Sal saves the day!

Fortunately for you many of us have also restrained. You have not only show a great amount of disrespect to a company that every one of us here, and a great many others in the knife world, know to be the absolute best quality and customer service available. But you have also disrespected a fellow forum member and might I say friend in Mr. Glesser with your statements. I challenge you to find any other company that might have handled this situation in the way Spyderco did. You can say it was Mr. Blessed that handled it and not Spyderco, but you would be wrong. Mr. Glesser is Spyderco. If you choose to never to never use this forum again or buy another Spyderco, I assure you none of us will feel a thing. Just more for us. Your behavior throughout this thread was less than that of an upstanding knife guy, more so that of a child who hasn't gotten their way. If any of this offends you, I don't care. You have deserved every bad word any of us has had to say.

To Mr. Glesser,
You once again show the absolutely amazing company that Spyderco is. As a customer I feel blessed to be part of the Spyderco family. When I spend my hard earned dollar on a Spyderco I know that it goes to something more than a money hungry corporation. Knowing the great humanitarian acts, and personal service and commitment you and your company provide, makes me that much more proud to have your product in my pocket.

So once again, thank you for being the absolute best the knife industry has to offer. And I look forward to many more years of being a loyal customer.

*High five* thank you - yes I was being restrained as well due to the huge amount of respect for Sal and frankly - why feed the gremlins? I am only new here also but what I have seen I really enjoy the group here and have respect for all you.

*High five* thank you - yes I was being restrained as well due to the huge amount of respect for Sal and frankly - why feed the gremlins? I am only new here also but what I have seen I really enjoy the group here and have respect for all you.
On that note them welcome to the group. I stick a Spyderco in my pocket everyday because I know it will perform when I need it to(within the scope of tasks it was designed) I also know that any questions or problems I may have with it are just a short answer away because of the outstanding support Mr. Glesser provides to us. This really is like another family at times, a big happy Spyderco family. And I have a hard time sitting idly by while one of us is bad mouthed. Spyderco is so much more than a knife its a lifestyle, one I am more than proud to be apart of.

As someone who has built, maintained and moderated discussion forums for as long as they've been around, there is one saying that I always keep in mind when I post anything. No disrespect to the disabled (I have a disabled daughter) but it goes like this:

"Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; you may win, but you're still retarded."

There's also another metric by which I judge my own conduct on the Internet. I don't want to post anything I would be ashamed for my mom to read. I was also lucky enough to have mentors early on, and I don't want to let down those people who put their careers on the line to get mine going. Too many people gave too much of themselves for me to be where I am today, and while none of us are angels, I won't give anyone regret for believing in me. The shame alone would kill me.

So, I think it's important to have those anchors, those boundaries, to test everything against what you put out into the world. My biggest mentor is a retired Marine Colonel who went back to school in his spare time as CEO of a large corporation to get his PhD. I was homeless as a temp at an insurance company when I met him a quarter century ago. All these years later and I'm still not worthy. I'm 49 and work out every day and he's even in better shape than me and 20 years older. All I have to do is ask myself what someone like that would think of my post. Actually he would tell me to get off the computer and go workout, so I'll leave you with my few semi-coherent thoughts. It's important to ask yourself, what are your values, and how does what you post align with those values? At least it's important for me personally. YMMV.

Last edited:
Ryan, you seem like a decent guy with a bad temper. (as you stated)

People will continue to chime in only reading your initial butt hole comments and keep pissing you off. It's just what they do.

I commend you for doing a 180 despite your temper. Hopefully you stick with Spyderco in the future and well, you know who to return your knife to in the future. [emoji6]

Ryan, you seem like a decent guy with a bad temper. (as you stated)

People will continue to chime in only reading your initial butt hole comments and keep pissing you off. It's just what they do.

I commend you for doing a 180 despite your temper. Hopefully you stick with Spyderco in the future and well, you know who to return your knife to in the future. [emoji6]

I'm noticing that....

I've never been good at backing down and don't have a drop of quit in me... Even if I'm wrong.

It appears very little good can come from the thread at this point.

I'm carrying Spyderco period, always have always will.

As someone who has built, maintained and moderated discussion forums for as long as they've been around, there is one saying that I always keep in mind when I post anything. No disrespect to the disabled (I have a disabled daughter) but it goes like this:

"Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; you may win, but you're still retarded."

There's also another metric by which I judge my own conduct on the Internet. I don't want to post anything I would be ashamed for my mom to read. I was also lucky enough to have mentors early on, and I don't want to let down those people who put their careers on the line to get mine going. Too many people gave too much of themselves for me to be where I am today, and while none of us are angels, I won't give anyone regret for believing in me. The shame alone would kill me.

So, I think it's important to have those anchors, those boundaries, to test everything against what you put out into the world. My biggest mentor is a retired Marine Colonel who went back to school in his spare time as CEO of a large corporation to get his PhD. I was homeless as a temp at an insurance company when I met him a quarter century ago. All these years later and I'm still not worthy. I'm 49 and work out every day and he's even in better shape than me and 20 years older. All I have to do is ask myself what someone like that would think of my post. Actually he would tell me to get off the computer and go workout, so I'll leave you with my few semi-coherent thoughts. It's important to ask yourself, what are your values, and how does what you post align with those values? At least it's important for me personally. YMMV.

Sage advice.

My Pawpaw was mine, WW2 Marine, toughest man I've ever known.

If every poster in this thread was standing in the same bar, would there be any beef? My thought is that this room full of large men and fierce women all carrying large knives would get along famously. Drinks would be on Sal because he got us all addicted, but other than that, we'd all be a bunch of buds. Two shots of Patron for me.

I keep trying to post but it keeps spinning...

It appears very little good can come from the thread at this point.

I'm carrying Spyderco period, always have always will.
Actually - I do commend you for this one, though if I might (though you think I am an Idiot :-D <---- laugh man, lighten up :))

Ryan Speir said:
I've never been good at backing down and don't have a drop of quit in me... Even if I'm wrong.
Give that a hard look, in life it does take a bigger man to say - I am wrong and make that right, I was pages behind when I hastily posted before reading the other pages and seeing your apology, if you know you are wrong it is OKAY even admirable to admit it, own and take what comes from it. Quitting when your wrong is not really quitting, quitting would be not admitting it and making it right.

So yes I hastily threw a comment out there before being 100% informed, to which I was posting my oops my bad when you called me an idiot...which flared my temp up, so I left it alone after a recant which I probably would have done best without - however looking back and reading this thread - I do think some good can come out of it.

Anyways - a wise old man once told me - it is quite okay to have a disagreement, treat others the same as you would want treated and don't lower yourself down to a standard less than what you would command, and if you do, we all make mistakes, make it right and move on.

Last edited:
This has been a great thread. Pissing contests and all. No need to force a closure, it'll happen all on its own. But until then, it tells a story of a knife, a knife company, and reminds us why we are endeared to one brand or another.

Personally I did not even try out a Spyderco for wayyyy too long, mostly because of petty cosmetic issues. But now I've found that some of the things I didn't like the looks of, happen to be some of my favorite features. I finally talked myself into trying one....then came another, and another.....well many of you know that story. [emoji56]

But even when I hear CS success stories like this one, it's not the CS department that keeps me coming back, but the consistent quality that keeps me from needing customer support or warranty work.

So ramble on people. What's more appropriate for a Spyderco sub-forum than real life issues, and a successful outcome. The added piss and vinegar just keeps it entertaining. [emoji2]

Not trying to dogpile on you Ryan, but I think the main takeaway is that you could have achieved the same result (getting Sal's attention, replacing your knife) with a different attitude, and it would have been happier for everyone along the way.

That being said, I appreciate your honesty in the thing. You didn't claim you were a saint and were instead honest about your lapse in professionalism when talking to Spyderco's employees, and also that you admitted to beating on your knives in a way that probably exceeded the recommended use for folders. I've seen a lot of posts in general on the internet where there's a selective retelling of the event and then slowly over the course of the post chain, it comes out that all was not as it seemed. You told your side of the story honestly, and I hope other first-time posters that feel they have complaints in the future manage to tell the story straight in the same manner.

I also know that the hero status given to Sal here may seem excessive to a newcomer and we may all seem like hyper-biased Spyderco freaks. But here's the thing to appreciate about Sal: he simultaneously runs one of the most successful knife businesses in the world, while taking an active role in the knife design process, the material sourcing process (getting carpenter steels into Taiwan, trying to figure out if Aogami gold is useable for a sprint run, etc.), the manufacturing process that involves factories in 3 different countries, the marketing process (when Spyderco has a booth at shot show or blade show, the whole upper echelon of Spyderco shows up, not a couple of sales reps), and ALSO moderates this forum and reads every thread. I've worked in companies small to large, all successful, and I've only ever seen one executive/owner with that level of effort and dedication.

I'm looking forward to hitting someone with the "Sal is the man how dare you hammer" ..... &#128513;

Second round is on me.

Romance is in the air and it smells like a rutting Alabama black belt bruiser buck.

Grab the day by the G10 gents

Last edited:
Anyone notice this thread has almost 12,000 views
Seems like a lot for the amount of time it's been up.
Just a random observation. Sorry you read this. Haha

Last edited:
Back