sal's comment in stride. You should just let everybody but Sal's comments roll of you like water off a duck's back. You do not have anything left to gain and I don't think that you are gonna stick around and be a forum member so why battle all the commenters. Save your energy. Anyway, you turned the thread around so I guess all's well that ends well. Enjoy your knife. :thumbup:

Hi IMrcoU,

partially true. We began a lottery for our troops in the middle east in 2003, when the conflict began. We make a Native model with a tan handle and the blade is engraved. We engrave the name of the operation (currently "operation inherent resolve") and "we pray for your safe return" on the blade. Soldiers in the middle east send in their letters for the lottery every month. We read every letter, randomly select 50, and send 50 pcs per month to the troops. We write a letter to them with the knife. Gail signs every letter. We've done this every month for the past 12 years. The troops appreciate the effort.

sal

Things like this is why I carry a Spyderco daily and am a customer for life. The people at Spyderco are the heart of everything. Great family business. You guys rock Sal.

If they shut it down, Mr Glesser I want you to know I respect you very much.

The American Dream realized.

I will be sending the 45% off coupon back to you, I don't feel I deserve it, along with a hand written apology letter to Vanessa and your Facebook crew.

Have a great day.

Good on ya.

/thread.

Well, this was entertaining. :)

Sal, as always, you are the man. I realize that your staff has recently doubled or something like that and that is tough. Growing pains. I am glad this all got worked out even if it got a little ugly. Conflict happens, it is the resolution that matters. I think you handled it very well.

Ryan, you got a chip on your shoulder bro. Life is hard like that. Sorry. I guess you got what you wanted but in my experience I catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I will give you credit, I have always said that if you can dish it out that you better be able to take it and you took Sal's comment in stride. You should just let everybody but Sal's comments roll of you like water off a duck's back. You do not have anything left to gain and I don't think that you are gonna stick around and be a forum member so why battle all the commenters. Save your energy. Anyway, you turned the thread around so I guess all's well that ends well. Enjoy your knife. :thumbup:

Meh, you never know who's going to stick around and become part of this group. I got off to a slightly inauspicious start around here myself and still occasionally step on my d**k. I keep hanging around because I like the knives, I like the people here, I like Sal, but most of all I like the way I feel obligated to hold myself to a little bit higher standard around here. Its good practice...and I need all the practice I can get. :)

Meh, you never know who's going to stick around and become part of this group. I got off to a slightly inauspicious start around here myself and still occasionally step on my d**k. I keep hanging around because I like the knives, I like the people here, I like Sal, but most of all I like the way I feel obligated to hold myself to a little bit higher standard around here. Its good practice...and I need all the practice I can get. :)

Agreed.

I like reading about knives and all the pictures.

Much to the chagrin of some I believe I'll stick around.

" I like the knives, I like the people here, I like Sal, but most of all I like the way I feel obligated to hold myself to a little bit higher standard around here. Its good practice...and I need all the practice I can get. :)[/QUOTE]

+1 on that!

Agreed.

I like reading about knives and all the pictures.

Much to the chagrin of some I believe I'll stick around.

I encourage you to do so. Don't let this thread turn you off. There are some good people on here.

That is impressive Lance. I would be happy if I was even able to kneel on it.

New to the forum, not sure what to say about all the drama! Only just bought my first Spydie last month, an awesome PM2! I was a fan but now seeing this thread I will make a point to buy more... Love seeing an American company succeed and Sal seems like a stand up guy! Glad he stood up for his employees... Handled it much better than I would have:) look forward to being a member of the forum!

Well ... I was saving money for my first Sabenza...decided to pick up a Mantra instead.

Sal,

I have been a Spyderco fan for a long time. Even though I'm all the way over in Switzerland now, I always list your company as being one of the things I love about my first true home (CO).

Hi IMrcoU,

partially true. We began a lottery for our troops in the middle east in 2003, when the conflict began. We make a Native model with a tan handle and the blade is engraved. We engrave the name of the operation (currently "operation inherent resolve") and "we pray for your safe return" on the blade. Soldiers in the middle east send in their letters for the lottery every month. We read every letter, randomly select 50, and send 50 pcs per month to the troops. We write a letter to them with the knife. Gail signs every letter. We've done this every month for the past 12 years. The troops appreciate the effort.

sal
That's just super incredibly amazing on you and the team Sal. So 12 years at 12mo/yr at 50 Natives/mo could be over 7,000 Natives donated to our troops. Once again, incredible! [emoji106]

Thanks for the update Lance. I always look forward to your posts. Plenty of wisdom born of real life experience. Also I can't get enough of your instagram pic's! Anyone into fishing and gorgeous scenery ck out Lances instagram!

Mike

Only 2 Mike, but I'm sure I'm not done. :rolleyes: I haven't posted lately because my GoPro started malfunctioning so it's off for warranty repair. Taking a long time, but I've been told they have good warranty service so I'm trying to be patient. ;) Don't worry though, I haven't stopped catching them. I'll be back posting some pics soon...thanks for watching.

Hi IMrcoU,

sal

Wow! Amazing! Incredible!

My hats off to you sir for your kindness, compassion, generosity, patriotism and all that personal touch!

Well done indeed!

Last edited:
Dude that was restrained compared to what I want to say to several of you...
Fortunately for you many of us have also restrained. You have not only show a great amount of disrespect to a company that every one of us here, and a great many others in the knife world, know to be the absolute best quality and customer service available. But you have also disrespected a fellow forum member and might I say friend in Mr. Glesser with your statements. I challenge you to find any other company that might have handled this situation in the way Spyderco did. You can say it was Mr. Blessed that handled it and not Spyderco, but you would be wrong. Mr. Glesser is Spyderco. If you choose to never to never use this forum again or buy another Spyderco, I assure you none of us will feel a thing. Just more for us. Your behavior throughout this thread was less than that of an upstanding knife guy, more so that of a child who hasn't gotten their way. If any of this offends you, I don't care. You have deserved every bad word any of us has had to say.

To Mr. Glesser,
You once again show the absolutely amazing company that Spyderco is. As a customer I feel blessed to be part of the Spyderco family. When I spend my hard earned dollar on a Spyderco I know that it goes to something more than a money hungry corporation. Knowing the great humanitarian acts, and personal service and commitment you and your company provide, makes me that much more proud to have your product in my pocket.

So once again, thank you for being the absolute best the knife industry has to offer. And I look forward to many more years of being a loyal customer.

I am so impressed with Mr. Glesser I'm going to buy my second Spyderco, a Gayle Bradley Bowie.

Ok, I was going to buy the knife anyway, but I'm still impressed with how Spyderco handles their customers.

Very interesting thread, especially to those of us who have dealt with customers.

id be interested to hear a story from Sal about an angry customer (if it even happened) back when things were in the "running on a shoestring" phase.

Reading through the thread i just had this mental picture of a normal american husband, distressed and digitaly holding spyderco at gunpoint demanding a new knife, with Sal coming and and talking him down (with a bit of good medicine for good measure).

It is easy for a popular company to so worshipped that to an angry customer going online, all the praise might be irritating. im guessing this is what launched the all out interweb warfare.

I am not familiar with the stainless police model, but couldnt to OP have just asked vanessa to please send him a spring.

heck i used a spring from a pen to fix my manix.

i am on the verge of ordering a police g10 a szabo or an emerson cqc8

I'm glad everything turned out.

Ryan it's obvious you use your knives, sometimes hard. I would be frustrated too if a spring just popped out. As previously stated, you have never put in for a warranty claim on a knife broken from misuse. Additionally, you have apologized on-line and in writing to all affected parties. People need to move on and stop with the personal attacks.

Mr. Glesser, you sir are a class act. That's why i carry my digicam PM2 both on and off duty (except I forgot it on my gun belt today and will be without it over the weekend :apologetic: )

Last edited:
Back