Sal, will you please take a look at this?

I would never notice something like that but I can see what you are talking about. I'm most curious about the timeline you mention (in the last couple of years). I believe that in the last year or two, Golden has switched most (if not all) of the Golden models to a robotic sharpening process. Could be that the robot is a tad more aggressive than the humans it replaced? I don't know, just throwing a guess out there that came to mind based on the timeline.

In the past six months I have purchased 5 PM2 and 3 Military knives, three were CMP110V and the remainder sprints/exclusives.

All of the edges were perfect, none of the variations shown by the OP.

From my experience in manufacturing, when a new belt is used they often are initially more aggressive in material removal, then settle down to longer run with predictable tolerances.

Regards,
FK

I would never notice something like that but I can see what you are talking about. I'm most curious about the timeline you mention (in the last couple of years). I believe that in the last year or two, Golden has switched most (if not all) of the Golden models to a robotic sharpening process. Could be that the robot is a tad more aggressive than the humans it replaced? I don't know, just throwing a guess out there that came to mind based on the timeline.

Aggressive robots? Very unlikely.

1524097-zz.jpg

The earliest example of this that I have is my Tan/m4 manix 2 sprint run. I bought 2 of them back in either 2008 or 2009, can't remember. Anyway, one of them was perfect and the other was really bad. Actually worse than any of the pictures in the op. I should post some pics to show.

Since it was only one of them and a fluke thing at that point, I overlooked it. Only in the last 1-2 years has it started to happen with over half the spydies that I buy, so that's why I made the thread.

And interesting about the sharpening robots. Did not know that!

Aggressive robots? Very unlikely.

1524097-zz.jpg

Maybe the robots were just hungover from a big ol' bender...? :D.

I picked up a Miitary about a year and a half ago, and had a similar "funky" grind. Not really an issue for me personally, as the knife is a user. Figured I might as well throw in a picture.

Maybe the robots were just hungover from a big ol' bender...? :D.

I picked up a Miitary about a year and a half ago, and had a similar "funky" grind. Not really an issue for me personally, as the knife is a user. Figured I might as well throw in a picture.

See, I personally would not be able to deal with that. The blade is the soul of the knife, and accordingly the most important part to me.

That is excessive, in anyone's eyes I'd imagine. That is literally years worth of steel removed before the knife is even pulled from the box.

The only reason I made this thread is because it seems like such an easy thing to fix. I'd argue that it would actually save spyderco money. No one can convince me that sharpening the knife with a couple well placed passes is any faster or cheaper than going over the knife so many times that 1/16 of an inch of steel has been removed.

Then again, maybe I'm just insanely picky about this one single thing and it's no big deal?! Regardless, I just got in an urban lightweight in k390 today and it is perfect.....thankfully.

I've probably owned between 50 and 70 SPydercos. With the exception of one Sprint run Mille all have been what I consider remarkable quality given the cost. Were they perfect? No, but for that matter I've seen some "variation" in execution even in CRK knives which on average cost 50-150% more.
All in all I'm a big fan of Spyderco's and consider them the benchmark in value/quality vs cost.

I will say that the ricasso area is where I see the greatest variation. Having sharpened quite a few knives myself that doesn't surprise me. It's a tricky area of the blade.

That is excessive, in anyone's eyes I'd imagine. That is literally years worth of steel removed before the knife is even pulled from the box.

You would imagine wrong. :)

I'm fine with it. I checked some of my collection going back to late 80's and early 90's. I found that it's difficult to find unsharpened knives in my collection. :)

BTW, are you really standing by the possibility of a thousand or thousands of Spyderco knives? ;)

So people expect Spyderco to put a bunch of monkeys on the floor with Wicked Edge Sharpeners to make sure the edges are picture perfect? It's what it seems like. Please, if anyone has used a single knife for 100 years and it's become unusable due to so many sharpenings, please raise your hands.

I get that a question is there but so far nothing seems worth getting Spyderco to raise prices over. Maybe there should be an option to order directly from Spyderco with a completely unsharpened edge? Sell the knives at full MSRP so the really, really anal people can get edges they want without having years and years of steel removed. After all, those powered grinders only save about several hours and a lot of money per knife. Just saying.

Maybe spyderco could have a separate division and hire a lot of really old school sword sharpeners from Japan move to the US and put edges on by hand and finishing with extremely fine stones the size of rice grains and have edges as good as $100,000 katanas? It'd only raise the prices by about $99,800 per knife.

Maybe Spyderco can check in with the Taichung Taiwan plant and inquire how they sharpen. I'm guessing it's not with Wicked Edge sharpeners. ;)

I guess it could be an option for spyderco to produce several less models from Golden every year or drastically cut down on the number of knives per model produced so they can go a little slower on the edge grinds? And if one or two aren't perfectly straight they can sell it for a loss at the seconds sale?

Or they could put sharpening notches or giant useless choils in all of their blades so people don't notice like a lot of other companies do?

Just spit balling ideas.

You would imagine wrong. :)

I'm fine with it. I checked some of my collection going back to late 80's and early 90's. I found that it's difficult to find unsharpened knives in my collection. :)

BTW, are you really standing by the possibility of a thousand or thousands of Spyderco knives? ;)

Haha no, that was hyperbole. Definitely hundreds though, without a doubt. At least 200 in the last 10 years. :)

So people expect Spyderco to put a bunch of monkeys on the floor with Wicked Edge Sharpeners to make sure the edges are picture perfect? It's what it seems like. Please, if anyone has used a single knife for 100 years and it's become unusable due to so many sharpenings, please raise your hands.

I get that a question is there but so far nothing seems worth getting Spyderco to raise prices over. Maybe there should be an option to order directly from Spyderco with a completely unsharpened edge? Sell the knives at full MSRP so the really, really anal people can get edges they want without having years and years of steel removed. After all, those powered grinders only save about several hours and a lot of money per knife. Just saying.

Maybe spyderco could have a separate division and hire a lot of really old school sword sharpeners from Japan move to the US and put edges on by hand and finishing with extremely fine stones the size of rice grains and have edges as good as $100,000 katanas? It'd only raise the prices by about $99,800 per knife.

Yes, because asking spyderco to sharpen the knives how they used to is EXACTLY the same as expecting them to give me picture perfect edges with a wicked edge.

Maybe I should have checked with you before posting the thread? The kind of post you made is exactly the reason I've never made an account here.

Sal said he'd address it with Eric. I accomplished what I set out to do, your opinions aside. :)

Maybe Spyderco can check in with the Taichung Taiwan plant and inquire how they sharpen. I'm guessing it's not with Wicked Edge sharpeners. ;)

Ive seen a lot of topics that everything from the taichung factory is with super tight tolerances, EXCEPT the edges they put on the knives

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

At least 200 in the last 10 years.

That's about the same as me. A considerable amount. Too many in fact.

I could have done worse stuff with the money though. :D

Joe

I picked up an s110v military about a month ago, it also has an excessive amount removed by the ricasso. I wound up dealing with it, but I don't like it. It makes the blade thicker behind the edge, it just does. I'm not buying the "it's a production knife blah blah blah" argument. My Swiss Army knives are not over ground, my esee knives aren't either. I feel like it's something that they can probably work out in production, and I'm glad it got brought up, because now mabe it will.
Ps- I love spyderco

Yes, because asking spyderco to sharpen the knives how they used to is EXACTLY the same as expecting them to give me picture perfect edges with a wicked edge.

Maybe I should have checked with you before posting the thread? The kind of post you made is exactly the reason I've never made an account here.

Sal said he'd address it with Eric. I accomplished what I set out to do, your opinions aside. :)

Calm, man. I wasn't being totally serious. I thought the image of a bunch of monkeys sitting on a factory floor trying to figure out a wicked edge was funny.

Back